CJ5 tailgate question - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 02-12-2020, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

CJ5 tailgate question

Hi all... I posted this question on my build thread but thought I would post here as well as I may garner a wider audience.

I've just installed the tailgate on my CJ5. (As most of you know, the tailgates on the CJ5 and CJ7 are completely different.) Everything went well until I opened the tailgate and attempted to hook the chains to the end of the tailgate to hold it open in a roughly horizontal position and realized I did not know how the hooks were suppose to be positioned to hold the tailgate open without scratching or otherwise damaging the tailgate itself.

So, if anyone out there has a picture (or can take a picture) of how Jeep intended the hooks to be placed on an open tailgate, please post them here for me.

Much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Bob

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I thought I was wrong once... but I was mistaken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 02-12-2020, 09:00 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

All I can offer is I've had the exact same problem except my tailgate isn't painted yet so no harm no foul, but the hook on the driver side did deform the sheet-metal. I've found the hooks only fit two different ways and neither is great. One is better than the other but still isn't right. Useless info I know, but at least you know you are not alone haha.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 Old 02-12-2020, 01:54 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Here is how they should be hooked. Make sure that you have the correct hook on the correct side as they should be bent differently.
Attached Thumbnails
Tailgate chain hookup.jpg  
MrButterfield likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

post #4 of 41 Old 02-13-2020, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Here is how they should be hooked. Make sure that you have the correct hook on the correct side as they should be bent differently.

Thanks Fourtrail... I've seen that image on a general search of the internet but was not sure if that was correct. Still looks like it could do some (minor) damage and scratching of the tailgate though. You would have thought that Jeep would have come up with a better solution to hold up your tailgate! I'll give it a try... the hooks I have do have a left and right bend to them, but not the sharp end as shown.

BTW, is that your Jeep or just a picture you found? Just curious.

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:

post #5 of 41 Old 02-13-2020, 10:30 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
Thanks Fourtrail... I've seen that image on a general search of the internet but was not sure if that was correct. Still looks like it could do some (minor) damage and scratching of the tailgate though. You would have thought that Jeep would have come up with a better solution to hold up your tailgate! I'll give it a try... the hooks I have do have a left and right bend to them, but not the sharp end as shown.

BTW, is that your Jeep or just a picture you found? Just curious.

That is an image from earlycj-5.com. My CJ-5 that has a tailgate is in storage at my parents and I found that image before I had a chance to drive over and try to take a picture. My '6 has the same tailgate, but it is bolted closed as I don't have any chains for it yet.

When the tailgate was designed it was a utilitarian feature and I doubt that the Willy engineers were worried about a scratch or two.

post #6 of 41 Old 02-13-2020, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
When the tailgate was designed it was a utilitarian feature and I doubt that the Willy engineers were worried about a scratch or two.
You're absolutely right... it's my cross to bear to try to keep lipstick on this pig.

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:

post #7 of 41 Old 02-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Tinker0000
1984 CJ7 

You could find some of that clear vinyl manufacturers usually apply over the paint near wheel wells or along the front edge of the grill to prevent rock dings. Since it's clear, unless you were looking for it, then it would blend in. I think 3M makes it.
post #8 of 41 Old 02-13-2020, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker0000 View Post
You could find some of that clear vinyl manufacturers usually apply over the paint near wheel wells or along the front edge of the grill to prevent rock dings. Since it's clear, unless you were looking for it, then it would blend in. I think 3M makes it.
That's a good idea... I actually thought about getting some of that stuff to put between the tailgate and where it contacts the tailgate frame too. I've used it before... I got it off of eBay and think it was 3M. I don't have any at this time... I'll look to see where the hooks may contact the paint and see how much I may need to order.
John Strenk and Tinker0000 like this.

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:

post #9 of 41 Old 02-13-2020, 04:55 PM
MrButterfield

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Im glad this question was asked. I never really thought about it before, and I certainly wasn't using the hooks right. I immediately went out to the garage and had my mind blown. Now the tailgate sits perfectly level and the majority of the load is put closer in to the tailgate. Thanks a bunch!
post #10 of 41 Old 02-14-2020, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

Well I'll be dang... it works... but it certainly was not intuitive as to how to hook those chains... Jeep should have provided a picture in the owner's manual. I've got to remove a link (hard to see in the picture) and put on the chain covers, but that's how its done. The hook is not perfectly in line with the chain when open, but no more than I'll actually use the tailgate, that's no big deal and the tailgate is level when open. As far as the paint goes, there is not enough area affected by the hook to worry about. I'm building this Jeep to drive, so a few minor scratches should not bother me that much (I hope)... but as I said, the tailgate will not get used that often and I'll certainly never put any significant weight on it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0499 20.jpg   IMG_0500 20.jpg  
John Strenk and Fourtrail like this.

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:

post #11 of 41 Old 02-14-2020, 06:49 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Dang, I miss having a fold down seat on my CJ5 like that...

Always wanted to get that 'extended bed' for that also...
Tinker0000 likes this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #12 of 41 Old 02-14-2020, 07:48 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Probably don't need to remove a full link, just replace the threaded link with the correct light bend close link. You may need to bend a bit on the hook to get it to fit correctly, we all know how close aftermarket parts come to the originals..

If you do plan to ever sit on the tailgate, best to put a solid rod or piece of pipe through the looped end as it will bend down in the middle.

post #13 of 41 Old 02-14-2020, 08:34 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
If you do plan to ever sit on the tailgate, best to put a solid rod or piece of pipe through the looped end as it will bend down in the middle.
True story.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
post #14 of 41 Old 02-14-2020, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Probably don't need to remove a full link, just replace the threaded link with the correct light bend close link. You may need to bend a bit on the hook to get it to fit correctly, we all know how close aftermarket parts come to the originals..

The top picture is with the threaded link attached to the "second" link in the chain and works out perfect... just need to cut that extra link off. Yeah, I may try to do a little bending on the hooks to see if I can get them to line up better with the chain. And no worries about the tailgate... I'll keep my fat a$$ off of it... I'll just have to sit somewhere else.

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:

post #15 of 41 Old 02-14-2020, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

Oh, BTW about cutting the chain... the chain was originally for a early model Chevrolet so I anticipated having to cut some of it off as the tailgate for a Chevrolet truck is taller than a CJ5 tailgate.

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in