CJ7 disconnected hoses - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-14-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
bmh4142

1983 CJ7 

CJ7 disconnected hoses

I was poking around in the engine bay (258) and noticed a hose that wasn't connected to anything (#3) that came from the canister under the windshield washer fluid container. I found another broken hose (#1) that goes up to top/rear of the valve cover. I figured the two disconnected hoses went together until I found a third broken hose (#2) which goes up to the carb. I added the last picture to show the canister #3 goes to better. I have no idea what any of these hoses do or what the canister is...were they all connected to a 3 way splitter? I looked all over for a 4th broken hose but couldn't find anything in that area.

I got the cj almost a year ago and have a feeling these hoses have been like this since I got it. Can anyone shed some light? Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3284.jpg   IMG_3282.jpg   IMG_3281.jpg   IMG_3283.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-14-2019, 07:25 PM
jlkeener
1980 CJ5 

Yes, that's your charcoal canister. One line is the purge line, one went to carb bowl vent, one came from your liquid check valve near your gas tank, and one from spark port vacuum (ported vacuum)
post #3 of 21 Old 07-14-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
bmh4142

1983 CJ7 

So there should be a three way splitter and the 1, 2, and 3 hoses connect together? I can't seem to find a diagram anywhere online.

post #4 of 21 Old 07-14-2019, 08:08 PM
jlkeener
1980 CJ5 

No, each line goes to a separate place. Should be a diagram on this forum.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-14-2019, 08:10 PM
jlkeener
1980 CJ5 

Also, if you look closely at the top of your canister, it should tell you what each port on canister is.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-15-2019, 01:58 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

This would be a good site for you to bookmark and study:

https://gleebledorf.com/list.html

#1 is the fresh air intake to your PCV system. It normally connects to the air cleaner assembly. It is not part of the vapor canister system.

Matt
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 21 Old 07-15-2019, 02:42 AM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
This would be a good site for you to bookmark and study:

https://gleebledorf.com/list.html

#1 is the fresh air intake to your PCV system. It normally connects to the air cleaner assembly. It is not part of the vapor canister system.

Matt
If that diagram is a bit confusing to follow try this one. Might be a tad easier...
Attached Thumbnails
jackson-pollock-images.jpg  
bmh4142 likes this.

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-15-2019, 05:11 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

A lot of those would make sense if you had the right air cleaner housing also.

Now you are going to have to make some customization.

#2 should connect to #3

#1 needs an air filter of some sort to filter the air before it goes into your crankcase.

Not sure how many of those other hoses actually work anymore without the air cleaner attached.

post #9 of 21 Old 07-15-2019, 06:29 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Why would anyone remove the factory air cleaner assembly and replace it with that dinky little open breather? Just doesn't make sense.

OP, try to determine if your engine has been Nuttered. Google it, you will get more info than you need. If so, I have some simplified vacuum layouts that will help you.

Matt

post #10 of 21 Old 07-15-2019, 07:04 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If you can't find a CJ air cleaner housing look for an early YJ housing as they will be almost the same.

You would need the offset one that sits on the valve cover.

It's needed to clear the power brake booster.

post #11 of 21 Old 07-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
A lot of those would make sense if you had the right air cleaner housing also.

Now you are going to have to make some customization.

#2 should connect to #3

#1 needs an air filter of some sort to filter the air before it goes into your crankcase.

Not sure how many of those other hoses actually work anymore without the air cleaner attached.
This is correct. #1 originally went into the air cleaner housing to a filter. It is the crankcase breather, it does need to have a filter on the end or the PCV operation can cause it to suck dirt directly into the engne.. #2 and #3 are the bowl vent to the charcoal canister.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-15-2019, 07:02 PM
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Mine looks like this
post #13 of 21 Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
Mine looks like this
So, you have no PCV system?

Matt

post #14 of 21 Old 07-15-2019, 07:56 PM
seth13_1984
1977 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Why would anyone remove the factory air cleaner assembly and replace it with that dinky little open breather? Just doesn't make sense.

Matt

Curious, why is there an issue with that air cleaner? I believe Itís what mine has had on it since I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'77 CJ5 in SE Ohio
258 Straight 6
Carter YF Carb
Montani Semper Liberi
post #15 of 21 Old 07-15-2019, 08:16 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth13_1984 View Post
Curious, why is there an issue with that air cleaner? I believe It’s what mine has had on it since I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First things that come to mind,

1. Too small of filter area, plugs up faster.
2. No protection from water spray or mud. Will quickly destroy the filter material. Distort it so it leaks.
3. Really poor air flow path. No air filter housing should be flat going into the carb opening. A good housing will have a curved path going into the carb.
4. Design easily distorts housing leading to leak for dirt to pass.
5. No room for PCV fresh air intake.
6. Draws hot air from under the hood instead of fresh air from the grill.
7. Allows gas fumes to escape when engine is not running.
8. I doubt if that filter really keeps the dirt out as good as the stock air filter material.
9. No provision for drawing hot air in from manifold stove in the winter to prevent carb icing.
10. Noisier than the stock air cleaner housing.
Boojo35 and Matt1981CJ7 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in