• 1 Post By RAMMJETT
  • 1 Post By Nor Cal CJ5

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-07-2020, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Submariner

1976 CJ5 

Garage
collaspe lifter on a 1976? 360 v8

I believe I have a collapsed lifter on #6 cylinder.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what all you did to fix it.

I know more info. I was just bought the cj5 2 weeks ago and it had been sitting for a number of years in the guys front yard only to be started once or twice a year to make sure it still ran.

So I bought this CJ and brought it home. While coming home I noticed it had a backfire into the carburetor. I ran a compression test and came up with 135 /150 psi in all the cylinders.

I "just" pulled the valve covers and surprisingly the top of the heads were pretty clean, no oil sludge or burnt oil as one would expect from an old engine. But the exhaust valve rocker arm on #6 cylinder was way loose1/16th inch or worse loose.

I am sure I will need to pull the intake manifold for sure but will I need to pull the heads to remove the lifter. I also want to inspect the cam to see if the lob has been damage.

Suggestions on what to look for would be helpful. I know I can work around an engine but I am not that familiar with a 360 v8. Could use some guidance on torg specs for the various items that I need to remove.

Thanks

Submariner and you wonder why I am this way LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-07-2020, 12:39 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI you might pull the rocker and make sure its not just a bent push rod.. roll the push rod on a flat surface and if it wobbles its bent..
good luck
tim
post #3 of 11 Old 07-07-2020, 10:37 PM
Chrisinchwk
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I believe I have a collapsed lifter on #6 cylinder.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what all you did to fix it.

I know more info. I was just bought the cj5 2 weeks ago and it had been sitting for a number of years in the guys front yard only to be started once or twice a year to make sure it still ran.

So I bought this CJ and brought it home. While coming home I noticed it had a backfire into the carburetor. I ran a compression test and came up with 135 /150 psi in all the cylinders.

I "just" pulled the valve covers and surprisingly the top of the heads were pretty clean, no oil sludge or burnt oil as one would expect from an old engine. But the exhaust valve rocker arm on #6 cylinder was way loose1/16th inch or worse loose.

I am sure I will need to pull the intake manifold for sure but will I need to pull the heads to remove the lifter. I also want to inspect the cam to see if the lob has been damage.

Suggestions on what to look for would be helpful. I know I can work around an engine but I am not that familiar with a 360 v8. Could use some guidance on torg specs for the various items that I need to remove.

Thanks
It could also have a worn off lobe on the cam. I believe you can measure the throw of the lifter with a dial indicator. Unfortunately (at least on my 74 360) you have to pull the intake to get the lifters out.
Submariner and pedal2themetai like this.

Chris

post #4 of 11 Old 07-08-2020, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Submariner

1976 CJ5 

Garage
I was thinking that I would have to pull the intake. I was hoping at that point I could remove the lifter, check it out and inspect the top of the lob to see if there was any damage..

At that time I will decide if I am going to pull the fornt clip off and then continue with the rest of the work on the engine. I will then know if it is just a quick fix or in for a long drawn out engine rebuild.

post #5 of 11 Old 07-08-2020, 10:24 AM
RAMMJETT

A collapsed lifter should not cause a backfire through the intake , the lifter does not have enough hydraulic piston travel to stop the exhaust valve from opening . it will cause a lot of ticking and reduce performance on that cylinder but should not backfire . More likely, all that sitting caused poor lube to the camshaft causing the lobe wipe out . Another common cause of flat tappet /cam lobe failure is using oil with no ZDDP , I quite often use diesel oil in my jeep with it's old 360 as it has high levels of ZDDP . Most all oils today do not have this additive and will wipe out your lifters / rocker balls /fuel pump lobes ect..
pedal2themetai likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-08-2020, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Submariner

1976 CJ5 

Garage
nope it is a very bad dished lifter and a badly worn lob on the cam. I will post pictures later after I get the camshaft out. I have to admit itis pretty clean on the inside compared to some engines I have opened up in the past.

post #7 of 11 Old 07-08-2020, 01:32 PM
CJ7BobbyH
1985 CJ7 

Same thing just happened to me, new pushrods, cam and lifters, and from now on will definitely use an oil with zinc and/or a zinc additive
post #8 of 11 Old 07-08-2020, 04:41 PM
RAMMJETT

That's what happens with those old engines , guys let them sit for years and then start them up and let them idle . The cam is lubed mainly by throw off oil from the spinning crank .The cam can only run dry for so long before it wipes it's self out . That is also why you need to rev up a new engine or a engine with a new cam . My guess is the guy was also using the wrong oil as they removed the additive long before people knew what was going on . Make sure when you install your new cam you use lots of break in lube and run the engine at 2500 for a while to let the lifters seat (don't let it idle for a while )., and find the correct oil for flat tappet lifters, diesel oil will work if you can't find anything else ..
post #9 of 11 Old 07-08-2020, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Submariner

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Intake is off and the cam is exposed, yes there is a worn out lob and a dished lifter. Now to figure out what year the engine is. so I can order parts. Here are some pictures to show where I am at.

I also need a timing chain and gears really sloopy.

I did not have to remove the heads. Noiw get everything cleaned up and put back together. Just need to get all the specs and torqs. lol
Attached Thumbnails
20200708_180359_resized.jpg   20200708_112120_resized.jpg   20200708_180333_resized.jpg   20200708_112112_resized.jpg  

post #10 of 11 Old 07-09-2020, 07:53 AM
Nor Cal CJ5

Great pictures Submariner.

Depending on what cam you use when you put back together, research the alignment of the distributor gear, fuel pump eccentric, and cam timing gear. Some don’t align well and it’s important the oiling works well on these parts on the front of the cam.
uptillnow likes this.

1972 CJ5 304 V8, 3 speed manual trans
post #11 of 11 Old 07-10-2020, 09:09 AM
RAMMJETT

Looking good . How I miss working on those old beasts ,so simple . Why not throw in a bit of a performance cam ,nothing too much for a stock motor but you're there anyway . Make sure you use lots of cam lube on the lobes when you put it in . Most cam damage is done in the first few min after start up when done wrong .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in