Condenser cooling help - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 05-31-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Condenser cooling help

Okay, so right now I need to keep my condenser cooler because my high side pressures are going so high my compressor is kicking off and on if I'm idling and have less air coming through the condenser. Now, I only have 1.5 inches for a electric fan between the grille and condenser . I see some fans that say they're less than 2 inches thick but if you look they have an overall thickness which is bigger than 2 inches which is too big.

Factory shrouds are not working for me. I cut 1 factory shroud to make It fit but was left with big gaps for air. I cut the other factory style shroud and I had to lose the bottom half of the shroud to make it work and it looks like crap and I'm sure wont pull air well enough anyway.

I was thinking about a super power electric fan in place of my mechanical fan , which I really dont want to lose the reliability of .

Ideas ? Or what works for you ?

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 05-31-2019, 08:38 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
looking at the wiring diagram there is no high pressure only a low pressure switch. did you have pressure gauges to see what the pressures are doing? it really doesn't take that much air through a condenser for the system to work properly. the condenser should be between the grill and radiator. if your engine is staying cool then you have enough air going through the condenser then the radiator. with the gauges on you can see what is going such as low on Freon or the compressor is getting weak or clutch slipping.

stephan
post #3 of 47 Old 05-31-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

I have an aftermarket kit made by jeel air. It has a switch that prevents the pressures from going to high by switching off the compressor

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.

post #4 of 47 Old 06-01-2019, 08:38 AM
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

I'm using a 14" Spal 30100382 pusher fan in front of my condenser. I had to space the radiator back 3/4" to allow fitment of everything. Pics below show how the radiator backspacing looks. I used nuts as spacers. Someday I'll make some real spacers, but I don't see any reason to be in a hurry.

That fan is 2.050" thick at it's thickest point, but is the thinnest fan I found. I used another giant Spal fan mounted on the back of the radiator for main engine cooling. It came from Novak mounted on a radiator I bought from them as well. I have not had a chance to try out the a/c in mine yet, but will be soon, in a month or so. That smaller Spal 30100382 pusher fan is almost enough to keep my engine cool all by itself. If I'm on flat ground and maintaining over 45 mph I don't need the big fan at all.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0155[1].jpg   IMG_0156[1].jpg  

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 47 Old 06-01-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
I'm using a 14" Spal 30100382 pusher fan in front of my condenser. I had to space the radiator back 3/4" to allow fitment of everything. Pics below show how the radiator backspacing looks. I used nuts as spacers. Someday I'll make some real spacers, but I don't see any reason to be in a hurry.

That fan is 2.050" thick at it's thickest point, but is the thinnest fan I found. I used another giant Spal fan mounted on the back of the radiator for main engine cooling. It came from Novak mounted on a radiator I bought from them as well. I have not had a chance to try out the a/c in mine yet, but will be soon, in a month or so. That smaller Spal 30100382 pusher fan is almost enough to keep my engine cool all by itself. If I'm on flat ground and maintaining over 45 mph I don't need the big fan at all.
That's good information. That's an option I hadn't thought of. I wouldnt gain any space in front of the condenser, just between the condenser and the radiator. Would that work ? A puller between the 2 ?

post #6 of 47 Old 06-01-2019, 11:35 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello
here is a link for a pressure chart for general R134 system. i would check and see if the pressure switch is cutting off to low. depending on the outside temp you should be around 200-350 psi. the high pressure switch are normally set around 375-400 psi to close. also can take the temp at the output side of the condenser and compare to the temp ring on the gauge.

http://rechargeac.com/how-to/ac-system-pressure-chart

stephan
post #7 of 47 Old 06-01-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

The thing is when I put a fan in front of the condenser like the manufacturer suggested my compressor stayed on like it should and the high side pressure went down like they should as well.

post #8 of 47 Old 06-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just a thought. Is your radiator or condenser filled with fuzzies or debris in the fins or in between them? Some times good airflow is restricted by like cottonwood tree fuzzy stuff for instance. Just like dog or cat hair on your refrigerator grates. JS. Check it out first. I may be in between the two components and if possible to get a good light in there you can shine the light on one side and see if it shines through the other.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 47 Old 06-01-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Just a thought. Is your radiator or condenser filled with fuzzies or debris in the fins or in between them? Some times good airflow is restricted by like cottonwood tree fuzzy stuff for instance. Just like dog or cat hair on your refrigerator grates. JS. Check it out first. I may be in between the two components and if possible to get a good light in there you can shine the light on one side and see if it shines through the other.
Thank you , no . They're all new parts . It is interesting I need a fan seeing how the factory didnt use a separate condenser fan. But this isn't a factory kit so...... aftermarket.

