CJ7 purchase - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-16-2020, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
GreenMacheen

CJ7 purchase

Hi, I used to own a 79 CJ7 which was my first car. I'm looking at purchasing another similar year that I just stumbled on to. Sounds like it needs a rear driveshaft ("pulled out in mud") and one front locking hub. So, I have a two-part ?

1) anyone want to take a wild guess with obviously limited info provided at an approx cost of having this done by a mechanic ? (actually would like the whole truck looked at for safety, not restoration purposes)

2) anyone want to recommend a shop North of Boston? I searched up: BostonJeepz, Gregs Restorations, The JeepDr.com... but figured I'd ask. Not opposed to doing it myself since I don't plan on using it until next year prob but currently I'm too busy at work and would like to get a few rides before winter.

My original Jeep:

Attached Thumbnails
Jeep.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-16-2020, 09:04 AM
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

Be careful. Sounds like it may have been driven hard. If you have that obvious damage, there may be more you have not been told about.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-16-2020, 11:54 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

There's a lot more questions than answers here...

Do they have the driveline? How was it damaged? Do they know for a fact the transmission and/ or diff is ok? How about the front hub?

And wth is in the middle of that pic?

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-16-2020, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
GreenMacheen

I think yes it definitely has seen some hard-driving on it offroad (apparently it saw mainly dirt roads) over the years.
It has very little visible damage or rust on body and the seller reports the frame is in equally in good condition (stored inside during winter). I'd say comparing it to my 79, it looks visually to be in way better shape. Mine had lots of damage and lots of rust because of year round driving and what I'm imagining was aggressive offroad use. So my thought was if this doesn't that much visible wear maybe it was more like mud and rutted trails vs rocks and trees...

My goal would just to make a summer cruiser out of it. Semi-reliable running, solid tires,brakes,steering... no road trips or commutes with it. Store it in winter.

The Center of that pic is just a rip because it was taken in the 80s.

Last edited by GreenMacheen; 10-17-2020 at 07:51 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-16-2020, 02:35 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
What are they asking for it?

----JEEPFELLER
post #6 of 13 Old 10-17-2020, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
GreenMacheen

He didn't really have a number. I was thinking 3K (I kind of threw that number out to him and it seemed ok).

I kind of figure another 1-2K to get it roadworthy. I'm not interested in doing a full restore maybe just protect from further deterioration and enjoy the vintage of it. Seemed to be pretty original except tires/wheels.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-17-2020, 08:33 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Am I correct that this vehicle is being bought undriveable then?

Got any pics?

Hoss

post #8 of 13 Old 10-17-2020, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
GreenMacheen

Yes correct needs work to drivetrain but engine runs.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-17-2020, 06:27 PM
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Sounds like it' been rode hard. I'd spend some time under it to check things out. What about the axles? any motion (back/forth, in/out, etc.) on the pinions, U-joints, etc.? How bout suspension condition (bent/broke/twisted/missing)? Since you can't test drive it to check things out I'd use that to get a the lowest price i could; low-ball him if you get serious about getting it.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-18-2020, 02:32 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Up to you if 3k will get it. The sort of damage you are looking at is all fixable and would be cheap if you did it yourself.

i can see axle nuts on the ear axle, so it is a 2 part axle shaft. They can be changed and with labour I would be thinking less than 1k.

Of course it could be more serious trouble inside the diff but part of the fun of buying a non-runner is the mystery. Spare axles are of course available but need careful inspection.

The hub being blown up is quite common, if this is what it is then it is quite cheap to change one. Less than $500 to have both sides done.

The most important aspect is rust, more difficult and expensive to fix. You need to get it cleaned up and carefully looked over, that mud could be hiding all sorts.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #11 of 13 Old 10-18-2020, 08:40 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Up to you if 3k will get it. The sort of damage you are looking at is all fixable and would be cheap if you did it yourself.

i can see axle nuts on the ear axle, so it is a 2 part axle shaft..
That's not a pic of the jeep the OP is looking at, that is his old jeep.

Very hard to give ANY kind of value on the VERY limited info and no pics

for anyone to suggest a value, it'd need to be seen, at least in pics, plus a ton more info...

Motor? Trans?T-case? Diffs? Gears? HT and/ or doors? Seats? Bumpers? Paint/body? Wheels & tires? Springs/ shocks? Wiring? Miles?

And then, once all of those are established, we can talk about the problems it has w/ the rear diff, front hubs, and a value

Hoss

post #12 of 13 Old 10-19-2020, 12:40 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMacheen View Post
He didn't really have a number. I was thinking 3K (I kind of threw that number out to him and it seemed ok).

I kind of figure another 1-2K to get it roadworthy. I'm not interested in doing a full restore maybe just protect from further deterioration and enjoy the vintage of it. Seemed to be pretty original except tires/wheels.
Non-roadable drivetrain

Engine runs in place--but undriven

No visual, for me anyway.

Owner has done no math.

My "Thinker" usually works like my tach, spits out the lowest numbers to begin with. (It's even said "Give it to me, I'll haul it away" and had positive results and the needle never even moved!)

----JEEPFELLER
post #13 of 13 Old 10-19-2020, 01:07 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
I did the same thing about 10 years ago, I had a '77 CJ 5

back when I was in the Marines at Barstow and although it ran great I got weird and traded for a '66 Malibu.

Although I had lots of fun in that Malibu I had seller's remorse for years. So it was I purchased an EBay '78 CJ 5 and despite it being a mechanical journey it's reliable now too.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in