Cj5 tub repair advice needed. New tub? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-18-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Back_In_Black

1977 CJ5 

Cj5 tub repair advice needed. New tub?

I’ve started stripping down my 77 cj5 and found horrible rust and bondo work on the rear “tailgate” area and started cutting everything out to see how bad the damage was. I ended up being able to flake off massive flakes of bondo and fiberglass and could easily put my hand through the holes I found.

I snapped some pics of where I’m at with it at the moment. Any advice on how to proceed? I can do most of the fabrication myself but could use some suggestions. Is it worth a new tub at this point or is this one worth the effort? The rest of the tub is fairly reasonable. Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails
F15BAC34-3670-4A89-86B4-6B435EFCAC30.jpg   67DFA4D4-F485-43CB-8FF9-282BDC7BB418.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-18-2018, 03:03 PM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

You'd be way ahead with a new tub, that's for sure.

You are only seeing the tip of the iceberg as far as rust goes. There's a lot more you will find and some tubs are just not worth the trouble to deal with when it would be much easier to start with fresh sheet metal.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #3 of 7 Old 02-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'm afraid that CJ tub is ready for the scrapyard. As Keith said, you've just scratched the surface of what you'll ultimately find.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-18-2018, 04:59 PM
acgcoug

1979 CJ5 

Garage
First off, what are your plans with the Jeep? Are you doing a full on restoration to make it a fancy trail rig, or a trail rig where you don't care what it looks like, a show Jeep, a cruise around town Jeep, or a light wheeling Jeep? These factors and your budget/time dictate where you want to go with that tub IMO.

Regardless, that tub does look pretty darn grim.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2018, 09:56 AM
CSP

I've sent nicer tubs to the scrapyard.

However, if you do scrap it wait until you have a replacement tub. There may be areas on the replacement tub that need work and the existing tub may have those areas intact to be viable for use on the new one. Wow, that sentence borders on a run on.

Recently had to do repairs to a tub from scratch and I know that a tub which was scrapped had a usable section that could have been used.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

And this my friends is why you don't buy Jeeps that are painted with bed liner... You will have more time and money into that tub than what it is worth when you get done. Buy a repop and be done with it and enjoy it before you get fed up with body work and sell it as a project at a loss.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #7 of 7 Old 02-20-2018, 10:08 AM
jeepmutiny
1983 CJ7 

That’s about where I said when on my 7, decided a replacement was in order.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in