• 2 Post By Matt1981CJ7

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-18-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
JustaKidWithaCJ

1978 CJ7 

Garage
CJ7 Shock measurement off?

Hi all,
So my cj needs new shocks, PO had a SOA lift but never ended up swapping driveshafts and such. Anyways, old shocks are too long for stock (I think) ride hight. My problem is the front shock mounting bolts measure 10.5" centre to centre and everywhere I'm seeing shocks for Cj7 the collapsed length is close to 12-13 inches. Is something wrong here or do I need to look something else up? Rear shock bolts measure 18" centre-centre if that changes anything.

-E

I can't think of a good signature...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-18-2019, 02:59 PM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

are you SOA or SUA? what year? any pictures? how tall is your upper shock mount from the frame? is your lower mount on the axle tube or u bolt plate?

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal
post #3 of 13 Old 09-18-2019, 07:04 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Collapsed length is the distance from the axle to the bump stop minus about 1".

Extended length is the maximum length of the limiting straps or axle droop plus whatever extra length you think the suspension can be forced into.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne

post #4 of 13 Old 09-19-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
JustaKidWithaCJ

1978 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
are you SOA or SUA? what year? any pictures? how tall is your upper shock mount from the frame? is your lower mount on the axle tube or u bolt plate?
It's back to SUA year is 1978 but axles are off a 1982 CJ7, don't know why po swapped them. I'll take some pics and measurements this afternoon hopefully that explains it. Does anyone know if AMC/Jeep change the mounting location of the shock mounts between '78 and '82? If so that might explain things. I'll check online for '82 shocks and see if they're any shorter.

post #5 of 13 Old 09-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

IIRC, AMC changed to a taller front upper shock mount and moved the front lower mount to the axle when they went with wide track axles in Ď82.

So, Iím guessing you have the shorter upper mount of a narrow track CJ with a wide track lower mount. Thatís why your measurements are off.

Matt
John Strenk and keith460 like this.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-19-2019, 06:46 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You probably need to fing a set of these spring plates

spring-mounts.jpg

https://www.morris4x4center.com/jeep...ring_plate.htm

I don't know it the later CJ mounts on the axle will get in the way. though.

Or get a set of frame mount for the later CJ like this:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/56011_202.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #7 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 07:19 AM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaKidWithaCJ View Post
Does anyone know if AMC/Jeep change the mounting location of the shock mounts between '78 and '82? If so that might explain things. I'll check online for '82 shocks and see if they're any shorter.
Probably swapped out to get wider axles. Matt is correct...78 used a lower shock mount on the u bolt plate. In 82, they moved it to the axle tube, but also moved the upper mount higher, so the stock shock length did not change.

If you do have the short shock mounts on the frame from the 78 and the lower mount on the axle tube, then you will need to either need to get u bolt plates with the shock mount on them (from a 76-81 CJ) and cut the mount off the axle tube (been there, done that; it will be in the way of the shock), OR get taller upper mounts for the frame. This will require cutting the old mounts off and possibly cutting the inner fender for it to fit.

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal
post #8 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
JustaKidWithaCJ

1978 CJ7 

Garage
So it sounds like the easiest fix is to get the spring mount plates and cut the axle bracket off. You're saying that should get me back to stock shock measurements?

post #9 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 10:38 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
So it sounds like the easiest fix is to get the spring mount plates and cut the axle bracket off. You're saying that should get me back to stock shock measurements?
Wait, let's think this through.
You have a SOA so the shock mount that is mounted on the axle would already be below the spring.
So that would locate it in approximately the same location as the stock spring setup.

Frame might be 4" thick, 79 style upper shock mount might be 2" above the top of the frame rail, shock mount on the axle is probably 1".
The thickness of the spring is probably 2"

That's 9" inches there not counting the space between the frame and the top of the spring.
I cant see that being even close to being 10" apart unless the springs are badly flattened.

Are you sure you have a SOA setup??

You got 21 posts now, It would help if you had a picture of the spring plate they used in the SOA conversion.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 12:32 PM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
You have a SOA so the shock mount that is mounted on the axle would already be below the spring.
I sounds like a PO went SOA and then he went back to SUA

Quote:
It's back to SUA year is 1978 but axles are off a 1982 CJ7

post #11 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
JustaKidWithaCJ

1978 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
I sounds like a PO went SOA and then he went back to SUA
That's correct. PO put springs above the axles but nothing else so when I bought it the driveshafts were all too short and tie rod was rubbing springs. Instead of keeping it SOA and fixing all that stuff I just mounted springs back below the axle. The jeep is currently SUA. What I'm seeing though is because a PO swapped '78 axles for '82, the spring mounts are in different locations. Sounds like the '82 frame mounts were higher than the '78 but then the axle mounting location was changed from the spring pads to the axle. So whereas I should have a spring pad mounted shock mount, I have an axle mounted shock mount, bringing my shock length down to 10.5" when it should be closer to 12-14". Like I said I'll get pics when I can. So my question is, would it be easier to cut out the axle shock mount and buy/make a new spring pad with the shock mount or are there better/cheaper/easier alternatives?

post #12 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 03:57 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

To me that sounds like cutting off the mounts from the axle and get new spring pads will be the easiest

post #13 of 13 Old 09-21-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
JustaKidWithaCJ

1978 CJ7 

Garage
Ok sounds good thanks for the help guys! I'll start a build thread when my next question comes up.

-E

Tags
front , measurement , rear , shock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in