Dicovered CJ-7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-03-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
85CJEric
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dicovered CJ-7

Has anybody ever heard of the "prospector" edition of the CJ-7? I stumbled across one the other day and had never heard of it? What are the differences between this and anyother edition out there? Is it an interior/trim thing or are there some serious bada** differences?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

Pictures please!

Sounds like it could be a dealer option, but if you could get pictures we'd all be impressed!
post #3 of 17 Old 02-03-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
85CJEric
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Correction: it is labeled "Prosperity". It still looks factory though. I was basing this off memory from last weekend
Attached Thumbnails
SDC10441.jpg  

post #4 of 17 Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 PM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

I'm working on it, Eric. Any information you can supply on optional equipment? Things like Laredo package - tach, clock, leather steering wheel and grab bar, winch, transmission and engine package, etc?
post #5 of 17 Old 02-03-2011, 05:30 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Never heard of that one coming out of the Jeep factory as an option. More then likely it is a dealer prepped sales gimmick back in the day.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #6 of 17 Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Shiftace
1977 CJ5 

What'd you say it was covered with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpets View Post
...it is perfectly acceptable to take a sawzall to anything you can't figure out, that is how we all learn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
85CJEric
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I noticed it had a tach, grab bar, and side steps. beyond that, it appeared to be the standard, desirable CJ-7. The owner was nowhere in sight, but when the weather turns nice again, I plan to make another family day trip there and "bump" into them once again. Although it needs some serious work, it would be a great project if the wife will allow.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-04-2011, 02:03 AM
raperfam

1977 CJ7 

yep looks to be a dealer gimmick----but i like it. never seen one before.
was it for sale? how much?
post #9 of 17 Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
85CJEric
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't run into the owner, but then again, I wasn't allowed to look too hard. Next time we head that direction, I may have to "bump into" the owner and start a discussion. I thought ut was an interesting CJ and would love to find out more. If it ends up for sale, I will definitly let everyone know.

keith460/raperfarm- what do you mean when you said it may have been a dealer prepped gimmick? I have never head of anything like that?
post #10 of 17 Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

very common for dealers to add graphics, especially to try to sell a certain model that either A) wasn't selling due to a questionable color/options/lesser motor- like the 4 cyl; or B) was fancied up to command a premium price making it appear more special than it actually was

not much different than car dealers today installing a lift, wheels tires, ground effects, or decals/tint, etc to a car to help move it off the lot or draw attention.

Hoss

I used to be a people person, until people ruined it...
post #11 of 17 Old 02-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Dealers commonly created "editions" of certain vehicles, sometimes using a local flavor. Like the "Razorback Edition" in Arkansas, or the "Ozarks Edition" in Missouri. I've even seen a newer TJ with stripes and stickers calling it the "Georgia Bulldog Edition." Basically, if you've got access to a vinyl graphics cutter you can create whatever type of special edition you want. I have no idea what a Prosperity refers to, but it must have made sense to someone at the time. There is a town called Prosperity in southwestern PA, maybe that had something to do with it?

The point is, these did not leave the Jeep factory looking like this. It was probably a base model CJ7 that the dealer slapped some stickers on and raised the MSRP a thousand bucks or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
85CJEric
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I finally ran into the owner. We sat and talked for a bit about it. Its an 85 CJ-7 he bought new when he was in high school (in 1985). He had no answers why it was labled "Prosperity", but he loved it anyway. The jeep has a 258, T4 tranny. All original. It sat for 8 ys before he started to replace the minor things n order to make it drivable again. I tried to recruit him into our little addiction here, so who knows, we may see him soon enough. Bottom line.....not for sale. Truly a Bummer
post #13 of 17 Old 02-20-2011, 01:05 PM
fredrok
2012 JK Wrangler 

Prosperity:

–noun, plural -ties. 1. a successful, flourishing, or thriving condition, especially in financial respects; good fortune.

As it pertains to CJs, anyone see the irony in this?

If you don't have time to do it right, how will you ever find time to do it again?
post #14 of 17 Old 02-20-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
85CJEric
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I said the same to the owner, and he laughed stating he understood the bitter sweet irony of the CJ curse
post #15 of 17 Old 02-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
very common for dealers to add graphics, especially to try to sell a certain model that either
That reminds me of around 1992 when I was going to Texas A&M and driving between Houston and College Station frequently. I would always drive by the Lawrence Marshall Chevy dealership in Hempstead, Texas, and they had about 6 or 8 new black Chevy 454 SS pickups out there right by the road.

They were there for months and they appeared not to sell. After a while I noticed the dealer had aded pin strips to some of them. Then a few weeks later they had added side steps. Then window tint. I'm sure there was other bling added as well. I always admired those trucks, although I was personally interested in an extended cab version, which they didn't offer for the 454 SS.

Anyhow, I'm sure they eventually sold them and then crap they added on.

"I give you a republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in