JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   CJ5 vs. CJ7 (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj5-vs-cj7-382871/)

yj_ryn 03-03-2007 12:20 PM

CJ5 vs. CJ7

I am not trying to earn the "dumbest tech question" contest, I just had a few questions.

I sell auto / home / life insurance through out Texas, but my office is in San Antonio. I have over the last two weeks built up a pretty good relationship with a local transmission shop. I have written the owner's and management on all their home and autos.

Anyways, the owner's son goes to the auctions alot and I mentioned that I was looking for an older jeep for a weekend vehicle. He stated he had a CJ-5 that needed some works but he might sell it to me for $1500. I believe it is in the mid-70's like a 75 or 76. He said he did not like it because he is too tall (he is 6'2").

He said since I was about 6 ft that I would probably like a CJ-7 better and he would keep his eye out for me when he goes to the auctions.

So, I am just wondering what is the big / major differences between the two?
What year range should I be looking for?
Any features I should look for as well?

Thanks in advance for your time.

whit450 03-03-2007 01:06 PM

Checkout jeeptech.com, just about everything you need to know is on that site. Main difference is the 7 has a longer wheel base, so you get a little more leg room than a 5.

yj_ryn 03-03-2007 01:27 PM

Thanks whit450. I will check it out and I appreciate it.

Mr.Crowley 03-03-2007 02:04 PM

if you come across a 5 that you can live without,you can chop the drivers side rear wheel well to give you some more legroom..

CJATE 03-03-2007 02:28 PM

I have had both, at 65 I did not like the 5, just did not seem to be enough room between seat and fire wall, and did not seem to be enough room between seat and wheel well to relocate seat. I also managed to hit my tail bone on the hump in the door frame ever time I got in and out... if it did not hurt, it got my paints dirty,,, no good on the way to work..

but it was more fun to drive.

yj_ryn 03-03-2007 02:53 PM

I guess I am looking for quality for cheap. Since he goes to auctions he knows alot of guys who will sell him vehicles on the cheap with minor problems. It would be a project either way.

GPER 03-03-2007 03:01 PM

My first car was a CJ-5 then I saved enough money to buy a new one and the salesman said the CJ-7 is 10 inches longer than the 5. Since I'm 6'2" he thought I would like a 7 better and I have had it for 28 years now.

I didn't notice any problems fitting in the 5, but it was my first Jeep at 16 and who cares about stuff like that.:rofl:

Bulldog Dave 03-03-2007 06:26 PM

The CJ-7 has much more leg room in it. First year for the CJ-7 is 1976.

Also note that the CJ-5 transition year was 1976. 1955-1971 were similar in the body area. 1972 they stretched the front 3 inches for the 6 cylinder engine. In 1976, they changed everything except the wheel base. 1975 and older will be more difficult to find parts/accesories for.

Bard 03-03-2007 06:41 PM

I prefer the 7's, but if you can get a really good deal on a 5, it will bring you in the Jeep world and then you can decide. It isn't a DD for you, so go for it. Great place to learn. My first was a 5 and it was, great 3 speed and I can still smell the over rich exhaust, lol.

If a 5 is in good shape, you can get the kinks out and turn it for a few if you want to get a 7.

Do yourself a favor and do a test drive in both, see what you like :2thumbsup:

yj_ryn 03-03-2007 06:41 PM

Looks like I am looking for a CJ-7 then. Thanks guys.

Fropleyqk 03-03-2007 10:38 PM

Wow, looks like there are quite a few -7 fans. Personally, I like the 5 better. I've owned 2 now in addition to a 01 Wrangler. Honestly, I can;t tell you exactly why I like the 5s better. It's a whole bunch of little stuff from looks to coolness (:rofl: ). But don't discount a 5 too soon. Height is a factor but there are plenty of bigger guys driving them.

high51977 03-03-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fropleyquark
Wow, looks like there are quite a few -7 fans. Personally, I like the 5 better. I've owned 2 now in addition to a 01 Wrangler. Honestly, I can;t tell you exactly why I like the 5s better. It's a whole bunch of little stuff from looks to coolness (:rofl: ). But don't discount a 5 too soon. Height is a factor but there are plenty of bigger guys driving them.

:agree: the 5 looks alot cooler :D at 5'11" I never had a problem with my '57 cj5 and my 77 is just a little bit bigger than that so I don't see the size being a problem. Besides, in my buddies 5 with the seat all the way back the pedals are hard to reach confortably for me

BESRK 03-03-2007 11:01 PM

I'm 6'1" and about 260lbs and drive a CJ5.. love it. I've got the whole "sit on the hump and swing legs in/out" move down pretty good. I like CJ7s too and used to own one. There's just something about a shorter CJ5 that makes it more unique than the longer wheelbase of the CJ7... YJ... and TJ. That's just my humble opinion though. They're both awesome vehicles! :thumbsup:

John Strenk 03-04-2007 05:48 AM

603 Attachment(s)
At 5'15" I fit fine in CJ5 but there are a lot more options if you run a CJ7.
I got so use to the 'Hump" in the door opening that I fell out of a CJ7. :)
(it was stopped so no worries!)

GPER 03-04-2007 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Strenk
At 5'15" I fit fine in CJ5 but there are a lot more options if you run a CJ7.
I got so use to the 'Hump" in the door opening that I fell out of a CJ7. :)
(it was stopped so no worries!)

I did the same thing when I got home from the dealer with my 7:laugh:

The time now is 11:31 AM.