CJ7 YJ Blend - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-15-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
StearnsJC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

CJ7 YJ Blend

I have a 90 YJ Islander and got an engine for it from a friend. The engine is from a 78 CJ7 Levi edition. After I put the engine in I found out he has the body from the firewall back. I would like to blend the 2 together. I know the dash is a big deal to convert the YJ into a more classic look. What else should I try blending into this creation? The floor pans are rusted out on the CJ also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-15-2019, 03:49 PM
Bmann412

Garage
There is a lot that can be converted over with a little work. I am swapping a yj tub over to my cj right now. Most of the parts are interchangeable. Some one else will have to correct me if I wrong but the earlier yjs use a speedometer cable much like the CJs which makes the dash and gauge swap a lot easier. The hood fenders and grill from the cj will bolt right up. If you plan on doing the conversation be sure to record it here. I am sure lots of people would like to watch your progress

1998 TJ 5.9l
1978 CJ7 Renegade
2013 JK
post #3 of 13 Old 11-16-2019, 04:36 PM
87MJTim

1987 MJ Comanche 

I put a YJ tub on 84 ‘7. The two issues regarding mounting tub are mount locations. The CJ tub mounts in front of the rear wheels have to be moved forward a few inches. And the rear cross member mount needs to have the holes opened wider. The YJ tub has different bolt locations.

If you want to keep the CJ drop tailgate vs. the YJ swing gate, you need to get the hinges and hardware off the CJ before trashing it.

Rear tire mount? Get all the hardware, also. The hole for the tire carrier will not lineup with the swing gate, so welding the old holes will be necessary.

Gas filler caps are on opposite sides. Cutting an opening for the CJ and welding the YJ hole to close....

Tim

87 Comanche, 4.0, AX15 (formerly BA10/5), D44
84 CJ7, 4.0 (93 XJ) AX15 (Formerly T5)

post #4 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 09:44 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

If I understand this correctly, you have a YJ and are planning to use a CJ-7 tub on it. That is the opposite of what most people do, putting a YJ tub on a CJ-7.

I'm not sure I see the benefit if the floor pans are rusted out in both tubs.

What is it about the CJ tub that you like and want to incorporate in your YJ? If it is the dash, I'm not sure that will work, as the YJ dash has a large defroster duct that passes through it and is hidden by the dash pad. I don't think that would be able to remain if swapping to a CJ layout. There are people out there that can custom make a dash, I had a dash made with the stock CJ layout but with bolt holes to fit a YJ tub. This was when I put a 95 Yj tub on my 83 CJ-7. It could possibly be done if you also use the CJ windshield frame, and CJ heater assembly. The CJ defroster flows through the inside channel of the windshield frame. However, it is less effective.

The main differences in the tubs are the dash layout, spacing for the windshield frame brackets on the dash, tailgate, fuel filler location, and body mounts on the rear cross member and in front of the rear tires. Also the rear fender flares. Roll bars are different also. The 78 CJ probably mounts on top of the rear fender, the YJs mount to the floor, like later CJs. 1992 and up YJs have the family style roll bar.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4167.jpg  

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks
post #5 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 07:57 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The dash and other parts will swap in. That is why we use the better protected Wrangler tub when the CJ tubs rust out.

You can zip through the part about mounting holes if you are keeping the wrangler tub, and the part about the fuel tank. It is unlikely a CJ fuel tank is going to fit, the frame rails are different, so your fuel filler may stay where it is. I say "unlikely" as I have never seen anyone try to put a CJ tank into a Wrangler, the CJ steel tank is inferior.

The front cllp will fit but you will have to find out for yourself what bracketry etc is needed, this is not a common swap on to the Wrangler frame.

Personaly, I like the side hinged tailgate.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #6 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 06:38 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

The dash panels are not a direct swap. They fit, but the bolt holes don't line up and the spacing for the windshield holes are different.

A CJ fuel tank will fit in a YJ frame. Early YJs (87-90) used a metal tank like the CJs. Later YJ plastic tanks won't fit in a CJ frame because the CJ frame is narrower.

The YJ front clip will bolt to the CJ tub, but I don't think the CJ grill will fit the YJ frame without modifications.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks
post #7 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 07:19 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

This was a good read for the dash conversion:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/feature...a-yj-9865.html

Here are a few more swaps.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...ersion-975774/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...roject-893782/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...h-swap-964874/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...w-dash-991512/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...rsion-1179497/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #8 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
StearnsJC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

To be honest I dont like the YJ dash setup however I like the CJ dash. I would like to change that over. As for the rollbars I prefer the YJ setup. It is my intent to Keep the YJ tub on the frame, change out the dash to resemble the CJ dash, The tailgate is not a big deal to me I like both the swing gate and the drop gate. The grill of the CJ has a better look in my opinion. however all of this has been put on hold since the trans decided to go out. No reverse. That has become priority #1. lol. I can rebuild an engine with my eyes shut however I have never rebuilt a trans. Kinda scared. As for the fuel tank my YJ is a 90 with a 15 gal metal tank. If the tank will fit, a spare tank would not be a bad idea.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
StearnsJC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thank You John. the links were great reads. I really appreciate it.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-21-2019, 11:00 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Depending on the condition of both you would keep the best one or maybe lean toward repairing the YJ tub. The YJ frame is suppose to be a little better as are the wider springs of the YJ. If the running gear of the YJ is OK, convert the YJ to look like a CJ. There are good instructions on how to convert the dash. If you are going to trash the CJ7 tub, save the tailgate. You may want to convert it in the future and it "almost" fits.

There are many writeups on moving the CJ fenders, hood and grill.

If you are going to run a soft top there will be less problems. The CJ tailgate and a YJ hard top can be problematic.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-22-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
StearnsJC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The tub on the YJ is in good shape, I plan on sticking with it, I just want to make it look like the CJ7 as much as possible inside and out.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-22-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
StearnsJC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is my YJ. Currently down with transmission Issues.
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0125.jpg   KIMG0124.jpg   KIMG0128.jpg   KIMG0126.jpg   KIMG0127.jpg  

post #13 of 13 Old 11-22-2019, 04:58 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

...Then the answer is simple...Dash, Grill, Fenders, Hood. The springs and frame of the YJ are said to be superior to the CJ7. Some of the YJ tubs are even galvanized under the paint.

If you follow the I am Jake channel on YouTube, that is exactly what he has. Unless you want everything to be stock CJ, I see no reason to keep what is best. On my CJ7 only the tub fenders, grill hardtop, doors and frame and back seat are original CJ7. Motor, transmission, axels, springs, hydraulic clutch pedal, bumpers, front seat, steering wheel, digital autometer dash are all aftermarket. If I was to build it from scratch frame, I would start with a YJ for the above reasons because only the shell is CJ7 anyhow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in