CJ7 Saginaw Serpentine Pump - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-09-2021, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
victex
1985 CJ7 

CJ7 Saginaw Serpentine Pump

I am spinning my wheels on an engine swap. I bought someone else’s project and can’t seem to get it straight. I have an 85 CJ7 with the 258 and a V belt. I bought an engine that is a 258 block with a 4.0 head and has the short snout serpentine harmonic balancer. I could probably get all the accessories for the 4.0 serpentine set up but was planning on just running the Holley Sniper kit with the 258 manifold, so the power steering pump isn’t going to line up with the intake.

Can anyone tell me if I can swap the pulley out on the Saginaw pump I have and make it work with the serpentine belt? Or would I be better off having someone fabricate a bracket to fit the 4.0 pump to the 258 intake?I have a set of 4.0 headers.

I have looked for a California pump and brackets but haven’t had any luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-09-2021, 02:14 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

I would consider using the 4.0 'horseshoe' intake manifold, plug the holes for the injectors and use the full 4.0 serpentine assembly. Whichever way you go, if you are running a serpentine setup, make sure that you have the correct reverse rotation water pump or you will fight an overheat issue from the start.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 3 Old 08-09-2021, 03:12 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There are several different pulley depths on shaft, and several different groove sizings, but it's trial and error, from my limited research and experience because I am not certain of where you might find the specs for them.

I have run several 258 blocks with V-belt setups usually with manual steering. On my Saginaw PS project, I used an old Ebay pulley that happened to be exactly right for setback to line up with a 4.0 reverse water pump, Offy manifold, and double crank pulley. However, to get there I tried 3 other different number, stock AMC pulleys and nearly trashed it all for a serp set-up out of frustration.

I did have to modify (hog out) the mount bracket to the intake slightly to get all of the bracket bolts to attach.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in