DIY paint help and recommendations - JeepForum.com
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 08-29-2021, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
DIY paint help and recommendations

Alright everyone, I've finally decided to paint this Jeep project myself. For those who have been around for the past year reading my restoration thread, you know I've gone back and fourth for awhile. Ive reached out to many painters and they are just too busy or don't want to do it. Ive gotten the "I'll call you in a week..." for the whole spring and summer months.... I'm simply tired of waiting.

I thought maybe a thread on paint body inside of the CJ page may help me and many other people who want to tackle this themselves. (it may already exist, just can't find it)

I've got my Jeep in epoxy primer currently, I have a large space to paint in, I just need to get it there.
With all that being said, here are my questions:

1) How do I go about laying down color? paint behind hinges first, apply hinges and fit up, finish painting Jeep or no?
2) Should big parts like tub, fenders hood and grill all be sprayed on or off the Jeep?
3) Does anyone know any quality paints and clear coats? (not afraid to spend a little more on these products)
4) Does anyone have any pictures of spray booths or recommendations on the construction of one? I have an idea but open to other ideas.

Im going for the original Ice Blue metallic from 1985. I believe I have good paint guns, I know most of the work is in the prep. Can anyone just throw out some advice I may not even be considering with painting myself?

Thank you all for any advice!!! Enjoy some pictures of where I currently stand.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5372.jpg   IMG_5373.jpg   IMG_5374.jpg   IMG_5375.jpg  
Axhammer likes this.

CJ-7 build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-29-2021, 12:04 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What level of quality are you looking to achieve, all one color, five foot nice, or car show ?

Hinges, hood and tailgate openings, door jambs, and other tricky spots are often painted first. Disassembly of the major body parts will result in a better quality job, all other things equal. Work with your local auto body supply house for primer, paint and prep chemical recommendations. Surf the web and use the Google, lots of people have done nice paint jobs in their garage draped with plastic or in a plastic tent. I purchased a used Vo-Tech school auto body textbook

Use proper respiratory protection.
DirectMatrix likes this.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #3 of 38 Old 08-29-2021, 02:03 PM
Rsb201

1986 CJ7 

Garage
Deer Slayer, I am in the same stage as you. I will following along. I have actually decided to tarp up my carport and paint mine outside. Waiting for fall for the humidity and temps to go down.
ranger83 likes this.

1986 CJ7 4.2 Weber T176 D300

post #4 of 38 Old 08-29-2021, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
What level of quality are you looking to achieve, all one color, five foot nice, or car show?
Good question! I am really shooting for that OEM, off the assembly line look but with a car show look... I want it to look factory but better..., If you know what I mean. I have left a lot of factory blemishes like minor spot weld divots and waves in the metal.

CJ-7 build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 Old 08-29-2021, 02:40 PM
Girth83
1982 CJ5 

The new thing for occasional use seems to be the inflatable spray booths? They come big and small, have setups with ventilation/filtration, but having them inside is probably still a good idea to control temp/humidity and stop any wind from blowing them around. Added cost, and plastic sheet/DIY ventilation has been done for years and years..... but a slick solution if you felt like it.

I don't know auto paint. I do hack work on aircraft. lol Compatible products are important though, and that's where you local paint/auto body retailer will probably be able to steer you best. For me, first step to any good coating is making sure to prep and CLEAN.
post #6 of 38 Old 08-29-2021, 03:54 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I believe you are making a good choice in painting it yourself, with a little practice and watching YouTube videos, most anyone can do this.

You have to paint the parts separately to some extent requardless of whether or not you paint the final top coat on individual parts, and then assemble the painted parts, or paint the Jeep after it is assembled, if that makes any sense.

To answer your questions.

1. You will want to paint certain parts prior to assembly for rust prevention. Stuff like the door hinges, and where the hinges mount on the steel doors and tub for example. I guess you could get everything in primer, and then assemble the primed parts, but you still have to “Cut In” certain parts before assembly, like the inner fender that gets the body color, I'm talking about the inner fender that is under the hood when the hood is closed. I’m thinking you should paint the small parts first, this will allow you to learn to paint on the smaller parts, and then plan on installing them carefully without scratching the fresh paint. Start with stuff like the hinges, windshield frame, Roll bar, fenders, grill, doors, hood, tailgate and the metal dash. All of these can be final top coat painted prior to assembly.

