CJ Option Packages - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-13-2020, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
CJ Option Packages

Sorry if this has been covered before (I've been looking... trust me), but what makes each trim package special? What makes a Renegade a Renegade? What makes a Laredo a Laredo? Golden Eagle, Jamboree, and so on, and so on.

Is there some kind of a chart or resource available that covers this? I'm asking because I'm starting to wonder about my Jeep. It had been repainted before I bought it (15 years is a long time, after all), and it had a few things that seem like hi-end options to be found on just a base model. Some of those things would be:
  • Hard Top & Doors
  • A/C
  • Side Steps
  • Wheel Trim Rings
  • Tow Hitch

I know the VIN doesn't offer any clues other than basic model and drive train info followed by the serial number.

Any ideas? Links to other threads or resources? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-14-2020, 09:22 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Everything you listed could have been optional add-ons from the dealer. The Limited Edition trim package is the only one that came with beauty rings that I'm aware of. But that was only in '82-'83.

A leather wrapped steering wheel and grab bar, would suggest a Laredo trim package, but again, those could have been optional add-ons.

Does your CJ have a factory clock and tach? What material is your seat covers?

Matt
JoonHoss likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 Old 03-14-2020, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks, Matt.

I have no leather wrapped interior pieces, no factory clock or tach, and the seat covers/visors were blue vinyl (deluxe buckets, though - having darker blue stripes sewn into the center sections). Those wheels could've easily come from a different year model as well.

I'm pretty sure mine was nothing special (no named options packages) - I was just wondering if the option packages had a specific set of optional 'ingredients' to differentiate one from the other. I know my '71 Mach 1 had specific things to look for that made it a Mach 1, aside from the '05' designation in the VIN (standard fastbacks and even Boss 351s were '02' VIN numbers, for instance), but even then some things were occasionally deviated from the factory. Without the '05' VIN code, Mach 1s would basically be no more than a sticker kit. That's why I'm wondering about the Jeep packages... or are they pretty much just sticker kits not having any specific options designated by package?

As well, if anybody has any information like this to share, it might be helpful for those wanting to faithfully restore their Jeeps. I've noticed a lot of folks here doing that (I doubt I ever will go back to stock, but it would be nice to know where my Jeep came from, and I do kinda regret getting rid of the wheels when I did the lift kit).

These pics were right after I got it home and gave it a quick wash.

Curious though - would the VIN tag under the door have any information if it were a special package (Renegade, et al), or just basic info like most other vehicles? (Mine's in a storage unit right now, so getting a quick look is kinda tough)
Attached Images

post #4 of 22 Old 03-14-2020, 05:36 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

The firewall tag won't give you info on factory model option other than interior color and fabric. That would be a hint for Laredo models only with the unique vinyl Italian purse inserts.

Just looking at your steering wheel and dash that has no pad shows it was just a basic model with added options put on either from the dealer or PO. Beauty rings for wheels weren't available until 1982 for the Limited model.

Find a 1980 Jeep Sales Brochure like this one and figure out what you have: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati.../dirindex.html

But I can see that the 1980 sales brochure posted is for the European market and not US but packages should be the same.

Here's a picture of the cover of a 1980 Sales Brochure I have in my possession. If you need more photos, just let me know.

Attached Thumbnails
1980 Jeep CJ Sales.jpg  
Mister4x4 likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #5 of 22 Old 03-14-2020, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks, Keith.

Like I said, I don't think mine's anything special, I just know that it had been repainted - the same color (there are a couple of runs on the dashboard by the glove box). Having been repainted, I just had to wonder if there were any hood stickers I'm missing out on (doubtful).
post #6 of 22 Old 03-15-2020, 04:54 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I saw your cup holder on the dash there, hanging off the defrost vent. Can't be very stable and you should upgrade to a magnetic one. I bought one off of Amazon and it sticks very well to metal surfaces and never moves or comes off, even when hitting the most severe bumps and holes in the road.
Attached Thumbnails
The No Dash Pad Look (1).jpg  
Attached Images

