corbeau sport seats ? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KevinCJ7Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
oldschool74cj5

corbeau sport seats ?

hello
its time to change the seats out. i have old stock yj seats which worked good but the frames are about done. i was looking at coreau seats because i can at least get new covers down the road. the downfall is i have a NON-TILT steering column. Im wondering if anyone has them installed in there cj and how do you like them?

oldschool

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 05:32 PM
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

I installed a set in my 7 about 4 years ago. I really like them. Comfortable and really hold you in well

It used to be, God bless America, it has become God help America
post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
oldschool74cj5

hello

how is the leg room between the steering wheel and seat. did you have to use there mounting bracket or did you use the factory one.

oldschool

post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 08:58 PM
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

I used the factory mounts which are the tilt forward style. That being said I'm 6'2 and found that the seats sat to high because I was looking through the very top of the windshield so I ended up sectioning the mounts removing about 1 1/2" out of the front legs and 1" out of the rear legs so the seats sat a little flatter and also notched the rear legs where they latch down which allowed the seat to sit about another 1/2" or so lower. I also moved the mounting holes where the seats bolt on rearward as much as I could because I wanted/needed the leg room. I have a tilt column but it sits one notch up from straight and I never move it and have lots of room between my legs and steering wheel. If you are under 6' tall you might find that the seat height is okay

It used to be, God bless America, it has become God help America
post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 10:34 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
I was looking at Corbeau new seats as well but I'll probably spring for suspension seats. I'm looking at the PRP Summit Elite seats. https://www.prpseats.com/product/sum...e-series-gray/

If anyone has any experience with the suspension seat I'd love to hear it. I'd love to smooth out my ride a little if at all possible.

I want my two dollars!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 11:19 PM
KevinCJ7Jeep
1981 CJ7 

I have PRP Premier seats and really like them. I had RCI plastic seats, so anything would have been an upgrade.
I bought 3, to mount the the 3rd in place of the rear bench for my daughter.

I am 6'1'' and 175, I bought a 3" taller seat for myself and it fits perfect. If you are heavier/wider you might look at getting the wider option. One seat had a 3/8" rip in the front corner from shipping. Customer service was excellent, they replaced the seat cover.
Attached Images

backupoffmefoo likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-20-2020, 09:18 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I have the Baja RS reclining seats. Very comfortable, holding up well. The reclining helps for comfort, too. 4 Wheel Drive Hardware had a display of at least a dozen seats in their showroom, letting you sit in them and feel which fit your liking best. These won hands-down.

This picture was taken July 2012, and they do not look any different. We drove this from Canton Ohio to Chattanooga Tenn just before this picture was taken. 10 hours in them and only stiff from sitting so long...

I am using the Corbeau risers, as the factory ones did make them too tall for me (I'm 6'1" 200lbs) and these put them just right. I am using sliders under both of them, sliders both fully back.I also put a 1" block under the front legs to tilt them back a touch, it felt more comfortable this way. For reference, my wife gained a lot of weight after our 2 girls, and even then she said they were still comfortable. I'm not going to say how much she weighed, but I did end up extending seat belts about 10" for us both to be comfortable. Stock replacement belts from 4WDH were already a little short with these seats being wider, Me being at 185 lbs only had about 6" of strap left, so the extensions helped both of us.

This picture also shows another issue, more major (to me). There wasn't much foot room to get my size 11 steel toed boot in an out, and even running shoes were kinda tight. I ended up doing the wheel well notch to move them back. The seat back location is fine, but the seat bottom is a little longer than the OEM seats, so they take up more door space.

One other word of advice. Have the lumbar cushions installed. Mine feels like my back actually arches back into it some, which bothers me some days. I bought the cushions to put them in myself, but no instructions came with them. I emailed Corbeau, and they said to call them when I go to install and they'll have one of their techs walk me thru it!

This may have been a little excessive in some info, but I figure it would help make a better informed decision.

