CJ7 assembly help needed - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
BigRick55

CJ7 assembly help needed

New member here!

I hope someone can help me. I have a 1984 CJ-7. The drivetrain was removed a couple of years ago to get rebuilt. In the process of moving and whatever, all of the assembly bolts are missing. The engine is complete but I am looking for a list of bolts needed to reassemble the transmission, ect. along with the bolts to mount everything to the frame. Can anyone tell me where I can find a diagram or list of theses bolts?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Ouch, that could be a pain in the butt. At the very bottom left of this page are parts manuals that may have what you want:
About.com: http://www.cfsja.org/tech/tech.html

Someone in a thread recently was posting about places that sell kits for Jeeps in stainless bolts I think it was.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
post #3 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Fatman

2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRick55 View Post
New member here!

I hope someone can help me. I have a 1984 CJ-7. The drivetrain was removed a couple of years ago to get rebuilt. In the process of moving and whatever, all of the assembly bolts are missing. The engine is complete but I am looking for a list of bolts needed to reassemble the transmission, ect. along with the bolts to mount everything to the frame. Can anyone tell me where I can find a diagram or list of theses bolts?

Thanks.
Welcome,
First off what trany is it you're trying to "reassemble"? Do you have to reassemble or just mount it to the bell housing & transfer case? What motor?

If you're just looking to mount everything up, that's going to be easy to help. We just need to know what YOU'RE working with.
I just got through pulling my 258 out and have most of the bolts still sitting in the tray and half the parts sitting in the shop, so it'll be easy to measure for ya.

Thread Links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

And why is the 258 out? I thought you just put a tranny "in"....

cb

CertifiableJeep

'76 ORANGE

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #5 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Fatman

2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiablejeep View Post
And why is the 258 out? I thought you just put a tranny "in"....
cb
LOL, I did, I put the T18a "in", in anticipation of the SBC :
(I just dropped the 350 off at the machine shop yesterday)
Sold off the Howell, Borla, & 4.0 Head. The rest of the 4.2 parts are finding new homes as well.

Thread Links:

post #6 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
BigRick55

Thanks Guys, I have a 258 that has been modified with a GM HEI ignition system, 4 bbl intake with a Holly 390 CFM carb, and headers. The Tranny is a 5 speed (T-5 I think) and what I need is basically all the bolts that mount the bellhousing to the block, the tranny to the bellhousing, the motor mount and transmission mount bolts, ect. I can not find any mounting hardware. I may need brackets and mounts also. I haven't gotten that far yet.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
New member here!

Thanks.
You won't find any diagram that list bolts that I know of and the parts manual does not list sizes either, just quantity. I guess you forgot the all important task of bagging and tagging your hardware during disassemble or putting bolts back in their holes so you don't lose them and know where they go....

Ask for specific areas when you start to assemble and we can provide the size and what type of hardware is used for that piece you are putting back together. Don't jump around as that will confuse people so keep it simple and to the point. Example: What size bolts for the bell housing to engine block on a 258 with manual trans, etc. I have an 84 CJ-7 sitting right here in my workshop and still have full access to the drivetrain and know every piece of hardware that the Jeep came with from the factory so ask away.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #8 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Fatman

2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks Guys, I have a 258 that has been modified with a GM HEI ignition system, 4 bbl intake with a Holly 390 CFM carb, and headers. The Tranny is a 5 speed (T-5 I think) and what I need is basically all the:
  • bolts that mount the bellhousing to the block
  • the tranny to the bellhousing
  • the motor mount and transmission mount bolts
ect. I can not find any mounting hardware. I may need brackets and mounts also. I haven't gotten that far yet.
bell to block there are (8) with the shields
tranny to bell (4)
motor & tranny mounts

I'll measure these for ya tomorrow, they are still sitting on the bench as well as the bracket bolts.

Thread Links:

post #9 of 10 Old 02-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Fatman

2008 CJ7 

Here ya go:
bell to block there are (8) with the shields
(2) 7/16 -14 3" bolts
(4) 3/8 - 16 2 1/2" bolts
(2) 3/8 - 16 nuts
(2) 5/16 - 18 1" bolts

tranny to bell (4)
(4) 7/16 -14 1 1/2" bolts

motor & tranny mounts
(6) 3/8 - 16 1" mount to block
(4) 3/8 - 16 1 1/2" mount to rubber isolator
don't forget the ground strap washer

pressure plate
(6) 3/8 - 16 1"

flywheel
(6) 1/2 - 20 1"

Few pics for ya to digest:

Thread Links:

post #10 of 10 Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
BigRick55

Thanks FatMan, This should get me started. Now I'm getting scared about some of the things I'm reading about HEI ignition upgrades. I may have to dump what I have and upgrade to a DUI. This CJ7 is a project started about 4 years ago. Medical problems caused some delay and parts got misplaced. I just use this old jeep around my farm and it was giving me so many problems when I laid it up, I decided to rebuild the drivetrain and find a way to make it simple. Simple ignition, and a simple fuel system. That is why I decided on a small 4 bbl carb. I changed out several stock carbs before giving up. I am eliminating all the pollution controls, running headers with dual mufflers, and trying to make it SIMPLE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in