Contour Fan Controller~Mine finally gave out after 15 years - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-07-2021, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
Contour Fan Controller~Mine finally gave out after 15 years

Hi gang, I've been tooling along with the Contour~actually Mystique dual fan setup for over a decade now on 'Black Betty.' Fortunately I was in town when this failure occurred.

From the wiring (shown in the link) all of my wiring is OK. That Hayden controller at the top however is another matter. As near as I can figure with my multimeter the PCM failed. No surprise as the relays are rated at 40 amps and it appears too many times overheated. I wired each speed with it's own controller. I thought that the multiple stepped relays would've tempered this (and it has) more permanently. Are there modern controllers with threaded NPT senders and capable of override (On-Off-High Speed On) that can candle the upwards of 70 amp spikes?

Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for your responses.

Gus

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-07-2021, 07:51 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

When I did my Contour fan wiring I didn't use any controller. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/j.../index281.html Don't have the years of service behind mine as you do yours though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 06-07-2021, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
On mine I wanted the controllability to dial in the operating temperature as I initially had difficulty.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)

post #4 of 31 Old 06-08-2021, 07:02 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
On mine I wanted the controllability to dial in the operating temperature as I initially had difficulty.
I rigged mine up with a dual temperature sensor so it comes on at 195 with the medium speed and 205 for high. I sure understand wanting it adjustable though.

My build thread

post #5 of 31 Old 06-08-2021, 01:49 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I run an older version of the Dakota Digital fan controller. It piggybacks off your temperature gauge sender or it can use its own. You can set on and off temperatures for both high and low speed fans. I have been very happy since I installed it about 5 years ago.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/b...85/index2.html

Post #16

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....od/prd1207.htm
post #6 of 31 Old 06-08-2021, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
When I was doing all of my contact checking things looked good and hotwiring the fans they both work on Hi and Low. I think its the Hayden 3651 controllers went bad.

I use one for Hi speed and one for Low. I like these on account of their adjustability and the NPT threaded sender. What I mean is the plastic components of the Circuit Board are cheesy, namely the plastic adjustment screw. I've protected them by encasing them in a small plastic box, but I think it may be the Amp spike over the years and underhood temperatures is what made them ultimately fail.

Is there anything like these that are more robust?

post #7 of 31 Old 06-08-2021, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
When I did my Contour fan wiring I didn't use any controller. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/j.../index281.html Don't have the years of service behind mine as you do yours though.

So yours are just hard wired to the relays them Jim? If so, is one of them the OE 70 amp?

post #8 of 31 Old 06-09-2021, 07:31 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
So yours are just hard wired to the relays them Jim? If so, is one of them the OE 70 amp?
Here's a diagram of how mine are wired, very close anyway. I also attached a picture of the fuses, compliments of my friend Bob. My fuses are both 40 amp and the relays are 70 amp, 2 each. That switch in the picture controls the grounds for the sensor. I normally run them on auto but can turn the fans on for constant use or off.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0249 25.jpg   003 (10).jpg  

My build thread

post #9 of 31 Old 06-09-2021, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
Thanks for that diagram Jim, if I have to rebuild my system I may go with what you have. I forget from whom I got the diagram I posted in no. 1 but at that time it seemed workable to me. Yours seems much more simplified and correct.

Just now I was able to check the grounds~correct and signal~correct I then jumped power from the control board relay socket to battery I heard the secondary relay click and the fans started working. I did the same on the high speed control board and it worked as well. I think the problem is still on the circuit board and possibly related to the potentiometers.

post #10 of 31 Old 06-09-2021, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
I was looking at the Flex a lite fan controller on Summit and it has the NPT sender that I use and a more robust potentiometer than the Haydens I'm using but the description says Single/Dual fans but the installation .pdf only mentions one fan I wonder if I can split the output to fans on that setup safely.

post #11 of 31 Old 06-09-2021, 09:12 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You're welcome. Dual fans starting are going to draw more amps than the single, I think. If you start them on medium instead of high they'll pull less amps. The Contour fans do start on medium through the resistor that's built into the fans. I retained that resistor on mine. One reason I decided not to buy a controller was after calling a few of them and telling them I was using a Contour fan setup they acted like it was new to them then when they asked what amps the fans pulled the common answer is 70 amps. The guy at Dakota was especially pricky about that and told me in no uncertain terms their controller was not made to handle that. I told him I knew of several that were using them and he stuck to his guns. I decided they didn't need any of my money and figured out how to make my own system. You can alter the temps at which the fans kick in by getting different degree of temps in the sensor but so far mine seem to be fine and the engine runs good at the temps too. If you want to make it even more simple don't install a switch like I did. Then the grounds don't need to be run into the tub to the switch. I really think this electric fan bit has been way too complicated at times. I mean if we were using mechanical fans that ran all the time our engines would be fine so I have often asked myself why do I need to get a controller. That and it just frost me when I contact a company for technical advice only to be talked down to.

My build thread

post #12 of 31 Old 06-09-2021, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
Excellent points Jim, I only kept with electric fans myself on account of the POs setup with it's ineffectual pusher fan. I still like the idea of a cut off and override switch although it's been rare that I've needed them. What spinning around in my head now is using the standard 30 amp relays in the controllers, then their output to the input trigger of a pair of 70 amp relays that I have from the Mystique that I originally got the fans from, as in the diagram above. Since the potentiometers seem to have failed on the PSB failed I may just go with another pair of Haydens and just rebuild what I've got. I just wish that those Hayden 3651s had a better design.

post #13 of 31 Old 06-10-2021, 07:19 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Here's a place that I have bought quite a bit from https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/pro...ative-trigger/ I talked to him on the phone about the Contour fan setup. He told me he had plans to make a kit for wiring it up but had not done so yet. Maybe by now he has. He has been one of the best people to deal with I've had the pleasure to find and his parts are high quality.

I hate the sound of the electric fans when I'm running at a low speed or the Jeep is sitting still. Mine function flawlessly but I think a mechanical fan and shroud would work as well too. I almost went with the mechanical fan but also wanted to rig this Contour fan up and see it through. My next change will be the mechanical fan but for now I'm enjoying driving it.

My build thread

post #14 of 31 Old 06-10-2021, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
I can't hear the fans high or low as the 360 makes plenty on noise, as does the stereo..... Thanks for the link I'll check it out. [Edit] That looks great, but the functionality of what I built with the help of others here and elsewhere is what I'd like to retain. I may just have to go with another Hayden and see if indeed I was right about the psb. I'm running out of time this week as I got stuck with an overnight shift on my "Friday" the other day.

post #15 of 31 Old 06-10-2021, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage

I fired up the Jeep today and mowed the lawn~dandelions and let the Jeep idle up to operating temperature. I then adjusted the potentiometer screw for low speed and it began working. I could not get the high speed to work but did verify that the low speed shut off after the motor cooled down post heat soak.
I found my original pieces to this fan project and I have no fewer than three Ford F80B-14B192-AA 70 Amp relays.

I also found the dingus I grafted in the Socket into a Ford relay pack

And all I have to do is wire in the signal and ground wiring from a new Hayden 3651

Jim1611 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in