CJ7 Starts and Dies Immediately - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fourtrail
  • 1 Post By LumpyGrits

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-03-2021, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Mobymadness

Cj CJ7 Starts and Dies Immediately

Good morning. Struggling with my 84 CJ7.

It starts over and runs for a second. Then dies.

Things I have done to try and fix this.
  • Fuel Pump
  • Filter
  • Distributor cap
  • Spark plugs and wires
  • New Carbeurator
  • New Battery with cables
  • Tested the ignition solenoid

I have also checked for vacuum leaks and not been successful in finding any. I am going to replace the starter solenoid tonight as well as the EGR valve.

Not sure where to head next or what to look for. It ran great a few days ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-03-2021, 06:54 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Does it repeat the start/die sequence each time you attempt to start it up?

Or, after it dies once, does it take a while before it will fire again?

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old 08-03-2021, 07:56 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Sounds like your ignition switch is out of adjustment, you might be loosing power to the ignition box and coil once you release the key from the start position back to the run position. Need to check for approx 9v at the coil and 12v to the ignition box with the key in the run position
Matt1981CJ7 likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

post #4 of 15 Old 08-03-2021, 09:19 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Sounds like your ignition switch is out of adjustment, you might be loosing power to the ignition box and coil once you release the key from the start position back to the run position. Need to check for approx 9v at the coil and 12v to the ignition box with the key in the run position

This is good advice, as usual from Fourtrail.

I'll add a warning. Don't leave the key in the run position for too long while doing your testing. Otherwise, you risk burning up the ICM and coil.

Good luck,

Matt

post #5 of 15 Old 08-03-2021, 10:00 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Also the resistor wire from the switch to the coil could be bad.
The jeep runs off the Ignition bypass from the starter solenoid. But as soon as you let off the key, it has no more power.
Look for a bad splice near the bulkhead connector or a broken/ loose wire on the ignition coil plug.

Do you have a DVM? you can check the voltage at the (+) terminal on the coil when the key is in the run position. That would be a big help as far as trouble shooting.
Should be around 9 volts. Don't leave the key on for long though. As Matt pointed out, you will be replacing your ICM.

But as usual, I would also suspect the ICM is also bad. He should be able to take it in to get tested. Just can't deliver enough power to keep it running.

I would not replace the starter as yet...

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #6 of 15 Old 08-03-2021, 10:19 AM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Run a wire from the battery POS to the POS side of the coil.
If it runs, look hard at your ign switch.
Gary
bob4703 likes this.

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
post #7 of 15 Old 08-03-2021, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Mobymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Does it repeat the start/die sequence each time you attempt to start it up?

Or, after it dies once, does it take a while before it will fire again?

Matt

Once it dies, it takes a while for it to fire up again. It takes the help of some starting fluid too.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-03-2021, 05:51 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobymadness View Post
Once it dies, it takes a while for it to fire up again. It takes the help of some starting fluid too.

Does it die when you let off the key from cranking, or does it run a bit after you let off the key then die? Have you checked to see if you are getting fuel from the pump when cranking? If you have a bad rubber line, you may not be pumping fuel when cranking, or just enough when cranking to get it to run for a short time. I would pull the fuel line off of the carb and make sure you are getting good spurts of fuel when you are cranking.

You can also fill the fuel bowl through the vent to see if it runs longer with a full float bowl.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #9 of 15 Old 08-04-2021, 06:43 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobymadness View Post
OK, that's important information.

I'd start with confirming you have fuel getting to the carb, as Fourtrail suggested.

Let us know, and we'll go from there.

Matt

post #10 of 15 Old 08-04-2021, 07:02 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

This is beginning to sound like the time I had a pinhole leak in my fuel line back near the tank.

This goes along with what Fourtrail is talking about checking the fuel pump is pumping correctly.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #11 of 15 Old 08-04-2021, 09:23 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

Check the color of the spark. Could also be a bad coil.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-04-2021, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Mobymadness

Thanks all. I’ll start testing some of this and report back. In the middle of relaxing the intake/exhaust manifold gaskets. Once it’s back together, it’ll have a new EGR valve and ignition coil.

Mark
post #13 of 15 Old 08-04-2021, 10:39 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

Check for spark the next time it wont start. It could be a fuel or ignition problem, that will help narrow it down. Besides the many good suggestions above you could also be dealing with a bad control module.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-04-2021, 01:50 PM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

Yes, check for spark. You can buy cheap plug tester that go between the plug and wire to see if each plug is getting fire.
Check your ignition module connection. I had one that had a couple cuts in the wires causing it to arc once in awhile and die and not start for awhile.
But if its a fuel issue...don't forget the sock filter in the gas tank. Went through a list of parts decades ago trying to figure out a similar die/no start issue...finally it was the $5 sock filter collapsing with 1/4 or less showing on the gauge.

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
'04 WJ
post #15 of 15 Old 08-08-2021, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Mobymadness

Got it running.

I was getting fuel when giving it throttle but I guess I wasnít getting any at idle. So I traced it back to the fuel tank. Dropped the tank and discovered the sending unit was toast. Iím thinking there was not enough vacuum at idle to get through the system. I changed that out and it runs great now. I also replaced the ignition coil when it was down.

Thanks for the help, all. Now, itís time to replace the valve cover.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in