2. I kinda covered some of this above. Are you going to paint the tub interior, exterior and bottom with the same color paint like the factory? Or are you putting bedliner inside the tub? How about the underside of the tub? If you are going to paint it all the same color, it will have to be done in stages. Maybe color coat the underside and firewall of the tub first. Color coat the interior in another stage. Color coat the tub exterior last, before or after assembly, you could do it either way.

3. Are you going single stage or base coat clear coat? Back when I was actively painting cars and aircraft routinely I was able to go to the local Paint Jobber store for DuPont paint & supplies. The last one I dealt with was a Napa store in North Bend Oregon. If you can find a local paint store to buy your products that is what I would suggest. There are many online sources for paint supplies as well. My Kid Painted his race car about five years age, and he bought everything from Summit Racing. So this is something you need to figure out now, and then stick with the same company would be my suggestion.

4. As far as building a temporary paint booth goes, that can be as simple as hanging a sheet of plastic over the area where you are painting. I’ll post a picture of my Firebird getting painted in a WWII era aircraft hangar, at Coos Aviation in North Bend. I put DuPont Centari on it back in 1999, that’s a single stage system (acrylic enamel). It got a little dirt in it, but it turned out pretty good, definitely better that a factory paint job, so probably up to your expectations and desire.

If you are going with a base coat/clear coat system, a little dirt here and there will be invisible after you wet sand it and buff it out, so that’s a benefit.

When I painted my Firebird in 1999, I painted the door jambs before final paint. I painted the hood & trunk separately. I had to paint the underside of them first, and then tape it off the underside, and paint the exterior of the hood and trunk separately. I had to tape off the glass, door jambs and engine compartment under the hood, but I painted the inside of the fenders that cannot be accessed with the hood installed.

This is the way I envision my CJ-7 getting done in the future. I plan on painting the boll bar, fenders, grill, hood, tailgate, doors and all other small parts separately. I plan on painting the tub, separately in stages, all Sebring Red. Then I will assemble the Jeep one step at a time, starting with installing the tub, and then the front sheet metal. If for some reason I am not happy with the results, I will wet sand it, tape it off, and apply a final color coat to the exterior only, similar to the way I did my Firebird, in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
7107FED0-E9FC-4594-B47E-60EA4FBE8096.jpg   78E2D115-38E1-4EA2-8ED9-853106484E9F.jpg  
First-Jeep likes this.

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #7 of 38 Old 08-30-2021, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
I believe you are making a good choice in painting it yourself, with a little practice and watching YouTube videos, most anyone can do this.
2. Are you going to paint the tub interior, exterior and bottom with the same color paint like the factory? Or are you putting bedliner inside the tub? How about the underside of the tub?
3. Are you going single stage or base coat clear coat?
Ax, Youtube has been my friend lately with all sorts of paint videos. I feel like I know what I'm doing but at the same time, I don't know what I'm doing. I think my biggest hurdle is how to paint under hinges and such. Jeeps have a lot of faying surfaces and I don't want to see my paint mushroom out under the hinges after I've bolted them up. But to answer your questions, the bottom, inside and exterior is going to be painted the same. No bed liner on the inside but on the bottom, I have 3M paintable undercoating. I'm also going to do a base coat and clear, factory metallics came factory with clear I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth83 View Post
The new thing for occasional use seems to be the inflatable spray booths? They come big and small, have setups with ventilation/filtration, but having them inside is probably still a good idea to control temp/humidity and stop any wind from blowing them around. Added cost, and plastic sheet/DIY ventilation has been done for years and years..... but a slick solution if you felt like it.
I found one of these inflatable ones on Ebay for about $500. could be an option though, the reviews I've seen on YouTube are actually really good for what it is

CJ-7 build
post #8 of 38 Old 08-30-2021, 07:51 AM
Ollie09
1977 CJ5 

I used a $50 Lowes canopy and some plastic drop clothes to make a spray booth. Painted 3 cars this way and never had any bugs or dirt in the paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Body primer.jpg   P1010121.jpg   P1010125.jpg   Body paint 3.jpg  
post #9 of 38 Old 08-30-2021, 08:41 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks Ollie, I like your temp paint booth idea.

