Dad's Truck - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 03-20-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dad's Truck

Well as some of you all know, I got another Jeep Truck. I got it in a deal for a bed for the Flying Hammer (the build in the link in my signature below). My Dad wants to get it back on the road and drive it as cheaply as he can. It was last driving on the road in 2006 according to the title and other documents we got with it.

This Truck has a rebuilt engine, rebuilt T-90a (with the granny gear), new brakes (can't open the MC to put in new fluid dam it!), and newer u-joints.

What I plan for this thing is to do what it needs, that is, seats, a steering box rebuild, new wheels and tires, a stake bed, and minor body work and perhaps a quickie paint job.

One thing that needs to be addresses is the fuel tank (see pic) and it has 2+ year old gas in it and it won't run very easily.

The wiring is crap, but my Dad wants to salvage it. Soooo better buy a fire extinguisher.

PICS:

A Jeeper for life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 03-20-2009, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got 4 CJ rims for $100, and then I had a set of '62 Vette tires, that are in great shape, that were given to me a few years ago from my old boss. Theirs a funny story behind that! The tires are probably about 40 years old, but were stored in a temperature controlled warehouse when they were on the Vette.

SO THE BUILD BEGINS!!

A Jeeper for life
post #3 of 59 Old 03-21-2009, 03:04 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I often wonder why in the heck they design adjustments to be so hard to reach on these engines. Looking at this old Carter YF, the adjustments seem to be in just the right place:

What a nice rear axle. Is that a DANA 1 ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 59 Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

its a Carter W-O Is what came BEFORE the YF.

the rear end is a Timkin. It is about the same in strength as a Gm 12 bolt.

A Jeeper for life
post #5 of 59 Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had some time to kill today, and got around to swapping out the wheels and cleaning it up some more.

I drained the tank and installed a new fuel pump I had lying around my shop...I found 3 for some reason. anyone want one?

A Jeeper for life
post #6 of 59 Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok so my dad cleaned his steering box while I cleaned and organized the shop. I managed to find an exhaust pipe he could use, and some tail lights, and a few other parts I have in my collection. the fuel tanks has a lot of sediment in it....and also fixing the filler neck.

PICS:

^^^ that's why I buy more than I need, use it for something else, that is an exhaust adapter, left over from another project I was doing. LOL

A Jeeper for life
post #7 of 59 Old 03-30-2009, 07:15 AM
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

That's a cool rig, looks pretty solid. What did that red stuff come out of? It looks like ATF.

And if you don't mind me asking, how do you normally pull the bellcrank off the steering box shaft when you're pulling it out? I need to replace the seals in mine and tried a pickle fork as well as the good ole' BFH and can't get it anywhere. All the pullers I have are the wrong size to work with it.

1986 Jeep CJ7 4.2L I6 T176 (restoration in progress)
1961 Willys 4x4 Wagon L-226 I6 T90 (restoration also in progress)
post #8 of 59 Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 AM
BioTex

1979 CJ7 

Wish we lived closer together. I have a spare tank you could have. Are you going to weld that exhaust on for a filler neck?

Currently:
79 CJ7 "CJ Express" 4.2L, NV4500, D44 rear
69 800 with SBC, SM465, NP205, 14BT
post #9 of 59 Old 03-30-2009, 08:11 AM
j33pman

1984 CJ7 

Thats a timken rear axle
here's some info about it. http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/timken.html

Bill H. - 1984 CJ-7
Now with Fiberglass!

post #10 of 59 Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB8HaVeN View Post
That's a cool rig, looks pretty solid. What did that red stuff come out of? It looks like ATF.

And if you don't mind me asking, how do you normally pull the bellcrank off the steering box shaft when you're pulling it out? I need to replace the seals in mine and tried a pickle fork as well as the good ole' BFH and can't get it anywhere. All the pullers I have are the wrong size to work with it.
that was the old gas out of the gas tnk I drained!

I guess you mean the pitman arm. I use heat, and some tie rod end splitters and ball joint spliters. A small puller will work best. but the key thing is HEAT. Taking the rest of it apart is a geooy mess, just ask my dad.

A Jeeper for life
post #11 of 59 Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Wish we lived closer together. I have a spare tank you could have. Are you going to weld that exhaust on for a filler neck?
Yes I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pman View Post
Thats a timken rear axle
here's some info about it. http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/timken.html
Yeah I read this a few years ago, thats why I kept mine in my other truck. only thing is is that its a tapered axle for the bearing, I hot mine on too tight once before and almost killed myself getting if off. Only damage was to the shops wall. It has a nice hole in it the shape of a hub.

A Jeeper for life
post #12 of 59 Old 03-30-2009, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Heres what a Timkin axle looks like

A Jeeper for life
post #13 of 59 Old 03-31-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Working on the Master Cylinder today, and we had to remove the thing to get the lid off, it was rusted solid. After we got the lid off on the vise, we sound that the old brake fluid has decomposed somewhat. carb cleaner and some rags and a little (a lot) of compressed air fixed that, but we may have to blow the lines out and check the wheel cylinders anyway, a bunch of work, but easy enough to do for peace of mind.

all the stuff we need has been ordered to rebuild the steering box is ordered and should be here by the weekend, thanks to Walcks 4wheel Drive.

get some new tubing bent at the muffler shop this week sometime, and wire up the alternator correctly. I still need a PITMAN arm though. they are VERY had to find, I have found several but they are quite expensive for being used.

A Jeeper for life
post #14 of 59 Old 04-01-2009, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

cleaned the master cylinder today...I mean my dad did. I think he did a darn good job!

The parts from Walcks came in today. Man was that fast!

fuel filler fixed.

PICS:

I HATE IT WHEN: You run out of gas in the middle of welding!>>

A Jeeper for life
post #15 of 59 Old 04-04-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dad got to painting the gas tank...but have to wait "24 Hours" for the primer to dry, well that's my dad for ya following the instructions to the T.

We also put the thing on the bottle, got it running and ran it up on some ramps to get the brakes finished, and clean up the undercarriage some.

Somehow, the 10 of the 20 ball bearings for the steering box grew legs and walked away. I called walcks and it will be here Monday.

Next thing to start on is exhaust, my friends at the exhaust shop can bend me some tubing free of charge, have to pay for the pipe though.

-----------------

my dad found that the back of his truckl is the perfect place to work on getting honey out of the comb, from our hives.

A Jeeper for life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in