Diamond Plate Instal Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
singletracker

1985 CJ7 

Diamond Plate Instal Question

I'm about ready to install diamond plate on the back and beneath my doors. The manufacture says I don't need to use any sort of caulking. This kind of goes against my instincts.
Any thoughts?

Until I got here, I thought owning a boat was the only hole you throw money into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-12-2010, 07:36 PM
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletracker View Post
I'm about ready to install diamond plate on the back and beneath my doors. The manufacture says I don't need to use any sort of caulking. This kind of goes against my instincts.
Any thoughts?
Please dont murder your CJ with diamond plate

but, I would put some seam sealer/caulk there to seal it

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg79CJ7304 View Post
Great minds think alike, but so do serial killers......Thanks.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-12-2010, 07:37 PM
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

Seems to me that caulking will trap moisture inside/under the diamond plate? If I ever get the nerve to take mine off, I'll let ya know. The PO installed mine with silicone .

Default Jeepers Club #10

post #4 of 13 Old 12-12-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
singletracker

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post

but, I would put some seam sealer/caulk there to seal it

Ben
I know, I know. It's either that or let the rust show. Today I was glad when I pulled steps and the rocker panels of my Laredo. The original trim looks nice, but want to talk about holding mud! There are also rust spots that need to be sanded, primed and painted before the diamond plate

Until I got here, I thought owning a boat was the only hole you throw money into.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

i would say cover the whole back of the diamond plated with a layer of silicon or something, don't want to get water between the two or even trap moisture there

"This isn't mud, it's a special Jeep Wax"
post #6 of 13 Old 12-12-2010, 09:47 PM
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Coat the backside of the plates with rubberized undercoating. Seal the top and sides with silicon, leave the bottom unsealed so that if moisture does get in, it has a way out.

'86 CJ-7 Laredo: 4.2,T-999,D300,D30/D44,'94 YJ tub, full cage, Shrockworks rockers, OYR corners, AC,cruise,restored seats,3 tops,4.5" RE XD,F-T shackle reversal, RS9000x's,35" Dunlop Mud Rovers.
'83 Scrambler: 360,T-999,D300,D30/A20,1-piece shafts,rear discs,33" Fun Country's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 12:42 AM
raperfam

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate View Post
Coat the backside of the plates with rubberized undercoating. Seal the top and sides with silicon, leave the bottom unsealed so that if moisture does get in, it has a way out.
what he said......
post #8 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 01:12 AM
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
X2

There is nothing in the world that will make me turn away from a CJ faster than diamond plate. "Almost" nobody puts diamond plate on their CJ unless they're trying to cover up rust. That's just lazy and makes the problem worse. For just a little more work, and about the same money, you can cut out the rusted parts and install new sheet metal. Hell, if you prime the new parts with POR-15 and paint them to match your jeep they won't rust again and you can show off your handywork. You didn't buy your CJ for show. You bought it as a project. Take pride in it! Treat it well and earn those jeep waves.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 11:04 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

My local body shop gets all sorts of rust buckets in to fix. In Indonesia there is no such thing as a yearly test.

The worst projects they get are Toyota FJ series Hardtops that have been butchered to look more like a CJ and then had diamond plate applied. They know the body will be rotten underneath the plate and any paint will just be on body filler.

Which is not to say that when it leaves it will not still be rust covered by filler but a better grade of filler.

My Jeeps get new metal as a matter of course THEN filler and paint.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy135/Bagusjeep/jeepfrontquarter.jpg
post #10 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I also don't hold with botched repairs to the windscreen frame and where it attaches to the body. A new frame and metal in the body is the right solution.

It may save your life in an accident but more importantly the windscreen will not drop off when you lower it on to the bonnet.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 PM
ChaseB

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakai81 View Post
X2

There is nothing in the world that will make me turn away from a CJ faster than diamond plate. "Almost" nobody puts diamond plate on their CJ unless they're trying to cover up rust. That's just lazy and makes the problem worse. For just a little more work, and about the same money, you can cut out the rusted parts and install new sheet metal. Hell, if you prime the new parts with POR-15 and paint them to match your jeep they won't rust again and you can show off your handywork. You didn't buy your CJ for show. You bought it as a project. Take pride in it! Treat it well and earn those jeep waves.
I've had diamond plate save my CJ from body damage off road on more than one occasion, I like the way it looks on my Jeep, but to each his own!
post #12 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 PM
77-304-CJ5

1977 CJ5 

I can not see covering up any part of any vehicle with something else, just does not compute. I am rebuilding a CJ5 and just cut out the rear floor and will replace it with some heavy diamond plate, may just fab up some new wheel wells and make them out of diamond plate to replace the existing ones. Have seen old military jeeps totally redone out of diamond plate made in Thailand, talk about a show stopper and could still take them down muddy trails. Wish my friend had continued to have them made. Oh well. Do it myself instead.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 06:40 PM
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

the bottom of my doors rotted out too, from the previous owner having carpet. so I have diamond plate under the doors but not the aluminum style, I got 1/8 steel diamond plate that I welded to the body. so when I rub up against that tree, I,m taking the tree with me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in