It looks like you painted your tub entirely like it came from the factory, but better. Can you talk about how you went about getting paint on the bottom, interior and exterior. Did you do it in stages, similar to what I discussed?

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #10 of 38 Old 08-30-2021, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
@Ollie09 , I really like that wheeled cart you have your tub on!

Looking at the tent idea; I have one of those pop up tents that I won in part of a raffle lol I was thinking about using it but didn't think it would be large enough to move around in. Another option I have is my uncles pole barn. It has a concrete floor, plenty of space, and I could bring in a fan and filter to have a filtered air intake and exhaust in the windows. Just need to hang up plastic. I could also do this in my garage but I dislike having the fumes linger into the house.

CJ-7 build
post #11 of 38 Old 08-30-2021, 01:01 PM
DirectMatrix
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I suggest David Sutton's channel Redneck Garage for all things garage/DIY painting as a good starting point. He reports on his successes and failures just the same.

He's on here occasionally @dwsutton
Deer-Slayer_5 likes this.

92 YJ, Delilah

post #12 of 38 Old 08-30-2021, 01:19 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

If you make a mistake in painting there is always sandpaper. Here's some good sources tptools.com and autobodytoolmart.com
I painted everything on mine separate. The factory didn't and that's why they rust so bad. The biggest problem with painting yourself is paralysis by analysis. I'm sure you'll do fine. If you lived closer you could borrow my rotisserie. I made it just for the Jeep project and it was well worth the time and effort.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1500.jpg   100_1486.jpg  

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

Mistakes were made, stuff Happens !!
post #13 of 38 Old 08-30-2021, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
@Jim1611 , did you put undercoating or bed liner on the inside and underside of the front fenders?

Also, the rotisserie would be nice but I think I'm going to paint the bottom first, inside, and then outside. I'm not so worried about blemishes on the bottom. Only I will know they are there. I don't mine having some blemishes on the inside just because there are more objects in there to hide it and carpet may or may not go in.

I really like everyone whos jumping in on this! I have a lot more ideas and my confidence is growing little by little. Keep the pictures and comments coming!

CJ-7 build
post #14 of 38 Old 08-30-2021, 02:09 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer-Slayer_5 View Post
@Ollie09 , I really like that wheeled cart you have your tub on!

Looking at the tent idea; I have one of those pop up tents that I won in part of a raffle lol I was thinking about using it but didn't think it would be large enough to move around in. Another option I have is my uncles pole barn. It has a concrete floor, plenty of space, and I could bring in a fan and filter to have a filtered air intake and exhaust in the windows. Just need to hang up plastic. I could also do this in my garage but I dislike having the fumes linger into the house.
Pole barns a great. I did mine in a pole barn
Attached Thumbnails
DCD4C065-8AB0-4824-BD12-E9E8B3409FA4.jpg  

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #15 of 38 Old 08-30-2021, 03:12 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer-Slayer_5 View Post
@Jim1611 , did you put undercoating or bed liner on the inside and underside of the front fenders?

Also, the rotisserie would be nice but I think I'm going to paint the bottom first, inside, and then outside. I'm not so worried about blemishes on the bottom. Only I will know they are there. I don't mine having some blemishes on the inside just because there are more objects in there to hide it and carpet may or may not go in.

I really like everyone whos jumping in on this! I have a lot more ideas and my confidence is growing little by little. Keep the pictures and comments coming!
I sprayed the inside with UPOL Raptor bedliner and the underside, firewall and inner fenders with UPOL undercoating. I first did the undercoating then the green paint. Last was to remount the rotisserie on the bottom of the tub so I could spray the bedliner inside the tub. It's easier to tape paint than the bedliner as it is rough making it hard to get a nice crisp edge. That order worked well for me.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1504.jpg  

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

Mistakes were made, stuff Happens !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in