CJ5 Clutch linkage release rod falling out - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jp360cj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-30-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
southernfool

1979 CJ5 

CJ5 Clutch linkage release rod falling out

A couple weeks ago I had an interesting experience on my way to work. While shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear I pressed on the clutch and it popped and went straight to the floor. I was still in 2nd gear and limped/coasted into a nearby parking lot. Eventually I determined that my release rod was missing and had fallen off. I retraced my steps and found it sitting in the middle of the road 1/4 mile away.

I put it back in place and it seemed to work fine, until a couple days later the same thing happened at a busy intersection. I've grown tired of scooting under my CJ in dress clothes to put the release rod back in, so I'm looking for advice on fixing or replacing it. I think this started happening for two reasons: First, the end of the release rod is very loose/old and bored out. Second, I had my motor/trans mounts replaced three weeks ago which probably shifted my engine back into a place it hadn't been for many years. This seems to have put more stress on the clutch linkage or is at least pulling it in directions that the old design isn't good at holding. During this process I also discovered that my protective boot that goes over the throwout lever has crumbled away, and that I'm missing the bushing that goes in between the release rod adapter and the throwout lever.

So here are my questions:
  1. Is this just as simple as buying a replacement release rod (Omix Ada or Crown)?
  2. I haven't been able to find a replacement bushing that (according to my manual) goes between the release rod adapter and the throwout lever. Is this critical? For those of you with working clutch linkages, what does it look like and what does it do?
  3. Same goes for the throwout lever protective boot. Can't seem to find one that reviewers say actually fits a 79 CJ5. Any good ideas on substitutes?
  4. My return spring seems to be snaking around the release rod in a less-than-optimal way. Does it normally touch the rod and wrap around it?

Attached Thumbnails
Clutch Linkage.jpg   Linkage 1.jpg   Linkage 2.jpg   Missing Boot.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-30-2018, 08:49 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I would get a linkage with heim joints. You don't have to worry about wear.

Out of all the CJ's I worked on, I only found one with the "Adapter" still in place.
I bet there are thousands of CJ running without one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 8 Old 07-31-2018, 07:01 AM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

I second the heim joint linkage. I did it a few month ago and it gives a much more positive feel. Plus, I've gone through 3 clutch release rods in 15 years. While it's out, I would also replace the bushings/clips/boots on the bellcrank.

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal

post #4 of 8 Old 07-31-2018, 07:05 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

The rubber boot can be bought just about anywhere but be warned, they are a Crown Auto part and ALL of their rubber products ain't worth a damn. It will deteriorate within 6 months and fall apart.

The little rubber snubber at the end of the rod is to prevent noise and acts as a cushion. I made one from a piece of rubber hosing and greased it before installing.

Most CJ's did not have a bushing for the Release Rod since AMC/Jeep was on the cheap. You can adapt a flange bushing for the rod or simply use Rod End bearings (Heim Joints) or both. Either way you choose, they will last almost forever.

Can't really see how your spring return is attached but it should be be mounted to Bell Housing and Throwout Lever.
Attached Thumbnails
ClutchFork (5).jpg   ClutchFork (4).jpg  

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #5 of 8 Old 07-31-2018, 08:36 AM
breceski
1977 CJ5 

Heim Joints

Hey guys what size heim joint fits the stock clutch rod? That looks like an easy upgrade to keep that clutch rod in place. A definite on my do list. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 07-31-2018, 09:25 AM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breceski View Post
Hey guys what size heim joint fits the stock clutch rod? That looks like an easy upgrade to keep that clutch rod in place. A definite on my do list. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Thanks
I'm not sure exactly. I used the kit from Rugged Ridge that replaced the the rod from the peddle to the bellcrank with a new heim joint rod too.
KevinCJ7Jeep likes this.

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal
post #7 of 8 Old 08-04-2018, 05:12 PM
KevinCJ7Jeep
1981 CJ7 

Thanks for mentioning the Rugged Ridge kit! I ordered one and just got it in the mail today. The rod was too long as I have seen mentioned. I found it I got another male rod end to replace the longer female rod end I could make it work without cutting and welding the rod.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-05-2018, 07:10 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breceski View Post
Hey guys what size heim joint fits the stock clutch rod?

Thanks

If I remember correctly, it's 3/8-24 fine thread.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

Tags
cj5 , clutch linkage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in