CJ5 won't start, turned into rebuild project pic heavy. - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 01-23-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
davidt443

Garage
CJ5 won't start, turned into rebuild project pic heavy.

Alright guys, what once was a (somewhat) running 1977 CJ5 with the 304 V8 has turned into a bigger project than anticipated, but I am learning a lot not only by my own research but a lot of you guys as well. I posted a thread a few weeks ago with an issue of my jeep not wanting to start after changing plugs, plug wires, sparkplugs, cleaning carb, new fuel filter, setting point gap and timing with no avail. A member here by the name of Fred was gracious enough to give me his number so we can discuss whats going on. A 2 hour Facetime call later it was very apparent that my engine bay wiring system is fairly shot. He also swayed me into an HEI system to make life easier (I know some of you love points for simplicity purposes). So after I ordered the CRT HEI it got me thinking, If I am ordering this fancy, shiny HEI I really need to clean and tidy up my wiring and basically start fresh. Which is why I am starting this project thread, to document the progress and maybe help out the next guy. This community has been great to me so I figure this is the least I can do.

MY goal for this project is a minimalist approach. I don't want stray wires hanging out everywhere I just want it to be "clean" Like a hot rod when you open the hood and all you see is a nice engine.

By all means this is not a frame off restoration, this is a project to clean everything up and make this a fun project. Lets get started.

So, here is the starting point. Typical previous owner hack job. Wiring is an absolute mess. That will be cleaned up

Here you can see the point where I decided it was time to do this project. This is absolutely horrid.

I started removing everything from the engine compartment. I then stripped the paint off of the firewall and fenders. I used a wire wheel.

Some crappy wiring.

Hood removed for paint.

Yay primer.

I decided to go with black. I like it, contrast well and hides some imperfections. Engine has yet to be cleaned up. Those are wrapped headers btw.

Now that the repainting process is done let us move onto the dash.

Removing steering wheel.

This is broke. have to fix it.

Here is what my dash looks like. Looks like a pile of dog feces right? Let's change that.

And dash removed. Holy smokes!

And the beast is fully removed. This will be basically rebuilt and wire loomed to perfection.

Now for some shiny parts that have come in the mail and are awaiting there installation.

I have a delco alternator and ordered a MAD alternator wiring kit. This kit is superb quality. Also CRT HEI. Also in the pic is positive and negative insulated terminal blocks. You know it is serious when I want to go that far and have the wiring perfect and professional.

Hella headlight relay kit.

And drumroll please...... Some of you will hate me for this. Im not going for orignal. I just want it to work. Some Gauges!

Also, I'll be able to outrun all of you since I can now go 160mph. (LOL)

Kit came with a fully adjustable sending unit.

New battery tray.

And finally today, local shop was able to cut and bend some 16 gauge steel so I can make a new dash!! Some may wonder why I am not using old dash. Well the previous owner cut 2 big speaker holes in it plus I am going with the six pack of gauges.

I plan on painting the dash with etching primer and have satin black 3m vinyl wrap and will wrap it to make it have some depth (maybe idk) Thats where I am at. I plan on cutting the holes for the gauges tomorrow in the new dash. Also I am not reinstalling the old heater box.. costs too much to repair so ill be going with an aftermarket unit. That's for another day. Expect updates frequently.

young, STJP, Rsb201 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-23-2019, 11:37 PM
young

Very cool!
I'm in the middle of a frame off restoration myself. I have a custom dash as well. 7 Autometer gages, a Tuffy lockable glove box, etc. Here's a couple of pictures of it. I'm interested in how you put your dash together. I'll be following your project for inspiration and ideas.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
00b0b_ldujSQCL4HJ_1200x900.jpg   00D0D_a9cLJss0rCc_1200x900.jpg  
post #3 of 30 Old 01-24-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
davidt443

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by young View Post
Very cool!
I'm in the middle of a frame off restoration myself. I have a custom dash as well. 7 Autometer gages, a Tuffy lockable glove box, etc. Here's a couple of pictures of it. I'm interested in how you put your dash together. I'll be following your project for inspiration and ideas.

