CJ Style Mirrors - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-10-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Jimmyj1957

CJ Style Mirrors

Need some advice on mirrors. Had some inexpensive mirrors that I installed on my Jeep. They vibrate terribly when I drive. Could someone recommend a better brand that doesn't vibrate so much or possibly a "fix" I can try to lesson the vibration.

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-11-2020, 06:37 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

That's the trouble with aftermarket mirrors, they vibrate because the tube arms are thinner metal than factory ones. Even the brackets that mount them to the windshield frame are thinner than OEM. A fix is to use OEM metal tubes and brackets to mount aftermarket mirror heads.
OrangeCJ-5 likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #3 of 20 Old 03-11-2020, 07:22 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

You have any pictures of how you have them mounted? so we can help
good luck
tim

post #4 of 20 Old 03-11-2020, 07:50 AM
redfin188t

1982 CJ7 

Only time when my OEM mirrors don't vibrate is when the Jeep is parked in the garage and not running!

Life is fraught with opportunities to keep your mouth shut. -Winston Churchill-
post #5 of 20 Old 03-11-2020, 10:55 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I ordered these yesterday, from Kentrol https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ktl-50417 I've heard good things about them, time will tell.
Matt1981CJ7 and 77CEGE like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-11-2020, 12:07 PM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

You'll like them I have Kentrol mirrors in bright finish on the original stalk on the driver side and Kentrol stalk on passenger side. They are both rock steady.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #7 of 20 Old 03-12-2020, 07:56 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The Kentrol mirrors came in today. MADE IN CHINA was my first clue I wasn't going to be very happy with them. The powder coat comes off much easier than any rattle can job I've ever done and they are in no way made as well as my old AMC drivers side mirror. At $125.00 a set, 3 times higher than the other cheap knock offs, I was expecting more. They may be going back.

My build thread

post #8 of 20 Old 03-13-2020, 04:17 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

They probably didn't sandblast them before powder coating them. That would add even more cost and quality and we don't see that much anymore from manufactures.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #9 of 20 Old 03-13-2020, 06:40 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
They probably didn't sandblast them before powder coating them. That would add even more cost and quality and we don't see that much anymore from manufactures.
I thought the same about the sandblasting and where the powder coat did come off the surface is very smooth. I speculate that these are made at the same time the ones are made for the cheaper priced ones and that they just put a different name on the box. Chine is not an honest place to do business. I like dealing with Summit Racing and hate it that this is going to cost them money but if they'll allow me to return these I plan to. I will just make my original mirror look as good as I can and call it good.

My build thread

post #10 of 20 Old 03-13-2020, 04:20 PM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Id be letting Kentrol know my displeasure if I was you. Certainly not up to scratch given their marketing boasts and you wont find the C word on the Kentrol site...

All of our products are fully inspected for fit, finish, and hardware, and come with a limited lifetime warranty.

...the same people that inspect the Omix stuff.

Kentrol accessories are built by Jeep enthusiasts for Jeep enthusiasts.

...Sure...all those jeep enthusiasts in China.

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-14-2020, 07:19 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Jim call Summit and tell them about the mirrors. Summit is my go to first online vendor. Several times I either didn't receive what I ordered or the product was crap. I've never been disappointed with their response.

I saw yesterday a set of "original Laredo" chrome mirrors for sale on one of the CJ Facebook group pages. Dude only wanted $300.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #12 of 20 Old 03-14-2020, 09:46 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whollsee View Post
Id be letting Kentrol know my displeasure if I was you. Certainly not up to scratch given their marketing boasts and you wont find the C word on the Kentrol site...

All of our products are fully inspected for fit, finish, and hardware, and come with a limited lifetime warranty.

...the same people that inspect the Omix stuff.

Kentrol accessories are built by Jeep enthusiasts for Jeep enthusiasts.

...Sure...all those jeep enthusiasts in China.
I do agree that contacting Kentrol would be a good idea. I am very familiar with the way the Chinese manufacture things they send us, I have dealt with their mistakes on tooling in my own shop. I can assure you that they couldn't care less about quality. The reputation of Kentrol is why I bought these but from now on their name mean little to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
Jim call Summit and tell them about the mirrors. Summit is my go to first online vendor. Several times I either didn't receive what I ordered or the product was crap. I've never been disappointed with their response.

I saw yesterday a set of "original Laredo" chrome mirrors for sale on one of the CJ Facebook group pages. Dude only wanted $300.
I did send the mirrors back, they make that easy. I will lose about $13.00 in the process. My CJ came with just the driver's side mirror. When I get my powder coat setup ready I plan to make it look as good as I can. The passenger side mirror is not so much of a thing I have to have anyway. In the mean time I have a cheap knock off I can put on and use that came with some other parts I bought. Oddly it and the Kentrol look like twins!

My build thread

post #13 of 20 Old 03-15-2020, 03:17 AM
tfiracing

I have a pair of original mirrors from an 1983, the heads are rusted out but the rest is salvagable.
whollsee likes this.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-18-2020, 10:40 PM
81BatmanJeep
1981 CJ7 

I bought these, cut off the pressed washer holding the arm to the mounting bracket, jb welded a bolt inside the arm and modified my cj brackets to mount them. I can drive down the highway and see with them both. Plan to make the brackets again to be pretty but the trial proved amazing improvement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #15 of 20 Old 03-19-2020, 06:56 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81BatmanJeep View Post
I bought these, cut off the pressed washer holding the arm to the mounting bracket, jb welded a bolt inside the arm and modified my cj brackets to mount them. I can drive down the highway and see with them both. Plan to make the brackets again to be pretty but the trial proved amazing improvement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This needs a picture of the the modifications and installation. PLEASE!!

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in