Crabtree Tool & Die Tie Rod & Drag Link Install - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 06-03-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
ASteve

1972 CJ5 

Crabtree Tool & Die Tie Rod & Drag Link Install

It's not rocket science, but I thought I'd post my install of Jim Crabtree's Tie Rod & Drag link reversal with bushings.

Parts List:

Attached Thumbnails
Crabtree-TRDL-1.jpg   Crabtree-TRDL-2.jpg   Crabtree-TRDL-3.jpg   Crabtree-TRDL-4.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
ASteve

1972 CJ5 

Finished! Really love the feel of TRE vs Hiem Joints. Much smoother with out all the "feel" of the Hiems Joints.

Thanks Jim for the use of your tool and the great product of yours (Tie Rod, Drag Link and Bushings).

Lastly, in the last picture I have a drop Pitman for a 4" lift...Looks like I could go with a Pitman Arm of 2-3" drop.
Attached Thumbnails
Ream-1.jpg   Ream-2.jpg   Ream-3.jpg   Ream-4.jpg   Ream-5.jpg  

Ream-6.jpg   Ream-7.jpg   Ream-8.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Steve,

As usual, good work and great photography.

I can't wait to receive and install my Crabtree tie rod and drag link. I assume he also made the bushings for you?

Matt

post #4 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
ASteve

1972 CJ5 

Matt,

Yes, he made the bushings. In the photos I show a approximately 1/32" inch of the top of the bushing sticking out of the knuckle. A couple of taps the hammer makes it seat tight and flush with the knuckle. No welding needed and the Bushing do not move. It's solid.

SC

post #5 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Nice!

Out of curiosity, where did you get your MOOG TREs and jam nuts from?

Matt
post #6 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 11:51 AM
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Matt just so you know my buddy Jim is a Raiders fan!
You might want to think about all that trash you talked about the Raiders!
post #7 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
ASteve

1972 CJ5 

Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...&keyword=es62l

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-es140r/overview/

Speedway Motors for Jam Nuts:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=910-01007

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=910-01057

SC

post #8 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra
Matt just so you know my buddy Jim is a Raiders fan! You might want to think about all that trash you talked about the Raiders!
I have nothing against the Raiders...there has to be one worst team, after all.

Steve, thanks for the links.

Matt

post #9 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 04:05 PM
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Last time I looked at the Crabtree site, it said Jeep parts are no longer being produced. What's the story? Are they, or are they not, still producing Jeep parts?

Earth first... We'll Jeep the other planets later.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
ASteve

1972 CJ5 

Firegod33,

Read Jim's post here:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ti.../#post22571649

post #11 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 04:30 PM
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Just on fleabay? Bummer.

post #12 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
ASteve

1972 CJ5 

I think he will be selling direct too, but maybe Jim can chime in and set us straight...

SC

post #13 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Steve thanks for taking the time to start this thread and show the install on your tie rod and drag link. As always you are too kind to me! And as always you take excellent pictures. That's your expertise and it's just one of the things I have come to appreciate about you.

Guys I need to explain a few things here it seems. The first thing I need to mention is that I am no longer a vendor here so I can't openly advertise on the forum. The rates went up after Keith sold the forum last year and I just won't justify $300.00 - $400.00 a month for the vendor fees. What I can do is make myself available to any of you at all times though.

I had slowed down last year on making the Jeep stuff. Part of that was the vendor fees and loosing the ability to advertise here easily and part of it was the workload in my shop. I am a one man band here and might always be that way. That has it's down side as you might imagine. There is a big upside to that though. Everything I sell I make right here. I have absolute control over the quality that way. Quality is my main concern. With that all being said things have changed around here and I find myself in a position to start manufacturing Jeep parts again. I see the need to offer more than I have in the past. The tie rod and drag link kit is just one that I want to offer. I have other ideas as well.

One problem that we're working on is the website. Mine is hosted through GoDaddy. My wife made the site were the hangers and shackle sets could be bought. I had a website before that made another firm. That old site is now the one online. We did not make that change though. GoDaddy changed some server settings a while back and it took the new site offline and put the old one back on. I found out after not being able to load the new site. After contacting everyone that I was supposed to I found out we have to get things straightened out. They won't/can't put the correct site back up for us. It has been a mess to say the least and to top that off the computer crashed that had the right software on it that allowed us to edit the site and reload it. That part we hope to have fixed soon. I have never liked the idea of having to rely on someone else to put text and pictures on my website. Right now I'm stuck with that but plan to have things set up so that I can take care of it myself.

Enough of that. So yes I am still in business and yes I do plan to start selling again. If you want to get in touch with me here's my email address [email protected] or just give me a call at 573-565-0004. I've spoken on the phone with many of you already in the past and have always enjoyed the time spent in doing so. I like getting to know the people I deal with. I'm old fashioned in that respect. What I have in mind may even be old fashioned for the business but here's the basic idea. Everything, and I do mean everything will be made to the highest standards. Quality is extremely important to me and I'm sure it is to you all too. Everything will be absolutely 100% with no apologies MADE IN THE USA! Everything is made so that if you tear it up it gets replaced at no charge, even if you tried to tear it up and it's obvious. You will always be satisfied or you get your money back.

I like having a good name and being trusted. It's what we should all want. To me it's just part of being an American. These things are earned and not given. Thanks for your time and reading.

Jim

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #14 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 PM
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Thank you, Jim. The pics, I've seen posted here, of your work look fantastic. For the reasons you mentioned already, I'll refrain from asking for pricing info. I also don't want to take up your time by calling for said info, when I'm not quite ready to purchase, yet. You will be hearing from me, though. [/hijack]

post #15 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Savage1966
1983 CJ7 

That's a sweet looking set up. Hopefully one day I'll see mine that clean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in