CJ5 or CJ7? VIN Tub switch? Assistance plz - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 09-26-2021, 09:25 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

If you were to go through a traffic check in this area and encounter a certain Trooper you'd go to jail and he'd impound your Jeep when he saw your registration. The same would happen if my fellow Jeep club member Drew who is also a Deputy. Don't assume that just because the paperwork is correct that there aren't LEOs who don't know the difference between a CJ5 and a CJ7.

Buying a wrecked car at an insurance auction and then have someone steal an identical car and putting the VIN on the stolen car is how folks legally sell stolen cars.

JoonHoss likes this.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 09-26-2021, 10:33 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheair View Post
Is that an “old Jeep “ with a tub swap? No it is not.
I recognize that my first hand accounts of VIN discrepancies and fraud don't fit your narrative, and I obviously don't know the particular person and court case you are looking to have quoted; the fact is that the OP has a different year /make and model Jeep than what his title says.

Hoss

I used to be a people person, until people ruined it...
post #33 of 38 Old 09-26-2021, 02:41 PM
intheair

Garage
VIN Plates and Vin plate rivets for sale! Call the Feds!
Attached Thumbnails
8AC8E0F6-F028-4B9C-BCED-E4D4B063A8D0_1632688826426.jpg   4382441E-19B0-466C-944D-939FD0771D7B_1632688845229.jpg  

intheair

post #34 of 38 Old 09-26-2021, 03:06 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheair View Post
VIN Plates and Vin plate rivets for sale! Call the Feds!
No where has anyone said you cannot legally have a correct legal vin plate with the properly documented paperwork and documentation removed, replaced, or reinstalled on a vehicle by the proper authorities.

What we have said, over and over, and supported by the law, is that you cannot take the vin plate from one vehicle and screw it back on, especially to a different vehicle

They legally sell guns. You can legally purchase and use them. You cannot legally use them to commit a felony.

I suppose if you could legally do whatever you wanted with with a vin tag (original or aftermarket), they wouldn't have to have to include the legal language and disclaimer on the website you posted...

I wish you and the OP the best of luck.

Hoss

I used to be a people person, until people ruined it...
post #35 of 38 Old 09-26-2021, 04:37 PM
JERSEYJOE

1985 CJ7 

CJ 7

What would someone need to do if they replaced their windshield frame on a CJ 7? Does the VIN plate bolt on with the wiper motor?

SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
post #36 of 38 Old 09-27-2021, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
northfeather

OP here...
I know there's some bickering going on but both opinions have valid points.

Montana insight, just a FYI...
State Patrol was extremely helpful and didn't ask for my address to come confiscate my CJ7!
As folk have already pointed out...IT'S ILLEGAL TO HAVE A CJ5 VIN ON A CJ7 TUB. PERIOD! So technically me and the PO have/had an illegally registered vehicle. Whoopie! Who the hell cares? The CJ5 VIN tag is not stolen and it's a clean title, so that's that.
State Patrol's quote was, "If you want to make it legit and get it sorted out, then you'd need to have it inspected and apply for a new Montana issued VIN, IF you DO NOT have the full VIN for the CJ7 tub or know the previous owner of the CJ7 tub."
So, I don't know the full VIN of the CJ7. All I have is the partial on the RR frame rail.
There you go, two choices...
Do nothing.
or
Have inspected and apply.
post #37 of 38 Old 09-27-2021, 06:22 PM
Girth83
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northfeather View Post
OP here...
I know there's some bickering going on but both opinions have valid points.

Montana insight, just a FYI...
State Patrol was extremely helpful and didn't ask for my address to come confiscate my CJ7!
As folk have already pointed out...IT'S ILLEGAL TO HAVE A CJ5 VIN ON A CJ7 TUB. PERIOD! So technically me and the PO have/had an illegally registered vehicle. Whoopie! Who the hell cares? The CJ5 VIN tag is not stolen and it's a clean title, so that's that.
State Patrol's quote was, "If you want to make it legit and get it sorted out, then you'd need to have it inspected and apply for a new Montana issued VIN, IF you DO NOT have the full VIN for the CJ7 tub or know the previous owner of the CJ7 tub."
So, I don't know the full VIN of the CJ7. All I have is the partial on the RR frame rail.
There you go, two choices...
Do nothing.
or
Have inspected and apply.
It sounds like the two choices the Staties gave you are "have it inspected and apply for a new VIN" or....... "Keep it as is, and we might tow/impound it, if we feel like it later". That's fun. Nice to have choices.
bob4703 likes this.
post #38 of 38 Old 10-04-2021, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
northfeather

Just wanted to say thanks to the cross member under the gas tank area and roundel atop the intake suggestions. These both confirm this CJ7 is a 1984.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2758.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in