CJ7 headlight switch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-08-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
G-FOURce
1986 CJ7 

CJ7 headlight switch

okay, so i was looking at headlight switches b/c the one on my '86 CJ7 needs to be replaced (headlights work but nothing on the dash. in looking around on eBay i see that some say they're compatible with all CJ5 and CJ7s from 73 - 86, then others say they're compatible with CJ5s but not CJ7s. they appear identical to me, so some clarity here would be much appreciated.

also, should i be looking for a particular brand or are these all made by one company and they're all the same?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-08-2013, 11:13 AM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

I personally think Omix-Ada beats Crown when it comes to electronics. But that's like saying a tortoise could beat a slug in a horse race.

My guess is they're the same, CJ7 or CJ5 or CJ8. If you're looking on eBay, I'd recommend Oconee Off Road, they've been really good to me.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-08-2013, 12:16 PM
69moparman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I also need a headlight switch for my 79 CJ7. I checkd at Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, and NAPA. They all asked if I need the one with the stamping 5751098 or without the stamping. I have no idea what the difference is btwn the two, they both look identical. Anyone know what's different?

post #4 of 13 Old 11-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

I think I need a new switch also, the other night all my lights worked normal except the headlights would not come on... I just installed a new crown switch like two years ago and also rewired the whole jeep with zero issues with painless. So I ordered an omix Ada one and I hope that will fix it...
post #5 of 13 Old 11-08-2013, 01:29 PM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlaughlin8 View Post
I think I need a new switch also, the other night all my lights worked normal except the headlights would not come on... I just installed a new crown switch like two years ago and also rewired the whole jeep with zero issues with painless. So I ordered an omix Ada one and I hope that will fix it...
Did you check the floor switch? My headlights went out when I first bought my CJ. I searched and searched and was advised to check the high beam switch, which according to the PO it didn't have. I remembered bumping something in the floor accidentally the day I brought it home. That's the story of how I found the high beam switch and fixed my headlights
post #6 of 13 Old 11-08-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
G-FOURce
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Did you check the floor switch? My headlights went out when I first bought my CJ. I searched and searched and was advised to check the high beam switch, which according to the PO it didn't have. I remembered bumping something in the floor accidentally the day I brought it home. That's the story of how I found the high beam switch and fixed my headlights
I dont see the connection bw the high beam switch on the floor panel and the dash lights all being out but I'll bite.... How would the floor switch impact the functionality of the dash lights?
post #7 of 13 Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Redmanchew

1982 CJ7 

one of the frequently sold switches has a jumper between 2 of the middle pins the other does not. that is the biggest visual que. look at yours after you unplug it and see if 2 of the center pins are like that. match it up...yes or no. I don't have the quick link but if you search for a post by jeephammer he has pics posted of the two different types..... ill check in later if I find my link to them...
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/79...iring-1563588/

check out post 5 from John Strenk... I thought JH did it....sorry one I bought had the jumper 1 bought under the same description did not. I needed the one w/o

1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
post #8 of 13 Old 11-08-2013, 04:19 PM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-FOURce View Post
I dont see the connection bw the high beam switch on the floor panel and the dash lights all being out but I'll bite.... How would the floor switch impact the functionality of the dash lights?
The suggestion was for mlaughlin - it sounded like his dash lights worked but his headlights did not.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Skerr

1985 CJ7 

We also had a floor switch issue that disallowed the dash lighting to work. And we also had the bridged/nonbridged issue with the headlight switch too! When you install the WRONG HL switch it will start smoking rather promptly when you turn it on, and it gets so hot you can't touch it! As Redmanchew states, have a look at the lugs on your switch when you pull it. There will either be two lugs linked together, or there won't be. It is easy to see. Take it down to your parts store and compare what they have in the box.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
post #10 of 13 Old 11-09-2013, 03:36 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69moparman View Post
I also need a headlight switch for my 79 CJ7. I checkd at Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, and NAPA. They all asked if I need the one with the stamping 5751098 or without the stamping. I have no idea what the difference is btwn the two, they both look identical. Anyone know what's different?
Yeah 79 was a tricky year. They used both versions. Have to take your old one in to compare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #11 of 13 Old 11-09-2013, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
G-FOURce
1986 CJ7 

This is great stuff! I'll see if I can pull the switch.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-09-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
G-FOURce
1986 CJ7 

Pulled it and it is the "late 79 and later" dark brown version that does not have the jumper.

Advance auto has one so I am off to pick it up... Keepin' em crossed!
post #13 of 13 Old 11-09-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
G-FOURce
1986 CJ7 

Let there be light! Swapped out the switch and voila... Dash lights work. Two of the lever lights are out (fan speed and vent/heat), but everything else lit up like Christmas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in