Difference between T5 and T176 throw out bearing?? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By John Strenk
  • 1 Post By oldschool74cj5

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-31-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Difference between T5 and T176 throw out bearing??

Hi all, I hope you all are safe and sound. I have not found an answer to my question (using the keywords I chose), so I am looking to the community for some help.

I am getting close for my T5 to NP435 swap. Transmission will be completely assembled today, and I am looking to order the rest of my needed parts: pilot bushing (Novak or AA), a new 1-1/8" clutch, transmission/tc mount, and new throw out bearing.

I have two questions I need some guidance on.
1. For my throw out bearing will Napa be sufficient in product quality? If no, suggested alternatives?
2. Is there a difference between the throw out bearing form the T5 and T176? (I have a bellhousing for a T176 with arm)

If you have used the AA NP435/D300 adapter and have some sage advice to impart about the process, I will gleefully listen.

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

4.2L w/Howell TBI, T5, D300, Dana 30 w/locker/AMC 20 posit, 3.31 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-01-2020, 04:02 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I don't think there is a difference. But if you are unsure, Novak sells and adjustable TO bearing.
kuss312 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 8 Old 04-01-2020, 05:04 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

if you are changing the clutch disc you should change it all. the pressure plate,clutch disc, and the throw out bearing. speaking from experience change the clutch fork while out also. the P.O. of my cj change the clutch kit. a year later i had to pull to change the fork. if not one part will fail and will be taking the transmission out again. double check but i believe the t150 used the same size shaft and spline count. so a clutch kit for a 79 and older cj with a t150 transmission will work.

oldschool

post #4 of 8 Old 04-01-2020, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

if you are changing the clutch disc you should change it all. the pressure plate,clutch disc, and the throw out bearing. speaking from experience change the clutch fork while out also. the P.O. of my cj change the clutch kit. a year later i had to pull to change the fork. if not one part will fail and will be taking the transmission out again. double check but i believe the t150 used the same size shaft and spline count. so a clutch kit for a 79 and older cj with a t150 transmission will work.

oldschool
The arm failed? I have never heard of this before. I am not doubting you, I'm just saying this is a first hearing this. That is interesting.

I agree with changing all parts.

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

post #5 of 8 Old 04-02-2020, 03:50 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

oldschool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking1Futs View Post
The arm failed? I have never heard of this before. I am not doubting you, I'm just saying this is a first hearing this. That is interesting.

I agree with changing all parts.
I don't know how quick this happens to a new clutch fork but I've replaced a couple of 40 year old clutch forks on my CJ's before. On one the push rod wore right through the cup on the end.

Usually it's just normal wear. I mean if you put a new one on 10 years ago you probably don't need to replace it. Look it over carefully for severe wear.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #6 of 8 Old 04-02-2020, 07:08 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

the arm failed where the linkage pushes against the arm. the linkage looked like it was replaced with the new low quality china stuff that had a sharp point on the end of the rounded surface. it actually wore a hole in the arm. i was driving then heard a small pop and felt the clutch loose about half of the pedal. when i got home o found abut half of the linkage sticking through a hole in the arm

i also measured the thickness of the arm on the inner pivot point and all the years of use it was about half the thickness it should have been

oldschool
John Strenk likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-04-2020, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Well good to know! Good stuff here,
I will check and measure my fork, but probably just replace if there is any doubt.

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

post #8 of 8 Old 04-07-2020, 09:05 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Here's why you need to replace the fork. I used a Crown replacement made in Israel.
Attached Thumbnails
forkone.jpg   forktwo.jpg  

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in