CJ5 YJ springs (with a twist) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
CowboyJeeper

CJ5 YJ springs (with a twist)

No the twist is hopefully not axle wrap...

I'm thinking of putting YJ springs on my CJ5. But I'm thinking on moving the mounts back to lengthen wheelbase 2" is most I can do it appears without stretching frame. Anyone see problems with doing that and possibly ordering alcan springs that are offset to give a full 4" of wheelbase extension?

I THINK I can fit that extension under. TJ flare and still give it a stock look to the unfamiliar eye. Thoughts???

I've had this Jeep 25+ years. First vehicle I ever purchased. So telling me to get a longer one really isn't an option. I like the old CJ5

Edit current plan (give me your thoughts) 1980 CJ5:
YJ springs (or something similar made by alcan) ~3" lift
axle moved back 2" by relocating spring brackets (new TDK frame for strength)
35" tires
Dana 44 front & rear (high pinion)
stroker 4.6

I've got another 2 months before I start purchasing any parts... this is a pre-build get ideas thread. Kinda want to keep away from the comp cut look but still extend my wheelbase a bit, any suggestions welcome!

Last edited by CowboyJeeper; 03-09-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-08-2019, 11:41 AM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

What size tires? What year '5?

Moving the rear axle 4" back will be very noticeable and I don't see it happening without a good bit of cutting. Also, if it has a rear mounted gas tank, you need to make sure you aren't going to be hitting that.

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal
post #3 of 5 Old 03-08-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
CowboyJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
What size tires? What year '5?

Moving the rear axle 4" back will be very noticeable and I don't see it happening without a good bit of cutting. Also, if it has a rear mounted gas tank, you need to make sure you aren't going to be hitting that.
1980 CJ5

I've got a plan for the gas tank already... if that plan doesn't work, I've got a backup plan... use the genright tank that built for such a axle move. I may go genright just to make it easier to connect up my fuel injection. I believe it can take a newer sending unit with a built in pump.

I know I can move the axle back 6" and still keep the body curve (very very tight there though) and yes the tank is a HUGE problem then. I have to measure out a TJ flare to see if it will cover the opening completely that I will have to cut... eyeballing the size difference of the flare size it looks like it will work for a 4" move. I know it will easily handle a 2" move... 4" might be pushing it but when I get the flares I'll take a tape to it and figure out for sure how much between those measurements it can go.

I'm split on tire size... eventually I want to replace the axles with something in the 60" width range. Not sure on 35" or 33" tires but leaning to 35s since I'll swap the axles for a bit beefier diff as well as width.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 PM
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyJeeper View Post
I have to measure out a TJ flare to see if it will cover the opening completely that I will have to cut... eyeballing the size difference of the flare size it looks like it will work for a 4" move. I know it will easily handle a 2" move...
I think your eyeballing needs some calibration. My rear tires (33s) rubbed the stock sheetmetal opening with 3" of lift and the rear axle in the stock location. With TJ flares there was about 1.5" of clearance. I'll bet you're not taking into account that as the spring compresses the rear axle moves rearward.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-11-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
CowboyJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
I think your eyeballing needs some calibration. My rear tires (33s) rubbed the stock sheetmetal opening with 3" of lift and the rear axle in the stock location. With TJ flares there was about 1.5" of clearance. I'll bet you're not taking into account that as the spring compresses the rear axle moves rearward.
Unfortunately I don't know exactly how much lift I have. My jeep was purchase +25 years ago with the current lift installed and the kid I bought it from was second owner and barely knew how to spell Jeep. I think it has between 3-4" lift and I'm running 33s with no rub. Right now sitting my tires are dead center in the stock CJ opening.

I did think about the fact that they move back... but to be honest I don't know how much they move. I do realize the taller the spring the further back they'll move too.

Looks like I should consider just moving back the 2" to start with. The extra 2" was gonna come from custom springs anyway and I can do that later if I want. The first 2" will be MUCH easier to deal with than the last two... that I do agree with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in