Good luck!
Wow that looks sweet! Couple questions for you. What are those three LED lights for? Where did you get those mounting screws for the dash panel? Also that steering wheel is sweet, dare I ask how much and where you bought it?

post #4 of 30 Old 01-24-2019, 08:37 AM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

Looks good. I agree, that dash had to go!
post #5 of 30 Old 01-24-2019, 10:06 AM
young

The red LED is the check engine light, orange is for the blinkers and blue is high beam. The mounting screws are available from Fastenall, I like the stainless steel look. The steering wheel is apparently a vintage Grant wheel. I got it from the guy I bought the jeep from in California. He had also purchased the stainless steel steering column from Flaming River. None of my gauges are wired yet. I have a Painless harness I'm going to use. There are a few circuits not included in the Painless that I'm going to have to wing like the electronic speedometer.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-24-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
davidt443

Garage
Got some work done today!

My main goal was to get the steering column hole cut and the gauge holes cut.

Everything laid out

First step, I masked the new dash panel

Made a template and precisely measured the hole.

This took the longest time. Getting precise measurements for where the gauges will go.

Heres the beast used to cut the big holes

Big holes cut!, i was nervous.

All the holes cut

And Voila. I think it came out great. The placement is the best i could come up with for 6 gauges.

This came out better than I expected. My plan is to place a CJ5 logo on the bottom middle. If it looks too busy there then it will get installed on the far right corner.

Next on the list, I need to order some fancy switches for my horn and off road light switch. Need to order blinker indicator lights, high beam indicator light, and once all that comes in i can finalize where all the switches go.

I also ordered a 6 gate accessory fuse box for my offroad lights and whatever the future holds.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-25-2019, 05:16 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I like it!

I assume you are not going to run a heater in this jeep then?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #8 of 30 Old 01-25-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
davidt443

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I like it!

I assume you are not going to run a heater in this jeep then?
I plan on running an aftermarket heater. I plan on installing that next winter.
post #9 of 30 Old 01-25-2019, 11:49 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt443 View Post
I plan on running an aftermarket heater. I plan on installing that next winter.
You should install it next fall so you have it for winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #10 of 30 Old 01-25-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
davidt443

Garage
More parts arrived in the mail today. Morris4x4 sent me the fan indicator light instead of a lights indicator... oh well ordered from ebay we will see if they get it right. Black aluminum knobs came in, for the price they are great.

post #11 of 30 Old 01-25-2019, 05:20 PM
CSP

What's the check engine light for? EFI in your CJs future?
post #12 of 30 Old 01-25-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
davidt443

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
What's the check engine light for? EFI in your CJs future?
I'm not sure if you are asking me that, but I am not running a check engine light.
post #13 of 30 Old 01-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Hotrodssnova

1981 CJ5 

The stock heater should fit just fine. The stock defroster ducting with that gauge setup will not.
post #14 of 30 Old 01-28-2019, 10:52 AM
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt443 View Post
I'm not sure if you are asking me that, but I am not running a check engine light.

My mistake, I confused someone else's dash for yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by young View Post
The red LED is the check engine light
post #15 of 30 Old 01-29-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
davidt443

Garage
Update!

Received a bunch more parts in the mail. Work has been super busy for me lately. Being a pilot, sometimes you are busy, sometimes i have weeks of nothing. Got the dash holes almost done!

Here I am aligning everything by eye. I want the switches to be somewhat in line with the gauges.

After many minutes of deciding where these shall go I finally put pen to tape.

Drilling holes. I hate doing this part. One screw up and it can be costly.

It fits!. NOW this is NOT where the fan switch is going, i got sent the wrong one and this is my test dummy. Lights and windshield wipers are going here.

Fast forward to where the 2 rocker switches holes have been cut out and the blinkers, hazard, and brights indicator lights holes have been drilled.

I ordered this $200 22 circuit wiring harness from amazon. It is a speedway brand harness. It is GM and all of the plugs will be a direct plug and play on the Jeep. The quality is OUTSTANDING for the price. MY favorite part is all the wiring is labeled every 6 inches. GREAT diagrams and came with headlight switch and brights switch. Worth the $200.

This is the material I will be using to wrap the dash with. I will be etch priming the steel don't worry. I want to give the dash a subtle pop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in