Custom axle measurements - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-05-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
MattC71

Custom axle measurements

At the point to have custom axles for my 1978 CJ5 build. I am going 9" rear and Chevy Dana 44 front. I am narrowing them to wide track width. Since I don't have the original axles, jeep came as a bunch of parts, I need some measurements to cut the axles down. The trails near me can be narrow so I don't want to go full width.

Rear axle - Is the rear diff centered or offset? Width should be 55" WMS to WMS

Front axle - Since the drivers spring perch is cast into the housing, how much is needed to cut off each side to fit the width? Width should be 56" WMS to WMS

I am having a shop cut and narrow the axles, trying to get some measurements for him. I can weld brackets and such, just don't want to take a chance on the axle tubes.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-05-2020, 10:18 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You had a Dana 20 transfer case with centred rear output and passenger side front output.

Do you need to centre the rear axle pumpkin? I say yes because it is a Cj5 and the rear driveshaft is very short. On a CJ7 you can get away with it not being centred, my early landcruiser axles on Puthijeep being like that.

As to how much to cut, I suggest you measure where your springs are. I do not have a note of the spacing.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 7 Old 07-06-2020, 09:23 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Are you doing a drivers or passenger side drop for the front?

If you want a passenger side drop you can start with a mid seventies Waggoner front Dana 44. They are about 61 WMS width. You can cut the long side about 4 to get the 27.5 spring perch needed. You will end up with about 57 WMS width. This project can be done on the tailgate of a pickup truck, so no special tools are needed. As long as you have a welder, or you could do the work and take it to a professional welder. Check out the link below.

http://www.jeeptech.com/convaxle/sjd44front.html

I have a Ford 9 from an early Bronco at 58 WMS width. Im having 1978 Ford Bronco Hi pinion 44 retubbed For a passenger drop and 59-60 WMS width for my CJ-7. Its getting a YJ leaf SOA conversion and stretch, Im looking for another 5 of wheelbase.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile

post #4 of 7 Old 07-06-2020, 09:54 AM
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

If you are changing your bolt pattern, I would suggest assembling your axles before you decide to make any cuts. For example for a generic D44, you could use Chevy small spindle, F150 rotors and hubs for 5 on 5.5.

After assembly you can locate the other spring perch from the cast location and can easily work out how much to cut from each side to arrive at your WMS. In this way it is also easy to know the length of custom axle shafts as its the current length - cut off per side.

One thing to decide is if you want the front drive shaft to spin at high speed. If so you may need to reprofile your perch so pumpkin points at transfer case and the run double cardan. I mention this, as the inner C would need more turning to maintain 7 deg caster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 07-06-2020, 10:24 AM
whodatschrome

This doesn't answer your question, but it's other things to think about...

If bigger axles are going to be installed, i'm guessing bigger tires are going to be installed as well? If so, going with a wider front axle will give the front tires the ability to turn lock to lock without them rubbing against the frame. Just another thing to think about.

And x2 on what Jurgen said about changing the perch on the front pumpkin and getting the correct caster angle for the amount of lift you're after. Depending on driveline angles and about of lift you're after, both inner C's might need to be cut and turned.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-06-2020, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
MattC71

Guys,
Thanks for all the input. I am planning a passenger side drop and 5x5.5 bolt pattern with F150 hubs. I was considering going with EB width at 58". The axle shafts would be more common size. I may go that route to give a better turn radius. I want to run YJ springs SOA and 35" tires. Does anyone know the distance from the inner C to WMS? The axle are disassembled so I can't measure.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-06-2020, 01:14 PM
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC71 View Post
Guys,
Thanks for all the input. I am planning a passenger side drop and 5x5.5 bolt pattern with F150 hubs. I was considering going with EB width at 58". The axle shafts would be more common size. I may go that route to give a better turn radius. I want to run YJ springs SOA and 35" tires. Does anyone know the distance from the inner C to WMS? The axle are disassembled so I can't measure.

I have a note in my log book that center of ball joint to WMS is 7.5, but dont quote me on that

I did a whole bunch of calculations/searches but for some reason I could not find stock axle shafts that got me to my target WMS of around 58-3/4. Also I found that custom chromoly axles from Dutchman, were not much more $ than chromoly of stock length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in