Con Ferr skid plate - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-05-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Con Ferr skid plate

Con Ferr used to make a bad *** front end skid plate for Cj's. I can't seem to find one anywhere.

They cover from spring to spring and also protect the power steering. I think they attach to the front bumper or frame ends, and in the rear they hang from brackets that attach to the frame somewhere around the shock mounts.

I think Con Ferr is out of business or something, if anyone knows what skid plate I'm talking about, is there a similar product?

ETA here's a pic I found:

Last edited by ErikEastman; 02-05-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-05-2010, 10:07 AM
CSP

ConFerr has been gone for several years now.

Can't say that I would ever want or need that under my CJ. My springs and axle tubes are the only things that I drag over rocks. The steering box is pretty well protected via the leaf springs unlike a TJ that has nothing in its way.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-05-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

CSP, not sure if you can see it, but there is a small radiator for the transmission cooling system mounted behind there.

While I appreciate that you would never want or need one, telling me this and all your reasons why does nothing to help me find one.

post #4 of 21 Old 02-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Military Jeeper

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikEastman View Post
While I appreciate that you would never want or need one, telling me this and all your reasons why does nothing to help me find one.

That was funny....I'm just saying

Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA/HI-STEER | 304/T18A/D20 w/3:1 TeraLow | Holley Avenger Carb | Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold | DUI Distributor | K&N Filter | Centerforce 2 Clutch | Waggy D44's | 4.11's | ARB's | Hydroboost | HAD Shafts | 35 Toyo MT's|
post #5 of 21 Old 02-05-2010, 03:28 PM
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikEastman View Post
Welcome to the internet.

Like I said, ConFerr is out of business in reference to your statement that
Quote:
I think Con Ferr is out of business or something
It doesn't hurt you that I added my opinion.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Military Jeeper

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Welcome to the internet.

That was funny too............

I think his question is answered though now. ConFerr was huge about 10 yrs ago, I remember buying shackles from them.

BREAK

ErikEastman,

I believe Kilby Enterprises makes a CJ Steering Skid but I don't know of anyone who makes an engine skid for a CJ. Just not a lot of demand for CJ's especially when TJ's have ruled the market for the last 10 yrs and JK's are the new thing to own.

Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA/HI-STEER | 304/T18A/D20 w/3:1 TeraLow | Holley Avenger Carb | Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold | DUI Distributor | K&N Filter | Centerforce 2 Clutch | Waggy D44's | 4.11's | ARB's | Hydroboost | HAD Shafts | 35 Toyo MT's|
post #7 of 21 Old 02-05-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Welcome to the internet.

Apparently my sarcasm didn't translate regarding conferr.

Anyway, I know I can't get one from conferr, I was hoping someone else made one like it, or someone knew where I might find a used one, and that someone could perhaps direct me to it.

Regardless of yours or anyone's opinion of them, I happen to have a need for it. So if you don't know where I can find one, please take your mastery of the internets to someone else's thread.

Thanks
post #8 of 21 Old 02-05-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military Jeeper View Post

That was funny too............

I think his question is answered though now. ConFerr was huge about 10 yrs ago, I remember buying shackles from them.

BREAK

ErikEastman,

I believe Kilby Enterprises makes a CJ Steering Skid but I don't know of anyone who makes an engine skid for a CJ. Just not a lot of demand for CJ's especially when TJ's have ruled the market for the last 10 yrs and JK's are the new thing to own.
Thank you. It's looking like I may be fabricating what I need.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-21-2020, 03:54 PM
akula
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Found one!

I know it is despicable to necrothread but because of this thread I actually found one.

Was looking through Craigslist ads and found one listed in Ohio. Would have never have known about it except for the OPs picture link so I recognized it mixed in with various bumpers in the ad photo.

Got it for 30 bucks plus shipping. But I am not so sure it is a Con-Ferr product.

The other Con-Ferr stuff I have (rack and shackles) are stamped Con-Ferr. This plate and the 2 mounting legs are not marked at all.

Maybe it shipped with a sticker instead but since I have only seen one photo and the one I actually own who knows.

The 2 legs mount with a single bolt to the bottom of the frame using the hole fwd of the sway bar mount. On the passenger side this is easy as the hole is unused but has a threaded nutsert in it. On the driver side that hole is one of 3 used to mount the steering box mounting plates and would not come out. In the end the nutsert tore out of the hole rather than let go of the bolt. I just threaded in a bolt the same size as the hole and called it a day. Other end of the legs have 2 holes each to bolt to the plate.

The plate does cover well and can also bolt through the face of the bumper.

Usefulness is debatable but I like finding vintage parts. Found a pair of Go Rhino trusses/ axle skids on Craigslist in NJ. Sometimes you just get lucky and find stuff.

Thanks to the OP for posting the picture. It helped me.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-22-2020, 05:18 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akula View Post
I know it is despicable to necrothread but because of this thread I actually found one.

Was looking through Craigslist ads and found one listed in Ohio. Would have never have known about it except for the OPs picture link so I recognized it mixed in with various bumpers in the ad photo.

Got it for 30 bucks plus shipping. But I am not so sure it is a Con-Ferr product.

The other Con-Ferr stuff I have (rack and shackles) are stamped Con-Ferr. This plate and the 2 mounting legs are not marked at all.

Maybe it shipped with a sticker instead but since I have only seen one photo and the one I actually own who knows.

The 2 legs mount with a single bolt to the bottom of the frame using the hole fwd of the sway bar mount. On the passenger side this is easy as the hole is unused but has a threaded nutsert in it. On the driver side that hole is one of 3 used to mount the steering box mounting plates and would not come out. In the end the nutsert tore out of the hole rather than let go of the bolt. I just threaded in a bolt the same size as the hole and called it a day. Other end of the legs have 2 holes each to bolt to the plate.

The plate does cover well and can also bolt through the face of the bumper.

Usefulness is debatable but I like finding vintage parts. Found a pair of Go Rhino trusses/ axle skids on Craigslist in NJ. Sometimes you just get lucky and find stuff.

Thanks to the OP for posting the picture. It helped me.
You should post a picture as I see none on his post.
Cutlass327 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-23-2020, 03:47 PM
akula
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0720.jpg  
turbogus and Jim1611 like this.
post #12 of 21 Old 03-23-2020, 06:44 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

That'd be interesting to see once installed.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

post #13 of 21 Old 03-24-2020, 04:11 PM
akula
1984 CJ7 

Garage
This was the original photo in the thread
Attached Thumbnails
25475240073_original.jpg  
turbogus, Cutlass327 and Jim1611 like this.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-24-2020, 07:37 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

That looks nice! I would be nervous with the cooler that low, a stick at the wrong angle would not end well...

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

post #15 of 21 Old 03-25-2020, 11:28 AM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akula View Post
Here it is.
Did you sandblast and powdercoat it before installing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in