CJ5 no tailgate spare tire mount - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hurricane4

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
cbh45

CJ5 no tailgate spare tire mount

Hi all, I have a new to me '79 CJ5 with a swing out spare tire/jerry can carrier and no tailgate. I took the swing out carrier off because I don't like how far the spare hangs out with it on, and since I don't really need a swing out tire carrier without a tailgate, I've been looking into mounting options for mounting the spare directly to the tub. I'll probably hang onto the jerry cans/carrier for future trips, but right now would rather have just a spare back there.

Has anyone else done something similar? What did you use? Most everything I've seen has a normal swing out tire carrier that either mounts to the tub (like mine) or to the rear bumper. The bumper that's on mine now is pretty solid (doesn't have tow hooks or d-rings though) so I figured I'd explore options before just buying a tire carrier bumper. I've seen the side mounts used for older CJs, but don't think they would extend far enough out for the bigger tire.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3126.jpg   IMG_3405.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 12:36 AM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

There are other manufacturers of Jeep CJ rear bumper/spare tire carrier combinations where the spare sits much closer
to the Jeep body. Maybe you could modify your existing carrier to move the spare closer to the Jeep body.

I wouldn't recommend mounting a spare tire carrier to the rear panel, especially if you are running larger than stock tires.

The weight of a 31X10.50 tire with a 15X8 steel wheel with the factory carrier will place a strain on the rear steel panel and
cause an " oil canning " effect eventually cracking the metal. Here are a couple bumper/tire carrier combos for comparison:

https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-...r-tire-carrier

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-2001-c.htm
Submariner likes this.

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 02:18 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

CJ5/6 could have it mounted on a bracket direct to the tailgate or on the side of the tub. The later Wrangler had it bolted to the rear door.

I share Hurricane's concern that the rear panel be strong enough to hold it but I would bolt through and add a metal bar behind from top to bottom. The Wrangler spare wheel bracket cannot be very expensive off eBay and it is a flat faced 4 bolt job. If you sandwich the panel and spread the stress it will work up to a level.

My Willys has it bolted through the tailgate, 70 years and no signs of cracking. The jerrycan is bolted to the back, Jeep used to sell a 5 gallon can for severe duty overseas market jeeps but you can get them from the hardware shop. I would offset the spare if I was starting from scratch.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030369.jpg  
Attached Images

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

post #4 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 02:34 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

You can always install a factory spare tire carrier that the rear panel was designed for and are available often on eBay. But backing plates on the inside of the rear panel are almost always a must on any size tire larger than stock.

Ebay has several for sale and one can be seen here with detailed pictures: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cj5-76...sAAOSw6ahezVsE

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #5 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 07:31 AM
Submariner

1976 CJ5 

Garage
you could always add a tailgate to your 5.

Submariner and you wonder why I am this way LOL
post #6 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 09:44 AM
rbunch4468
1983 CJ5 

Mine is bolted with two hot dipped galv carriage bolts through the rear fixed body support. No tailgate on mine either. I know a backing plate would be 'proper', but this has been this way for 20 years... The spare is a 31x10.5.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3236.jpg   IMG_3237.jpg  
post #7 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 10:45 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

After a couple of oops with a side mounted spare I moved the bracket to the tailgate. It was pretty warped anyway so I opted for function instead of fashion. Normal flat washers are the only reinforcements used. I did use a 3/8" eyebolt and nut for anchor point for a security chain. Wheel is a 8X15 and tire is a 31--dang heavy to lift on the mount unless I use a tire tool under it on my receiver hitch. After almost 4 years It shows no evidence of failing.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiremnt1.jpg   Tiremnt2.jpg  

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #8 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 12:28 PM
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

I dont have a picture handy, but I got a generic trailer "spare tire" carrier. You can find them everywhere (ie walmart, parts places). I found a beefy one ($20), and bolted it to a piece of heavy steel, which I then welded to the rear bumper. That was about 10 years ago, and its still holding the 31" tire just fine.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
cbh45

Thanks all for the suggestions! I'll post in here when I get around to installing the spare. Sounds like it might not be absolutely necessary, but if I go with mounting the spare directly to the tub I'll definitely add a backing plate to help keep from bending up/cracking the body.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in