Cj7 Major Coolant leak... need help! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-07-2009, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
mpd0002
1984 CJ7 

Cj7 Major Coolant leak... need help!

So, I've been reading JF for a while, and finally have an issue that I need help with. I got an 84 CJ7 about 2 months ago, and everything has been great, it just used up a little coolant here and there. (For future reference, it has the 258 inline 6, V belts). Until about 4 nights ago, I was out riding around and I could smell coolant (antifreeze) and thought I may have a problem. Sure enough, it started running hotter, so I pulled off, and as soon as I did, just about all the coolant in the truck began pouring out the bottom and had been sprayed all over the engine. There was a bad grinding noise, so, I assumed a bad water pump. I was correct, the bearings were just about gone when I took it off the next day, so I replaced that with a brand new one, and replaced the hoses, just because it was about time to anyway, they needed help.

So, I filled it up with water, and it seemed to hold it all fine and well, started it, still good, revved it up a good bit, still good. Test drive. I was good for about 5 minutes, then I could smell it again, then it got hotter, and hotter. By the time I got back home, it was pouring out the bottom again. It looked as if a hose had just come undone so much was coming out, but all the hoses are good, the seal on the pump is good. The major problem I have now is I can't tell exactly where it is coming from. From what I can see, it is leaking from behind the flywheel that attaches directly to the engine with the center pulley for the 3 belts on it, basically right above the lower radiator hose, near the bottom of the water pump, but from behind that flywheel.

I am at a complete loss of what it is. The pump is brand new, re-replaced the gasket on that and sealed it up well. New hoses. When I put the water pump on there I made sure to clean the surfaces VERY well. I've read that is a common problem. To be honest though, so much is leaking out after it gets hot, it seems like it would have to be a massive leak. It literally pours out. Is there a freeze plug or drain behind that main flywheel that could have gone bad or popped out? I thought maybe a crack from overheating it the first time when the water pump went out. The coolant/water that leaks out is clean as when it went it, no oil mixed in with it that I can see. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I need my jeep back, its my life! So I am here to learn from the experts.

Thanks guys,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 AM
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

I would check your gasket and if you used RTV it probably didnt have time to set up.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Bad pump or failed pump gasket is my guess. There is a weep hole just under the snout on the pump, if the seal failed, it could pour out this.

If you used RTV, the directions on the Permatex ultra black say it needs 24 hours to cure. Pressurize it before that and, well...

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)

post #4 of 6 Old 09-07-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
mpd0002
1984 CJ7 

thanks guys. ill pull it again today and reseal it, let it set dry for 24+ hours. I'll let ya know if that doesn't work. I'm also going to look for any cracks around there... It is a lot of coolant, haha.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-2009, 06:48 PM
nicknoty
1983 CJ7 

if the pump is good i would recomend using right stuff for all gaskets while still using the paper but putting the right stuff on front and back. by the time your ride is back together it more then dry.

whenever i do work on the cooling system of any car i allways do a leakdown at 18psi

83 cj7, white/pearl w/ black trim - 99'ax-15/clocked dana 300 twin sticked - 4"RC lift - HD shackles - 33X10.5 bfg mt's on micky' T 15" classic 2s - HD tierod flipped - custom bumpers with d-rings - winch - flowmaster - obd1 efi swap - 4.6L strocker with com smooth idle cam. soon to be:
rear disc brakes,front and rear tube fender flares and better sliders, 3.0L mercedes turbo diesel power
post #6 of 6 Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknoty View Post
if the pump is good i would recomend using right stuff for all gaskets while still using the paper but putting the right stuff on front and back. by the time your ride is back together it more then dry.

whenever i do work on the cooling system of any car i allways do a leakdown at 18psi
The jury is still out on 'The Right Stuff' I just used it for my valve cover gasket and it leaked even after a 24 hour cure and the junk says it is good to go right away.

I will know in a couple hours if what is left dripping on the ground is residual or new oil from some other leaky spot because I need to go pick up supplies and just re-glued one corner with 'The Right Stuff' yesterday after a failed attempt a couple days back.

Not impressed with 'the right stuff' so far....

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in