Mister4x4 likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #7 of 22 Old 03-15-2020, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
LOL! Those pics are from 1995. That cup holder was tossed 5 minutes later, along with the 2x4 after installing a handful of machine screws to replace the missing ones from the A/C mounts (it had Oklahoma plates when I first got it, which explains many of the Redneck Upgrades I found ) I actually pulled the A/C unit and gave it to my buddy Jim for his CJ-5, who never did anything with it (it's still in his garage, which I might be getting it back soon as we clean things up a bit). The only thing that remains from this pic would be the roll of electrical tape on the windshield knob.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-15-2020, 03:48 PM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Lol...I noticed that particular knob looked different, but I didn't really think about why. Now we know it is the coveted handyman special option, non OEM, non dealer installed, but rare in its own right. I love looking at old Jeep pictures, thanks for posting them.
Mister4x4 likes this.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #9 of 22 Old 03-15-2020, 04:44 PM
CJ5Renegade
1975 CJ5 

This the interior of my 75 CJ5 Renegade Levi edition if this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mister4x4 likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-15-2020, 05:22 PM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

For the CJ driver who has everything! OEM underdash storage option...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-CJ-Sto...-/372735972964

PS. love the magnetic cup holder Keith!! Another item my list.
John Strenk likes this.

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-15-2020, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks again Keith, for the link to the brochure. It looks like mine is pretty much just a base model with some good options added (A/C, power steering, hard top & doors, passenger side mirror, blue denim vinyl seats & visors, Smoke Grey Metallic paint). It couldn't have been that much more expensive to click the Renegade box on the order form, I'm sure... to get the rest of the Decor and Convenience Group options. Probably would've looked cool with the blue sticker package.

I just realized I have no 'new' pics of the interior. I'll have to do something about that. Since I've owned the Jeep, I've made a lot of changes to the interior as well, to include:
  • Grant Challenger steering wheel
  • Jeep dash pad
  • black astroturf 'carpet'
  • TJ front seats with Bestop covers (charcoal)
  • Charcoal YJ fold-n-tumble rear seat
  • Centech tilt steering column
  • chrome skull shift knobs (both shifters)
  • Clutter Catcher center console
  • Bestop vinyl roll bar pad
  • 3-point seat belts
  • JVC AM/FM/Cassette DIN head unit
  • GLS 400w 4-ch, Optimus 200w 2-ch, Optimus 6-ch crossover
  • Infinity speakers (all 4)
  • Kicker Comp 10" subs in custom box behind rear seat
  • Kentrol aluminum control knobs (complete set)
  • Cobra 40-ch CB
  • Pucker Factor inclin-o-meter

This is the 'newest' pic of the interior (2001) - when the first skull knob came off. This redneck fix at least got me to the shop so I could fix the knob. I also had to relocate the Sun tach the p.o. installed to fit the dash pad (other pics had it on the top/right of the steering column).
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0007.jpg  
post #12 of 22 Old 03-16-2020, 12:30 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whollsee View Post

I got one of those !!

It also does a great job of redirecting the cool outside air onto the driver. How novel.
jeepster4245 and whollsee like this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #13 of 22 Old 03-16-2020, 02:33 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:

And you can tell the eBay seller has no idea of what it is actually used for...
For $50 that thing should be in pristine condition and include the original hardware. It has a couple of holes on the side of it that don't belong.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #14 of 22 Old 03-16-2020, 04:03 PM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
And you can tell the eBay seller has no idea of what it is actually used for...
For $50 that thing should be in pristine condition and include the original hardware. It has a couple of holes on the side of it that don't belong.
Not to mention the 1" tear.

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-16-2020, 05:00 PM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:

My 1986 CJ-7 had one of those when it was new. I mounted an aftermarket intermittent WW unit on it, it worked out good. I’m going to shop for one next time I visit my local Jeep wrecking yard. I want intermittent wipers on my current (1985) CJ-7. What did that plastic part actually do? It seemed like a convenient place to put stuff, but did it have another purpose?

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in