Would I buy them again? Definitely. I would just be sure to order them with the cushions installed.
Attached Thumbnails
2012-07-31_10-38-17_345.jpg  

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I've got a set of Twisted Stitch seats I'd make someone a good deal on if they wanted them. They're like new and only out if the box long enough to check about mountng them in my CJ.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #9 of 13 Old 03-20-2020, 10:29 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

I have been very happy with the Baja SS seats in the '6. Very comfortable and stable when in those hairy situations I seem to get myself into when I take it off of the trailer and onto the trail. Can't comment much on the legroom as the '6 has 10" of extra floor space to move them back into a comfortable position. Dad has the same set in his '7, mounted as far back as possible on the cage cross bars and there seems to be plenty of room in it and they are easy to get into and out of as the side bolsters are not too terribly high.
Attached Thumbnails
13012804_10209674534206435_8425226068060190094_n.jpg  

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #10 of 13 Old 03-31-2020, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
oldschool74cj5

hello

well i received the new corbeau sport seats yesterday. the seats look really good. today i started on the driver side and removed the old seat. originally i was going to use the original mounts and slide till i found that the sliders were shot. cracked around the mounting holes. im sure half of that was due to rust. so luckily the 4wd parts and accessories warehouse about a hour north of here had both of them. so picked them up.
the driver side actually went in with just a couple 3lb hammer adjustments to the bracket. will need to tilt the front up with shims or something.
the passenger side the corbeau bracket is Chinese quality at it lowest. the inward side the bolt holes line up pretty well. the outer side was a totally different case. the front bracket hole i had to bend the bracket forward about a half a inch and install a 1/8 shim. the rear outer side bolt i actually had to cut off the leg and brace off. then reweld. i tried calling corbeau about how far off it was thinking maybe they gave me one for the second half of the yj series which use a different bracket p/n. unfortunately it was like talking to beavis and butthead from MTV. it sucks cause the the quality of the seat looks very nice but the brackets are awfull and the customer service is even worse. but i did thank customer service for reminding me whats wrong with alot of companies nowdays.

one thing i was wondering if anyone has a old set of cj driver seat brackets that were just bent flat bar? i am interested in buying or just borrowing for a couple months to use to reverse engineer the mounting. i thinking of designing my own driver bracket to mount the corbeau seat but with the front tilted up. to be more comfortable.
oldschool
post #11 of 13 Old 04-01-2020, 12:01 PM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

well i received the new corbeau sport seats yesterday. the seats look really good. today i started on the driver side and removed the old seat. originally i was going to use the original mounts and slide till i found that the sliders were shot. cracked around the mounting holes. im sure half of that was due to rust. so luckily the 4wd parts and accessories warehouse about a hour north of here had both of them. so picked them up.
the driver side actually went in with just a couple 3lb hammer adjustments to the bracket. will need to tilt the front up with shims or something.
the passenger side the corbeau bracket is Chinese quality at it lowest. the inward side the bolt holes line up pretty well. the outer side was a totally different case. the front bracket hole i had to bend the bracket forward about a half a inch and install a 1/8 shim. the rear outer side bolt i actually had to cut off the leg and brace off. then reweld. i tried calling corbeau about how far off it was thinking maybe they gave me one for the second half of the yj series which use a different bracket p/n. unfortunately it was like talking to beavis and butthead from MTV. it sucks cause the the quality of the seat looks very nice but the brackets are awfull and the customer service is even worse. but i did thank customer service for reminding me whats wrong with alot of companies nowdays.

one thing i was wondering if anyone has a old set of cj driver seat brackets that were just bent flat bar? i am interested in buying or just borrowing for a couple months to use to reverse engineer the mounting. i thinking of designing my own driver bracket to mount the corbeau seat but with the front tilted up. to be more comfortable.
oldschool

Something like these? I can't promise you that they would still be there (I threw them in a scrap pile a week or so ago) But if they are, pay the shipping and they are yours.
Attached Thumbnails
seat.jpg  
post #12 of 13 Old 04-01-2020, 02:50 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
I put a pair of Corbeau A4 seats in Black Betty about 10 years ago and I've noticed for my heavy frame I had to support the back of the seats as well. Until I figure out a better way I've caveman engineered the support out of 2x4s.
When I adapted the seat mount I used a thin plate of steel then just drilled the corresponding holes. The end result I'm very satisfied with, those A4's are more comfortable than the captains chairs in my van and what with their contours they really hold you in.
On a sidebar, I tried some neoprene seat covers to protect them but those contours are just too severe. One day I was strolling through the Canned Foods Grocery Outlet and I spotted a bin of "high back seat covers" and as my neoprene's were tearing out I tried these $5 for a pair of these 'el cheapos.' To my great surprise they not only covered these A4's but they gave enough to fit like they were made for 'em

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #13 of 13 Old 04-01-2020, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
oldschool74cj5

caseypotts

if you still have them i will take them. send me a PM with info so i can pay for the shipping.

oldschool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in