CJ7 with AMC 360 Muffler Choices - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-13-2020, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

CJ7 with AMC 360 Muffler Choices

My wifes 84 CJ7 is getting a stock AMC 360. She is pretty sensitive to sound and we are going to do 2.25 dual exhausts exiting out the back. Anyone have any experience with a good muffler that is mild in sound? We drive this jeep with top off and no doors.

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-13-2020, 07:39 AM
Fldvr

1974 CJ5 

Garage
Magnaflow Quiet series, Walker Quiet Flow are a couple worth looking into. FYI both companies make loud mufflers as well, be careful!
post #3 of 24 Old 08-13-2020, 08:06 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

If you aren't looking for any added "performance", then any stock style muffler will work, especially with duals. Have your muffler shop recommend one.
thumperjohn151 likes this.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

post #4 of 24 Old 08-13-2020, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

I will start researching your suggestions! I heard The Thrush Super Turbo was a good choice. Anyone have these?

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
post #5 of 24 Old 08-13-2020, 08:06 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
With exhaust out the back and a pair of turbo mufflers it will be fine.
Shawn Watson likes this.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #6 of 24 Old 08-14-2020, 06:02 AM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

If you're going to run duals inside the frame, a crossover goes a long way towards reducing sound. It'll pull quite a bit of snap out of even the snottiest of mufflers.

Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-14-2020, 06:26 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Watson View Post
If you're going to run duals inside the frame, a crossover goes a long way towards reducing sound. It'll pull quite a bit of snap out of even the snottiest of mufflers.

Shawn
Shawn how does that work and about how much is there to gain in doing that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-14-2020, 07:01 AM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
To be honest, I don't know why it works. Maybe sound waves traveling down the pipe get split up basically doubling muffler volume for dampening. I really don't know. I've personally experienced it several times and it's not, "yeah, I think I can tell"; it's ,"wow, that much?"

As for performance gains, it depends on how restrictive the mufflers are. As those uneven pulses travel down each pipe, if the muffler on that side stacks up as two cylinders hit it at once, the crossover allows any backpressure passage over to the other side but it's not a given that you'll notice much if you have decent mufflers for your hp.

As for sound reduction though, it seems to work 100% of the time.

Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
post #9 of 24 Old 08-14-2020, 02:46 PM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyDive View Post
.... we are going to do 2.25 dual exhausts exiting out the back...We drive this jeep with top off and no doors.
By out the back you mean out the side corner? If you mean straight back it will draw fumes into the passenger compartment.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-14-2020, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Side corner....the fumes are wicked and I won't have it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
post #11 of 24 Old 08-14-2020, 06:53 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Watson View Post
To be honest, I don't know why it works. Maybe sound waves traveling down the pipe get split up basically doubling muffler volume for dampening. I really don't know. I've personally experienced it several times and it's not, "yeah, I think I can tell"; it's ,"wow, that much?"

As for performance gains, it depends on how restrictive the mufflers are. As those uneven pulses travel down each pipe, if the muffler on that side stacks up as two cylinders hit it at once, the crossover allows any backpressure passage over to the other side but it's not a given that you'll notice much if you have decent mufflers for your hp.

As for sound reduction though, it seems to work 100% of the time.

Shawn
Thanks Shawn. Mine is a little louder than I wanted so this might be a good fix.
Shawn Watson likes this.

My build thread

post #12 of 24 Old 08-14-2020, 08:04 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Our American V8s are what we call unbalanced firing motors, but thats also what gives it the unique sound of a muscle V8. So the exhaust pulses are not traveling down the pipes in equal degrees from each other. So looking at the AMC 360 firing order you can see that the same bank sometimes fires twice in a rotation where as a lot of our Euro brothers design their engines to always fire opposite banks.

What happens is the exhaust pulses pressure builds up in one side more so than the other and it swaps back and forth. With two exhaust pulse pushing down the same line the noise cancellation of the muffler decreases. The cross over allows the second pulse of the unequal fire to shift to the exhaust side with the lower pressure allowing the muffler to do its job.

The location of the crossover/H pipe is never going to be perfect as the collision point changes with RPM, tube size and exhaust arrangement. What we used to do in the old days was run the vehicle to cruising RPM, then take some cheap spray paint and paint the pipes, where it bubbled the most was where it was having the collision and we put the crossover there. Today we can use an IR gun to do the same.
Attached Thumbnails
AMC_Firing_Order.jpg  
Shawn Watson and Jim1611 like this.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-15-2020, 07:11 AM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

Using bubbling paint to find standing waves for a crossover point is a really good idea but do you get any standing waves downstream of exhaust manifolds?

Shawn

post #14 of 24 Old 08-15-2020, 08:18 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryseals View Post
Our American V8s are what we call unbalanced firing motors, but thats also what gives it the unique sound of a muscle V8. So the exhaust pulses are not traveling down the pipes in equal degrees from each other. So looking at the AMC 360 firing order you can see that the same bank sometimes fires twice in a rotation where as a lot of our Euro brothers design their engines to always fire opposite banks.

What happens is the exhaust pulses pressure builds up in one side more so than the other and it swaps back and forth. With two exhaust pulse pushing down the same line the noise cancellation of the muffler decreases. The cross over allows the second pulse of the unequal fire to shift to the exhaust side with the lower pressure allowing the muffler to do its job.

The location of the crossover/H pipe is never going to be perfect as the collision point changes with RPM, tube size and exhaust arrangement. What we used to do in the old days was run the vehicle to cruising RPM, then take some cheap spray paint and paint the pipes, where it bubbled the most was where it was having the collision and we put the crossover there. Today we can use an IR gun to do the same.
I learn something new every day, thanks!

My build thread

post #15 of 24 Old 08-15-2020, 08:47 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
I learn something new every day, thanks!
Thatís why the 4/7 3/2 swap is popular with engine builders. There is power to be had by changing the firing order, among other benefits. Ford used it on the 351, so itís not like itís a new idea.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in