Cylinder head stuck - need some advise - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By PhillyCJ7

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-29-2020, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
PhillyCJ7

Cylinder head stuck - need some advise

So I screwed up when I put the head gasket on my 258 and put blue RTV on both sides of the gasket. Of course I learned that this was a terrible idea a couple of days AFTER I did it and now I want to go back and make it right. Problem is that now I canít get the head off. I mean it is STUCK on there. Any thoughts on the best way to do it?

I might end up rolling the bones and taking my chances with it the way that it is but i have not gotten to ththe at point yet and want to get it off.

If it helps any, the motor is out.

Thanks in advance for your time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-29-2020, 10:37 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

Hi you could put the plugs in and turn in over might have enough compression to pop it off.
good luck
tim
post #3 of 10 Old 01-30-2020, 03:29 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

one way is to also get some fine piano wire. put handles on each end. then get it started between the gasket and head and pull across engine. this will pretty much slice the RTV. like using a cheese slicer. i would have a little pressure lifting on the head to help. the worst part will be cleaning the rtv from the block and head. that crap can be miserable to get completely off to where there is no slick residue left.

oldschool

post #4 of 10 Old 01-30-2020, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
PhillyCJ7

Thanks for the ideas - I appreciate the time. I have to admit this is pretty maddening that I made this problem for myself.

I thought a bit more about it last night and on the way to work this morning and I think I am going to try and use the head bolt holes, some all-thread, a plate of some type and the manifold holes and make some sort of puller where I exert pressure on the underside of the plate with a nut whick I am hopeful will pop it.

I like the piano wire idea also. Something similar occurred to me last night but I was thinking about a piece of monofilament fishing line but I like the piano wire a lot better.

I will also give the compression idea a try.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-30-2020, 07:06 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI the wire might not work because of alignment pins that stick out of the block to hold the heads in place..
good luck
tim
post #6 of 10 Old 01-30-2020, 07:13 AM
KevinCJ7Jeep
1981 CJ7 

You prob have a cherry picker since the engine is out, hook it to the plate you are going to make and pull it off.
Good luck.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-30-2020, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
PhillyCJ7

@pedal2themetai - I don't think my block / head has the alignment pins. I remember finding it strange that it didn't when I pulled it off.

@KevinCJ7Jeep - that was the first thing I tried actually. I then got my 150# son to put his weight on one side and I put my "let's just say considerably more than 150#" weight on the other while it was suspended. No dice.

I think some type of puller where I exert down pressure on the block and up pressure on the head might do it.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-30-2020, 02:06 PM
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

I've never seen a block/head with alignment pins/studs for that interface... only on the side of the head for the intake or headers

Not sure if the intake or headers are on there, but make sure you disconnected those and all 14 head bolts. I have left missed one of those every time and couldn't figure out why the head wasn't popping off

pulling straight up won't do much, so you need to introduce some sheering force to help break the adhesive bond.

You could use the hoist and leveler to grab onto the opposite corners of the head and then apply some upward pressure. Then use a flat screwdriver or something and try to work it in the seam lightly all around the head. Be careful not to gauge anything. You could also try and use the block and thermostat housing as leverage point with a breaker bar carefully.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-30-2020, 03:00 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

what about one of those air ressor fittings that goes in the spark plug hole and is used to hold upward pressure on the valve when the valve spring is replaced with the head still on the motor?

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...a-572201323823

Maybe this tool an the wire idea. I have used piano wire to cut a wet location electrical box the newly installed stucco on my house. it worked really well and did not rip the surface off the stucco.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-30-2020, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
PhillyCJ7

So - my “puller” worked and I got the head off, the gunk scraped off and a new gasket installed. Thanks for all the advise.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in