Dale's Jeep Junk Sloppy Floppy Tilt steering Rebuild guide part deus - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Dale's Jeep Junk Sloppy Floppy Tilt steering Rebuild guide part deus

This is the scan of Dales instruction off the internet (http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html). His site has long been gone but I luckily printed it off years ago in anticipation of this issue. The photos are lo res but you get the gist of the exercise. It is one of the guides that I am using to rebuild my columns. Once I get my three together, I will be replacing this guide with my more professional photos and expounding on sections that he skipped. Dale's write up gave me the confidence to attack my problem. Not sure if he is still alive or still jeepin but he deserves some credit.

Attached Thumbnails
Dale 1.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Would suggest a few inexpensive tools to make this job easier, all can be found at your local auto parts store.

1 - Steering Wheel Puller

2 - Sterring Lock plate Tool

3 - Full set of Torx bits

4 - E8 1/4" drive external tore bit socket (not 3/8' drive because it won't fit)

There are other tools that will make this repair easier but where's the challenge

You will find exploded parts diagrams at the bottom of the this page.

The following pictures are from two different Jeep starring columns. One in the jeep with a manual transmission and the other on the bench with column shift automatic. Will try to point out the differences as we go along.
post #3 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

1 - Disconnect your battery then remove the steering wheel center cover. Just pull it off with your fingers, no tool required.

2 - Remove the horn actuator (three screws in the plastic ring) and the wheel lock nut.

Should look like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Dale_0001.jpg  

post #4 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

3 - Remove the Steering wheel using a puller. Now it should look like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Dale_0002.jpg  
post #5 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

4 - Pop off the plastic cover using a screwdriver inserted into the three slots on the outside edge.
Attached Thumbnails
Dale_0002_3.jpg  
post #6 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

5 - Time to remove the lock plate, can be a pain, much easier with a "lock plate tool" as shown here.
Attached Thumbnails
Dale_0003.jpg   Dale_0003_2.jpg  
post #7 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Here is a picture with that nasty little clip up and out of it's groove. When you have it here you have won that small battle.

Some crude but effective tools: Small pre-bent screwdriver and a very strong curved pick.
Attached Thumbnails
Dale_0004.jpg   Dale_0004_2.jpg  
post #8 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

6 - Remove the turn signal cancel cam (the plastic dohicky). It also conducts the horn contact down into the steering column. Go ahead and remove the spring that pushed up from the center.

Here is where I find that there are two different turn signal cancel cams. As you can see from the picture (below) the white one is broken. Replacement can be found on eBay or a cj website. Save the spring and contact from your old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Dale_0005.jpg  
post #9 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

7 -This is what your column should look like at this point (the spring has not been removed yet but it will just slide off with ease)

You are now looking at the turn signal switch. Flip the switch so that you can see all three screws that secure it in the column. Remove the arm and take out the three screws.

REMINDER: Make sure you disconnect your battery before removing the switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Dale_0006.jpg  
post #10 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

The connector sits in a small bracket on the column, up under the dash. If it is unplugged and loose, it will look like this. You will need the slack in the harness if you are performing the work with the column still in the jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Dale_0007.jpg  
post #11 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

If your turn signal plastics are brittle, cracked/broken and you need to replace the switch or just want it out of the way, you will need to remove the column mounting bracket. Under that bracket is a plastic cover to protect the wiring.

pop the wiring protector off the bracket mounting studs. I would suggest wrapping the connector and wires with electrical tape so that they are parallel to prevent the connector from snagging as you slide up and out of the column. Tip: If you attach a length of string you will have something to pull back down when it does snag.
Attached Thumbnails
Dale_0007_2.jpg   Dale_0008.jpg   Dale_0008_2.jpg  
post #12 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Remove the emergency flasher button by unscrewing it. Remove the turn signal lever, then take out the three screws that secure the turn signal switch to the column (not the arrows). Move the switch to the right signal position to expose the top screw.
Attached Thumbnails
Dale_0009.jpg  
post #13 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

8 - Removing the lock cylinder. Insert the key and turn it to the one position.

At this point there are two types of lock cylinders: one that is held in place with a torn screw and the other with a spring loaded tab. Arrow points to the torx location. 3rd photo shows the extra parts that are removed at this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Dale_0010.jpg   Dale_0010_3.jpg   Dale_0010_2.jpg  
post #14 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

The second type of lock cylinder has a spring loaded tab. The tab on the cylinder fits into the slot (see arrow). Push a small screwdriver in and wiggle the cylinder out. Note that the housing in this picture does not have the screw holes for the torx.
Attached Thumbnails
Dale_0011_2.jpg   Dale_0012.jpg  
post #15 of 32 Old 07-08-2020, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

The key buzzer connects through the turn signal switch. The spring clip likes to get stuck together. After you dig out the clip put them back to gather before you reinstall.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in