CJ Resto Vent - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-24-2021, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Inappropriatus

1986 CJ7 

Cj CJ Resto Vent

I have been working on my 86 CJ since June of this year. The engine and running gear are all I’ve worked on this far. The problems started there, finding parts in the Covid blockade is difficult. There is also a problem I am experiencing with accessories. If I see a sharp looking storage system, it’s made for a YJ and doesn’t fit a CJ. If I look for something under CJ specific search terms all kinds of other models flood the page and it’s like wading through molasses to sort what might be right for my CJ. When I do find a CJ item there is only one supplier, and they know it, so the markup is way over a similar item for a YJ. I do check all the local wrecking yards as well, but the YJ market is so saturated that they even have a hard time sorting out any CJs…there is even one nearby that is known as “Wrangler Wrecker”.

I admit, I am a CJ snob, YJs are easy to spot as YJs from blocks away. YJs do look good, but the original is the original and there is no replacement, especially if you need specialized parts. I am trying to rebuild, and it will get there, but there is a level of frustration right now.

Rant out

Inappropriatus
1986 CJ7 aka “The Old Man”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-24-2021, 05:18 AM
ranger83
1986 CJ7 

I feel your pain every time I try to repair, replace, or just upgrade.

Ranger83
86 CJ7(current)
83CJ5(former)
post #3 of 5 Old 09-24-2021, 09:50 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
So what are you looking for, for your CJ?

Don't worry about sending pics

----Just send links of what really interests you---even if it only fits another application---add in what you like about it and don't like.

Maybe we can help make it happen for you. After all, you have two Airborne Rangers on board now!

-------JEEPFELLER

post #4 of 5 Old 09-25-2021, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Inappropriatus

1986 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger83 View Post
I feel your pain every time I try to repair, replace, or just upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
So what are you looking for, for your CJ?

Don't worry about sending pics

----Just send links of what really interests you---even if it only fits another application---add in what you like about it and don't like.

Maybe we can help make it happen for you. After all, you have two Airborne Rangers on board now!

-------JEEPFELLER

Thanks for the replies:

Right now I am waiting on the ordered links, bushings and ball joints for the undercarriage and crossing my fingers I get the right parts. My previous experience with the radiator and pushrods has given me doubts on that success as I felt like I was settling for whatever I could find that would fit.

After that I would like to find a full set of Bilstein shocks (from more than one supplier for more competitive pricing) everyone seems to be in back order mode. So far I’ve found only one supplier that has the shock, but they do not offer set pricing (all four) the way they are offered for YJ sets. BTW, I did call Bilstein and they say they have the shocks but none of the retailers are ordering them!!! I suspect it is due to the overwhelming demand for YJ parts taking up shelf space in the retailers warehouses, but what do I know?

The primary complaint has been for a cold air intake system (see my previous post). There appears to be many different versions for YJs, but for a CJ specific (other than the standard air filter to plastic flex tube OEM snake) I cannot find a “performance” enhancing system. I have found a way to piece together the carb-plenum and an airbox to the original CAI on the drivers side grill, but I would like to find some hard metal tubing to connect the system without having to modify and strap in rubber tubing as well (too many flexible parts mean too many points of failure). The problem is the guess work and the price. Without having the pieces in my hands I cannot guesstimate the correct fit, working from pictures on the internet is so limiting. The purchase of all the different components like that (plenum, tubing, airbox, etc) stretches the overall price to at least double the the single bolt-in systems available for YJs.

Sorry for the longer rant/vent, but you asked.
Hooah…
Not a Ranger, but I do like saying Hooah to honor your service

Inappropriatus
1986 CJ7 aka “The Old Man”
post #5 of 5 Old 09-25-2021, 03:00 PM
ranger83
1986 CJ7 

I am surprised that Bilstein admitted that they have inventory but no supplies want it. You should call back and see if you can buy directly from them. Have you checked Rock Auto? They usually have a pretty good selection and they have great delivery.

If you need a charcoal canister you can pick one up from Delorean Motor Company, part # 101109. I think they are the only close to original that you will find.

Ranger83
86 CJ7(current)
83CJ5(former)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in