I'm going through hundreds of fan listings trying to find a fan under 2 inches or less at at its thickest point. I think I might have found one that will work but its gonna be resting on the fins of the condenser where it can vibrate and wear away at the condenser. I like to keep the jeep factory as much as possible but I may have to put some spacers between the grille and the radiator to move it forward enough to get the clearance needed to mount the fan without damaging anything.

post #10 of 47 Old 06-01-2019, 08:11 PM
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

The pic below is the only pic I have of my condenser fan. It's a pusher and 2.050" at its thickest point, which is an 1/8" tall dimple on the fwd end of the motor. I think I can slide a piece of paper between it and the grill in front of the motor.

There is 1/4" clearance between my condenser and radiator. There is foam insulation around the edges of the condenser providing a seal to the radiator.

That 14" pusher fan in front provides some cooling for my engine, but the engine will overheat if I'm not travelling above 45 mph. Found this out last weekend when the main cooling fan quit running on a trip into the mountains due to a wire that vibrated out of a relay connector. It's supposed to only be for the condenser but I've got it set so if the engine temp goes above 210 it comes on to help out. Not sure how much it really helps out haha. It also will come on anytime I turn a/c on, because that's it's main purpose (to cool the condenser).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0076[1].jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 47 Old 06-01-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Very good !. I will only be able to put this fan on 1 side of the condenser though because I have more clearance on my passenger side than my drive due to the ac lines coming out of the condenser. One of the hits the headlight bucket and the other one is hitting too. But now that I think of it if I put 1/4 spacer in there I may be able to center it up. I'll have to space it out and remeasure. You must have 90 degree fittings on your hoses at the condenser ? Are you running stock a.c.c , vintage air, or JEEP AIR ?

post #12 of 47 Old 06-01-2019, 08:33 PM
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

I'm using Jeepair, like you. Here's pics of my condenser, BUT on the top fitting I used a straight fitting, not an angled fitting like in the pic. I don't have a pic of final config, but that's what it looked like in there. I had to shift the condenser way over to the passenger side to make this work.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0050[1].jpg   IMG_0051[1].jpg  

post #13 of 47 Old 06-01-2019, 08:37 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I know Jeepair tell you to put a pusher fan on the condenser but I think if you had a good electric puller fan it would do the same thing. They tell people to use a pusher fan because most people have mechanical fans that do not have good airflow at idle. If you have a good puller fan with a good shroud (like a Contour fan) you should be fine. You need to wire it so that it comes on when the A/C is engaged. All the air that comes out of the puller fan has to be pulled through the fins of the radiator. The Contour fan would probably not care much if it pulled the air though the condenser first. Call Jeepair up and ask them about removing the mechanical fan and only using a good puller fan like the Ford Contour fan that fits like it was made for a Jeep CJ7.

I would put some type of foam weather strip between the radiator and the condenser so that air cannot take the path of least resistance.
post #14 of 47 Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post
I know Jeepair tell you to put a pusher fan on the condenser but I think if you had a good electric puller fan it would do the same thing. They tell people to use a pusher fan because most people have mechanical fans that do not have good airflow at idle. If you have a good puller fan with a good shroud (like a Contour fan) you should be fine. You need to wire it so that it comes on when the A/C is engaged. All the air that comes out of the puller fan has to be pulled through the fins of the radiator. The Contour fan would probably not care much if it pulled the air though the condenser first. Call Jeepair up and ask them about removing the mechanical fan and only using a good puller fan like the Ford Contour fan that fits like it was made for a Jeep CJ7.

I would put some type of foam weather strip between the radiator and the condenser so that air cannot take the path of least resistance.
Yes. I actually did ask them that already and the reply was it would help but I didnt follow up after that. I prefer to keep my mechanical fan due to reliability. Having said that I think the most space I'm going to have for an electric fan will be between the condenser and radiator.

post #15 of 47 Old 06-01-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
I'm using Jeepair, like you. Here's pics of my condenser, BUT on the top fitting I used a straight fitting, not an angled fitting like in the pic. I don't have a pic of final config, but that's what it looked like in there. I had to shift the condenser way over to the passenger side to make this work.
Thanks. It so much nicer having a.c. in the summer. Now I dont have to go in places hot and sweaty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in