Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cj7 lifter tick?

5K views 46 replies 11 participants last post by  JProctor 
#1 ·
I have had this clicking or knocking noise for some time now. Drawing a steady 22inhg at manifold vacuum, initial timing set at 8btdc at 700rpm. Zero noise while clutch is depressed or it is in neutral. Can hold the throttle open at 2000rpm in neutral no problem. Noise disappears any time the clutch is disengaged and a load is put on the engine. Problem occurs in all forward gears to some extent, typically quieter in 1st and loudest in 2nd and 3rd gear. I don't notice anything in reverse although i didn't extensively check, but off the top of my head it isn't an issue. As far as i can tell it isn't effecting performance, but i didn't own the thing when it was new so hard to say. I don't think this is lifter tick, few like if that was the case it would be present in neutral and wouldn't disappear when the clutch is disengaged. I can't tell if i caught it on video, but when you depress the clutch to shift gears it sounds almost like a turbo blowoff for a second. There are also occasional other noises that seem dependent on whether or not the clutch is engaged but i can't definitely assert that because it doesn't happen every time. Also seems to deafen down while in a forward gear going down hill, doesn't eliminate it but it is noticeably quieter.

First video of me driving the thing around for a minute, i never got into 4th gear, mostly stay in second and first. Didn't have anywhere else to set the camera so thats the best angle i could get hopefully y'all can see what gear the shifter is moving in.

Second video is probably the most audible example of the knocking/ticking noise i am talking about. It's towards the end of the first video and i am pretty sure i am in 2nd or 3rd at this point. Like i said, occurs in every forward moving gear, just quieter in 1st and 4th. Being honest by the time i hit 4th the wind is so loud i can barely hear anyways so hard so to say about that one.

Thanks to everyone in advance, this issue has been very elusive to track down, another learning experience i suppose.

Video 1:

Video 2:

See less See more
#44 ·
I was referring to a video of it stationary and in neutral. All sorts of sounds emitting when driving makes it difficult to isolate. It does however, sound like an exhaust leak. Put it in neutral and place your phone underneath. Let it idle and rev it up. Let’s have a listen to the changes?

#46 ·
The 258 has hydrauic lifters which are about as reliable as any 1970s hydraulic lifter. If they had collapsed you would hear it in neutral.

Glad you found the exhaust leak, when you have it all stopperred up put a hand over the exhaust and and see if it is holding air. Your noise is so loud it would have to be in the fornt section / manifold / cat area

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.