DIY Seat Upholstery & Repair - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

DIY Seat Upholstery & Repair

Been wanting to do this awhile, acquiring a set of OEM seats in decent, workable, condition to recover in OEM like material. I say like material, only because I have not received what I ordered on eBay yet.
I have never done any upholstery work before except maybe repair my leather couch frame that broke years ago. This will be a learning experience as we go.

My goal is to strip off the old material on the seats I have and reupholster with new black denim material with the pattern that Jeep used in 1984. Only modifications from original is the added Fold & Tumble seat I acquired from a early YJ model (1987-90) that is the same latching system of those from the Jeep CJ of 1985-86 model year. Was contemplating using a fixed bench seat like I had but, my Repli-Tub already has the front hinge brackets setup on the floor. I just need to acquire the correct latching brackets for the sides that are attached to the wheelhouses.

I have three front seats and two rear seats to work with. Two CJ front seats I bought from Craigslist a couple of years ago for $40.00 and the rear YJ fold & tumble from Craigslist also for $40.00 with a YJ front seat thrown in with the deal. Plus, another fixed rear seat that forum member EricRThompson gave me for free. I thank him for that. Might turn that one into a garage couch/seat raised off the ground some as it is in excellent condition.

My seat candidates:

Attached Thumbnails
2CJ 1YJ Front Seats.jpg   87-95 YJ Fold & Tumble.jpg   79 Rear Seat.jpg  
JoonHoss and Rsb201 like this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #2 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 05:49 AM
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

post #3 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 06:53 AM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

I did this a while back using the reman Laredo sets that used to be on eBay from cjLaredo. I added a few layers of foam to the exit side of each seat to bolster them up a bit, while also swapping D for P while I was at it. It was a little more involved than I expected - the hog rings often took quite a bit of effort to get off (used an angle grinder for most of them), and then to get everything to seat correctly, but the end result was 100% worth it.

Before:

After:
harryjbi likes this.

post #4 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 09:20 AM
maddanecj7
1980 CJ7 

walkerhound ..that is a VERY nice result .. what did you do to the leather to fix the holes ? i have a pair of laredo seats , that needs the same treatment..

my build thread :https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/danish-cj7-rebuild-1373618/
post #5 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 09:35 AM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddanecj7 View Post
walkerhound ..that is a VERY nice result .. what did you do to the leather to fix the holes ? i have a pair of laredo seats , that needs the same treatment..
These were the ramanufactured sets that used to be sold on eBay - I can't take any credit other than installing them. The seller's user name is cjlaredo, his real name is George

He still has a black Laredo bottom on eBay, but he hasn't sold any of the nutmeg covers in years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-CJ-Lar...s/362535703669
post #6 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 PM
CJLoad

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I have also ordered some seat covers and plan on installing when the come (late Feb early Mar). My hog rings came off pretty easy with an pair of wire cutters.
Walkerhound, did you have to use a steamer to get the results you have, they look great by the way, or did they fit that way naturally?

Kenny
post #7 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 02:06 PM
EricRThompson
1979 CJ7 

Garage
I've done a few interiors in cars in the past and they are tricky at first, but once you get the hang of them, it's not too hard. I'm no good at sewing, but my mother is!

Turkey cutters work great for cutting and shaping the foam. You can buy the foam online, or even craft stores like Michael's sell it.

I have 3 hog ring tools, you can borrow them Keith, text me.

My wife bought me heated seat inserts for my Jeep for Christmas. Just got em in this weekend. Now I just need to get the turd running to test em out in the snow! They were a little pricey, but think they'll be worth it! You might want to consider a set if you're ripping the seats apart. https://www.quadratec.com/products/24222_9001.htm
post #8 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 03:30 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdatkins View Post
Mind scooting over a bit?

(Thanks)

Hoss
mikeyboat likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #9 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Mind scooting over a bit?

(Thanks)

Hoss

Is there room for three?

Matt
mikeyboat likes this.
post #10 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 04:17 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Will this post be in 3D?
Attached Thumbnails
Movie watching3D.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #11 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

I bought an older model Singer 626, it has a floating foot. Bought it from a guy on ebay who lived not too far away in Galveston. He completely rebuilt it good as new. Older guy had multiple sewing machine shops in the Houston/Galveston area. These are very sturdy machines that can do some heavy material, steel gears and all. I also purchased some marine grade vinyl and made seats for my boat, not the prettiest but I was getting better with each one. Cutting the foam was a pain getting it to shape just right, you really do need the right tools and I was too cheap to buy them . I did a lot of research before settling on this machine, it does just what I want and the price wasn't too bad, think it was around $250, been a long time. Just be aware, not all 626 machines are steel gears, but if you can find one, it will serve your purpose.

As for the tricks to sewing....Utube, tons of folks out there can show the ins and outs and there is a lot to learn but I did enjoy it....enough that I still have the machine.
post #12 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 04:31 PM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJLoad View Post
Walkerhound, did you have to use a steamer to get the results you have, they look great by the way, or did they fit that way naturally?
No steamer, but it may have been a good idea. I probably could've fit more foam under there. If it ever starts to look saggy, I'll redo them that way.

Like anything you get to look that nice, you tend to protect them - so I've got them all (even the rear) under bestop nutmeg covers.
post #13 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Here's the link to ones I bought off of eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CJ-197...97.m4902.l9144

Strange purchase, you had to buy but not pay for them so they could invoice you for the additional 80 bucks for the denim material. Could not find a way to do that since eBay has you locked in for the initial purchase amount once you are committed to buying through PayPal. Had to write a note to the seller and they made another invoice for the additional charge.
They are out of Anaheim, CA and saw a couple of others with ridiculous shipping charges from Anaheim also. Probably the same company hoping to get someone suckered in for the inflated shipping costs.

They come with "onetime use" Hog Ring pliers so I know that means Chinese junk that will break on the very first ones. My wife got me a set from Amazon for Christmas this year and they included about a 200 hog rings to. Will see how well they work.... made in China also.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #14 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRThompson View Post

My wife bought me heated seat inserts for my Jeep for Christmas. You might want to consider a set if you're ripping the seats apart. https://www.quadratec.com/products/24222_9001.htm

That ain't gonna happen. I never take my open top Jeep out in the winter and would probably accidentally turn them on in the hot summer month's and short circuit them from sweating. Fry my a** in the process.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #15 of 55 Old 02-11-2019, 07:10 PM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

I got a set of hog rings at tractor supply. Turns out they actually have a farm animal purpose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in