CJ7 head removal HELP! - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By John Strenk
  • 1 Post By jeepdaddy2000

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-13-2021, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
MikeB82

CJ7 head removal HELP!

trying for head replacement upgrade with new block. trying to get the old head off ( it appears to be good and was planning to use it as a core on a new head) and having problems. this CJ was bought sight unseen by my son for me to restore. Long story short going with 4.0 upgrade and trying to remove old head. well 2 of the long bolts were broken off into the block and after measuring I have 3/8" of threads up into head which will not let me remove the head. At least i assume that is the issue. I have removed all brackets all 14 bolts are out I unscrewed 12 of them and the 2 others were already broken and just sitting there. I can not get the head to break loose from the block. the block is no good (has a hole in the side)and locked up. so begs 2 questions; 1) can the threaded portion left up in the head be drilled out by me (obviously I cant take this to a machine shop) so my thinking is to drill through the remaining portion of head bolt and not caring about the block but would like to save the head. 2) can those bolts even be drilled out or are they too hard?

but thinking this thing through if the threaded portion of the bolt is all that is stuck into the block then the area in the head that the bolt passes through should not be affected and the head should come off. Right? then with the block damaged ( parts of piston came out the side of the block) could there be something somehow causing the head to not budge at all.? I have tried prying with large screw driver stuck into the intake and exhaust ports on the side and the head will not budge.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-13-2021, 04:45 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
Unless I'm missing my guess you have a portion of the bolt sticking out of the block, like a stud. Before going drastic perhaps take a measured approach; PB Blaster, Heat/Cold, if there is a stub try tightest setting you can manage with a large pair of Vise Grips, and lastly drill & Easy out ~ With PB Blaster.
Best of luck to you on this and a note on PB Blaster sparingly squirt some then a couple of whacks with a drift & hammer then leave it overnight. This method has worked great for me over the years.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #3 of 9 Old 05-13-2021, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
MikeB82

thanks for reply . You are correct in that I am sure there is a portion of a bolt sticking out of the block but the head is still attached to block and I can not remove the head is the issue nothing sticking out of the head to grab hold of. thanks

post #4 of 9 Old 05-13-2021, 07:38 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

iF the bolt broke off in the block. then then it should not matter. You should still be able to remove the head.
turbogus and pedal2themetai like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #5 of 9 Old 05-14-2021, 05:31 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
iF the bolt broke off in the block. then then it should not matter. You should still be able to remove the head.
X2
There are two hollow head indexing sleeves. These are counter sunk the head bolt holes and can "stick" the head to the block. Between them and an old gasket, sometimes the head simply won't come off.

Insure you have all the bolts out.
Insure the exhaust manifold is clear of the pipe.
Insure all bracketry is removed.
Insert a pry bar into one of the ports and use a couple of sharp upwards jerks on the head. This is usually enough to get the head moving.
Axhammer likes this.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #6 of 9 Old 05-14-2021, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
MikeB82

John I agree that makes sense. that is why I am confused. Mr. Jeepdaddy that explanation makes sense I will give it a try later today. I had tried with long screwdriver and steady pressure but nothing. So now I will try your method and see. Next, after that comes a love tap from a sledge hammer. Thanks, Mike
post #7 of 9 Old 05-14-2021, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
MikeB82

As Archimedes stated "give me a lever and I will move the "cylinder head" or something like that. Anyway, a real lever (i.e. crowbar) did the trick. thanks for the help. I can now move on.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-14-2021, 12:37 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
Mike! Make sure to use a piece of scrap 2x4 or other between the striking area and your sledgehammer!

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #9 of 9 Old 05-14-2021, 08:07 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI yeah... the bolts screw into the block NOT the head.. its just stuck real good If it well turn over I've heard of people using the motors compression with the plugs in to Pop off the head with all the bolts out.. Make sure all the bolts are out water pump and such
good luck
tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in