CJ Rear shackle hanger problem - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 03-27-2020, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Facendaw

1977 CJ5 

CJ Rear shackle hanger problem

I have a 1977 CJ-5 that has virtually no spring action in the rear. Can someone advise if perhaps my rear shackle hangers were installed backwards.

Photo #1 is the little joker in question. Mine is installed with the eye towards the rear.
Photo #2 - The shackle is bumped up right against a steel "C" channel, which I am assuming is the rear bumper, thus no spring action. Just beside it you can see someone sliced thru that channel to install the bumper hitch.
Photo #3 - just an outside view of the C channel I am referring to.
Photo #4 - a friends fully stock 1979 CJ-5, shows his hanger had the eye mounted towards the front. Perhaps that is how it was done just in 1979, I don't know.
Photo #5 - (this pic taken on opposite side) I did try reversing the hanger with the eye towards the front. All that happened was the shackle lays nearly flat that way. Mine came with 5" shackles so I bought a pair of stock 3" and they wouldn't fit at all.

Should I put the shackle hangers back towards the rear and just cut a slot from the bottom lip of that C channel?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4348.jpg   IMG_9296.jpg   IMG_9364.jpg   Warrens 79a.jpg  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-27-2020, 09:48 AM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

Longer than stock leaf springs?
post #3 of 21 Old 03-27-2020, 10:02 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

That's what it looks like, someone put longer springs on.

Are the wheels centered in the OEM wheel well opening? Maybe they wanted to move the axle back a little. There's a chart from a Cherokee forum that has the different lengths of leaf springs, may help ID the donor vehicle. The Dakota had off-center axle pins in the springs, and a little longer, so the are used at times to move an axle.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-27-2020, 11:19 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

You could stretch a string (and mark it) or a tape measure and get a reading on your friend's stock spring length center of spring eye to center of spring eye. Do the same for your Jeep. That will be a good starting point to tell you if your springs are different than stock. Like was said above, you probably have a different spring than stock.

That rear bumper that was sliced (from the picture, it looks like they did a nice job notching it) is actually the rear crossmember of the frame. It is a very structural part of the frame. You need to figure a better way to mount that hitch and have someone repair the notches the previous owner took it upon himself to cut into it. Several companies make brackets that tie the rear crossmember to the frame.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cj5+...ih=687&biw=960

If you had a set of heavy duty brackets installed, you could use a piece of heavy plate like your friend has mounted to his rear crossmember and you could have someone weld your hitch to that heavy plate. Just be glad the previous owner did not own a plasma cutter
post #5 of 21 Old 03-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

One thing you may look into also are the curved shackles. It would allow them to curve around the crossmember.

I highly recommend Jim1611's products, everything I have received from him is well worth it. He is also a member here, so you're helping out a member and fellow Jeeper. I was just talking to him about other parts, he was saying he was going to be offering his machined hangers at 10% off the regular price with free shipping. Full hanger set or just front or rear.

http://www.crabtreetool.com/Jeep%20P...rder-form.html

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-27-2020, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Facendaw

1977 CJ5 

I had wondered about that spring appearing too long also. I can't get over to my friends place to examine his and measure it at the moment. They are in their upped 70's and don't want to risk it, but that seems a logical next move.

I looked back at that cross member and see now that it isn't just an addition piece of metal. Once I figure out what to do next with this I may just replace it. Thanks a lot guys.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-27-2020, 05:13 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

If there is no other damage to the crossmember, find someone with a mig welder who knows how to weld and have them use a copper backer and fill it full of weld and grind it smooth. You probably want someone with a bigger 240v welder and not the 120V Home Depot variety. That crossmember is welded and maybe riveted in and probably require the body of the Jeep to be removed to weld a new one on properly.

If your friend is able bodied, have hi get a piece of string and get a helper or a magnet and stretch the string between eyes and measure the distance. This is a great time to work on your jeep if you can get the parts you need.

Maybe someone here with a same year CJ5 can get you the measurement.

Good luck and stay safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facendaw View Post
I had wondered about that spring appearing too long also. I can't get over to my friends place to examine his and measure it at the moment. They are in their upped 70's and don't want to risk it, but that seems a logical next move.

I looked back at that cross member and see now that it isn't just an addition piece of metal. Once I figure out what to do next with this I may just replace it. Thanks a lot guys.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-27-2020, 06:40 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Try these. The imagur link is larger and clearer.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/attach...af_springs.jpg

https://imgur.com/zLhAg

Rick

post #9 of 21 Old 03-27-2020, 06:59 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Lets try this
Attached Thumbnails
Cherokeeforum Spring Chart.jpg  

Rick

post #10 of 21 Old 03-27-2020, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Facendaw

1977 CJ5 

Thanks 327. So these are the stock lengths.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-28-2020, 04:01 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Picture #2 shows the Shackle Hanger bolted on the wrong way, at least if it was a CJ-7. Shackle eye should face the front and the mounting bolts towards the rear.

Have your mounting bolts been relocated by one hole due to that hitch assembly?
Attached Thumbnails
CJ_Chassis_II (12).jpg  
schardein likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #12 of 21 Old 03-28-2020, 07:50 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Here's a reference for you to compare against the springs you now have. My factory rear CJ7 springs are 46 1/2" from one eye to the other. They are off my Jeep so they're relaxed but you can measure as I did, by laying the tape measure flat on the bottom of the spring. Your springs seem to be more flat than what I'm seeing to seeing too. Were they mine I'd probably take them off and replace them with YJ style springs. You could put allot of effort into extending the rear hangers and still not end up with much.

And yes, as Cutless327 mentioned my spring hangers are 10% off with free shipping. Thanks Rick!
Cutlass327 likes this.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #13 of 21 Old 03-28-2020, 08:06 AM
Matt80cj
1980 CJ7 

A friend of mine had the same problem but his was front and back. The springs sat on the frame and had no movement. We determined that the springs were lift springs that flattened out (ie sagging) real bad. During a mild trail run he broke a front hanger and the spring moved even further forward than the other side but stayed touching the frame. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cutlass327 likes this.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-29-2020, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Facendaw

1977 CJ5 

Keith, I checked for a hole more towards the rear. I did find one hole towards the rear, but it only went thru the bottom of the frame, I could see no matching hole thru the upper part. While I was under there I measured straight eye, to eye and it was 44". I also strung a wire from the middle of the shackle bolt to the middle of the axle housing and that was about 22 1/2". It seems that part of the spring matches factory specs.

Snapped a couple of pics to get opinions on if it may too flattened out. The Jeep isn't jacked up, so the spring in the pics is under normal load.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9370.jpg   IMG_9369.jpg  
post #15 of 21 Old 03-30-2020, 03:23 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facendaw View Post
Keith, I checked for a hole more towards the rear. I did find one hole towards the rear, but it only went thru the bottom of the frame, I could see no matching hole thru the upper part.

What do you mean by " I could see no matching hole thru the upper part"?

I don't know the '77 model year CJ-5 frame details but later years the Shackle Hangers are bolted to the frame by welded nuts inside the lower portion of the frame. There are no through holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Spring Hanger (1).jpg  
Attached Images

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in