• 2 Post By STJP
  • 1 Post By Hyproglo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

CJ7 shifting stick lifts out

Hello,
I was teaching my daughter how to drive stick shift last night and I was sitting in the passenger seat moving the stick thru the gears and I noticed it wasn't moving correctly. I noticed I was able to lift the stick right out of the area which goes to the transmission. It was just concerning, maybe it has always been like that just gravity keeping it down. Should there be some kind of bolt to make the connection between the 2 pieces? I was able to drive it back home and it felt normal once I had it back in place but I can still just lift it up at will.
Would a new rubber boot over the stick help hold it in place? Is that part of it's purpose beside hide the view thru the hole? Please see attached pictures.
Bottom line, just wondering if this is normal of if I am missing a fastener of some kind.
Thank you.
Shawn

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3689 (1).jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 07:40 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It would help to know what transmission you have.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

T-4 or T-5. There is a spring clip that goes in the bottom of the shifter that holds it down to the shift housing/stub. Here is an Ebay link for a new spring clip and isolator that should keep it in place going forward.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-T4-T5-...-/162339495451

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

post #4 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 08:48 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Yep, your missing the plastic Isolator, which keeps the spring clip firm against the shift lever arm. Makes a world of difference when both the Isolator and Spring Clip are replaced together. But I'm sure someone is going to post how they used bolts or welded nuts on the shift handles to hold them in place and swear it is the best solution... That's a hokey way of doing things IMO.

I see you have one of the fabulous shift boots from Crown that fall apart if you even look at them the wrong way. OEM boots are, or at least were, still available from the Jeep dealer. I was able to buy one for about $24.00 2 years ago and I know it will last just about forever. I went through two Crown made boots in about 5 years time and my Jeep isn't even a DD.

Pictured below is new OEM T4/5 boot and original D300 shift boot of 35 years.
Attached Thumbnails
OEM T5 Dana 300 shift boots.jpg  

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #5 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 09:29 AM
STJP
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
OEM boots are, or at least were, still available from the Jeep dealer.
The OEM boots are not available from dealers based on my efforts to find them. Believe me I've tried. I'm sure some boots are sitting on a shelf in some back room of an old dealership somewhere, but don't expect to be able call up any dealer and find them.

Here's the best option today IMO.

https://www.strongholdshiftboots.com/

I have ordered a set for T5/D300 and they are well built and look sharp.

STJP
Rsb201 and sman26 like this.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

Fourtrail,
Thank you for that information and the link. I will be ordering one of these soon.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

keith460,
Thank you for verifying the plastic isolator. So would you think the pieces which Fourtrail showed in his image is all I would need minus the actual stick? Pretty straightforward? Remove the rubber shift boot, and should just make sense once I see the pieces and what's missing?

Thank you also for noticing my rubber shift boot and giving me suggestions. I do like the rubber over the leather and it sounds like the OEM is darn near impossible to get and the "Crown" is junk. Any other rubber suggestions? Maybe just something of Quadratec? My D300 rubber shift boot is still in great shape.

Take care,
Shawn
post #8 of 15 Old 08-14-2018, 05:10 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Those two parts are all you need. Sometimes it is a good idea to square up the bottom portion of the shift lever in a vise to get it square again. They have a tendency to flare at the bottom from years of shifting and too much slop from not being tight on the transmission. I think I used a piece of square stock that just fit inside of the lever arm and then used the vise to squeeze it around.

Good quality rubber parts are hard to find without the Crown or Omix name on them. I just ordered more rubber pieces from Quadratec the other day as the Crown rubber has deteriorated once again. Clutch fork boot, clutch rod boot, lower steering arm boot, etc. Its all garbage but nobody else makes them. I did find a Fairchild Industries lower steering column boot and they seem to be good. I'm going to try soaking them in motor oil for awhile to see if they will last longer and be more pliable. We'll see.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #9 of 15 Old 08-14-2018, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

Thanks again. Soaking in motor oil...that sounds interesting. Would be cool if that works.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-15-2018, 06:12 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Cj

After the second plastic clip died. I just drilled the two together and used a #10 bolt and locknut. Never been an issue since.
LG

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
post #11 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Hyproglo
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJP View Post
Here's the best option today IMO.

https://www.strongholdshiftboots.com/

I have ordered a set for T5/D300 and they are well built and look sharp.

STJP
Thanks for this. I've ordered a set for my T-176 and Dana 300 with twin stick.
STJP likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 07:52 PM
87MJTim

1987 MJ Comanche 

Hijack!

I have tried to separate those two pieces on other trans, but cannot find away to do it. I read some where that there is a tool that will slide up between the post and the shift lever that will spread the clips apart. I have never found such a tool.

1. Is there such a tool? What is it called?

2. Where can someone purchase it?

Tim

87 Comanche, 4.0, AX15 (formerly BA10/5), D44
84 CJ7, 4.0 (93 XJ) AX15 (Formerly T5)
post #13 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 09:38 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MJTim View Post
I have tried to separate those two pieces on other trans, but cannot find away to do it.

Use a small pair of C-clamp vise grips. They will be able to pinch the metal tabs of the Spring Clip inward which allows you to pull the Shift Lever Arm off.
Attached Images

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #14 of 15 Old 08-24-2018, 10:49 PM
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. My shifter had gotten really loose lately, so I ordered these parts. I pulled the boot, and the whole stick just lifted right off. The rubber isolator was almost entirely gone. With the new parts, it feels like new.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I believe that much of the problem with OEM style replacement shifter boots is that the OEM boot was barely large enough to cover the shift tower. This means that the rubber boot has to stretch close to it's limit when moving from gear to gear. I installed an over sized universal boot from Hurst or Mr. Gasket (can't remember anymore for sure which one) in 91 as part of an engine/trans swap, and have never had to replace it since. Also, I think that using something like Armor All when cleaning the boot will help it stay soft and protect from UV damage when running topless.

There are literally hundreds of replacement boots out there, just pick one that's a little larger than stock but not too big to fit with the other boot for the transfer case. You'll have to make new holes in the metal tunnel plate for the mounting screws, but that's no big deal.
https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...langId=-1&No=0

It's not the Voltage, but the Amperage that will kill you.

Tags
cj7 , shifter , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in