CJ7 Transmission Noise - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-26-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
calebcj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 37
Cj CJ7 Transmission Noise

Hey guys, had great luck on the forum before so figured id try it again.

Just finished putting a 304 into my cj7 and took it out for a test drive. I heard a grinding sort of noise in the transmission when it was moving even coasting in neutral. I took it back after only about a tenth of a mile because i didn't want to do any damage.

Maybe low on fluid? I cant imagine that because i didnt really touch the transmission, I left it in when i did the swap.

My friend heard the same sort of noise except it was constant and not only when the jeep was moving, after he put pulled his 360, and it was the pilot bushing, and the noise went away after some driving.

Any thoughts, maybe the T-Case?

Thanks!

calebcj7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 06:20 AM
87MJTim
Registered User
 
87MJTim's Avatar
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Market, MD
Posts: 550
Can you raise the CJ on jack stands, put in gear and listen for the noise: bell housing, transmission, or transfer case?

Tim

87 Comanche, 4.0, AX15 (formerly BA10/5), D44
84 CJ7, 4.0 (93 XJ) AX15 (Formerly T5)
87MJTim is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 07:27 AM
Fourtrail
Registered User
1974 CJ6 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,285
Did the noise change with road speed or with engine speed?

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
Fourtrail is online now  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
calebcj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Did the noise change with road speed or with engine speed?
With road speed, any movement at all even just coasting.

I was breaking in the engine in my garage and didnt hear anything.
calebcj7 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
calebcj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MJTim View Post
Can you raise the CJ on jack stands, put in gear and listen for the noise: bell housing, transmission, or transfer case?
With it running and in gear i assume?
calebcj7 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 12:16 PM
87MJTim
Registered User
 
87MJTim's Avatar
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Market, MD
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebcj7 View Post
With it running and in gear i assume?
Yes. I would be good to have a helper. Someone to sit in the driver's seat and the other to listen to the noise.

Tim

87 Comanche, 4.0, AX15 (formerly BA10/5), D44
84 CJ7, 4.0 (93 XJ) AX15 (Formerly T5)
87MJTim is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 12:31 PM
Fourtrail
Registered User
1974 CJ6 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebcj7 View Post
With road speed, any movement at all even just coasting.

I was breaking in the engine in my garage and didnt hear anything.

This should rule out the flexplate/torque convertor. did you only shift the trans to neutral, or did you also shift the t-case into neutral?


Did you pull the entire driveline during the swap, or only the motor?

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
Fourtrail is online now  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
calebcj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
This should rule out the flexplate/torque convertor. did you only shift the trans to neutral, or did you also shift the t-case into neutral?


Did you pull the entire driveline during the swap, or only the motor?
Since its a manual it shouldn't even have a flex plate or torque converter anyway right? I only shifted the t case to 4 and 2 hi not neutral.

I only pulled the engine so thats why im confused, i never even touched the trans.

On a side note, just drained the transmission oil and it was very thick and milkshake color and only had about 1 qt instead of the 1.4 qt it should have so maybe that could be it when i fill it back up? Also the boot where the clutch linkage connects to the tranny is ripped to shreds and leaving the tranny open so maybe water got in that way?
calebcj7 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 02:24 PM
Fourtrail
Registered User
1974 CJ6 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebcj7 View Post
Since its a manual it shouldn't even have a flex plate or torque converter anyway right? I only shifted the t case to 4 and 2 hi not neutral.

I only pulled the engine so thats why im confused, i never even touched the trans.

On a side note, just drained the transmission oil and it was very thick and milkshake color and only had about 1 qt instead of the 1.4 qt it should have so maybe that could be it when i fill it back up? Also the boot where the clutch linkage connects to the tranny is ripped to shreds and leaving the tranny open so maybe water got in that way?

Oops, not sure where I got the auto. Yeah, no flexplate/torque convertor. There is a seal at the front input, so a bad clutch fork boot won't let water into the case.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
Fourtrail is online now  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 02:59 PM
TerryHowe
Registered User
 
TerryHowe's Avatar
1949 CJ3A 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Durango
Posts: 195
Garage
If you have the noise coasting, was the noise associated with engine rpms or speed? Like if you drove in first gear to 3000 rpms, pressed in the clutch and put the trans in neutral and let the engine idle the sound should be different speed vs rpm. I would do this before getting it on jack stands.

I would assume the noise is a clutch issue more than transmission .

Do you have the 3 speed or 4 speed. I don't think it matters much, but might help.

Terry Howe
'49 Willys CJ-3A
TerryHowe is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
calebcj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryHowe View Post
If you have the noise coasting, was the noise associated with engine rpms or speed? Like if you drove in first gear to 3000 rpms, pressed in the clutch and put the trans in neutral and let the engine idle the sound should be different speed vs rpm. I would do this before getting it on jack stands.

I would assume the noise is a clutch issue more than transmission .

Do you have the 3 speed or 4 speed. I don't think it matters much, but might help.
It was associated with speed, rpms had nothing to do with it.

I have a 3 speed the t150
calebcj7 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 11-30-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
calebcj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 37
Thankyou to everyone for your adice, the noise went away for me after new fluid was put in!
calebcj7 is offline  
Reply

Tags
304 , cj7 , grind , jeep , transmission

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome