26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 441 Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidnex View Post
Restoring my box, the internal cable is inoperable, Does anyone know where to buy?? thanks
Either a junkyard, or call these guys...

items - Get great deals on Cherokee 84-01 XJ Other Parts items on eBay Stores!

They have lots of jeep parts, and will ship anything.

Rich

'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 441 Old 11-04-2010, 12:11 PM
way_of_life

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Restoring my box, the internal cable is inoperable, Does anyone know where to buy?? thanks
quadratec.com

if you can't find one for a cj5 then try the cj7 ones

°lllllll°
post #48 of 441 Old 11-04-2010, 03:04 PM
FMXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

heater box / defrost duct

I just used some insulation tape I had laying around. I ran it round the edges of the flaps, seems to work just fine. My cardboard defroster duct was all wore out and busted up. Instead of spending big bucks on another one I used 2 inch pvc pipe to make one that wont rot or rust. It fits nice and snug up in the channel and will seal up tight so air flow wont be lost. If any body is interested in how I did it shoot me a line and I'll send pictures.

post #49 of 441 Old 11-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

I don't believe you can buy the inner cable new. Did you try running some Kroil or similiar down the wire to free it up? That is what I did and worked it in and out, just becarefull not to kink it.. Hint: Don't remove it from the box yet. It is a PITA to get out and a bigger one to put back. If that doesn't work you could make one from one of the other cables that go to the dash. The dash cables are available new.
post #50 of 441 Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Davidnex

1979 CJ5 

Would have try Blaster,but cable was already rusted in two... But you have a good idea< I did think of building one out out dash cable.. it will require the the longest one,, working today on that.
post #51 of 441 Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMXJ View Post
I just used some insulation tape I had laying around. I ran it round the edges of the flaps, seems to work just fine. My cardboard defroster duct was all wore out and busted up. Instead of spending big bucks on another one I used 2 inch pvc pipe to make one that wont rot or rust. It fits nice and snug up in the channel and will seal up tight so air flow wont be lost. If any body is interested in how I did it shoot me a line and I'll send pictures.
Why not just post them here?

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #52 of 441 Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Davidnex

1979 CJ5 

Nice thread, very helpful, brought the Napa motor, right on and less than online stores..

79 CJ 5 Frame up Build
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/79-cj-5-frame-up-1092681/
post #53 of 441 Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM
way_of_life

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Nice thread, very helpful, brought the Napa motor, right on and less than online stores..
this reminds me--

Although I didn't really do extensive searching, everything I was find was expensive (for the motor) but you can refurbish them in most cases by taking a wire and getting the rust off and then giving it a healthy dose of oil

if you have a battery charger, set it to 12v and hook it up to the motor to let the oil work its way in, and then wipe it off and give it some paint. It worked perfectly for mine

°lllllll°
post #54 of 441 Old 11-05-2010, 05:35 PM
MoC

1986 CJ7 

Another tip to add here that I found out when I did mine and upgraded to the blazer blower motor it to get it from AutoZone and not Advanced Auto. For what ever reason the Advanced Auto one did not come with the plug that goes in the motor unused port. I had the guy check the boxes of all three in stock and it was not there. Had to go to autozone.
post #55 of 441 Old 11-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Davidnex

1979 CJ5 

$22, you can't go wrong, tonight will rebuild internal temp adjust cable(not available anywhere), will post results with pics

79 CJ 5 Frame up Build
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/79-cj-5-frame-up-1092681/
post #56 of 441 Old 11-05-2010, 08:10 PM
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

Too bad you don't live closer to me. I know a local guy who probably has that cable, at least he had it when I needed one. He used to own several Jeep dealerships, since retired, and as a result he has a huge repository of original factory Jeep parts.
post #57 of 441 Old 11-05-2010, 08:11 PM
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Another tip to add here that I found out when I did mine and upgraded to the blazer blower motor it to get it from AutoZone and not Advanced Auto. For what ever reason the Advanced Auto one did not come with the plug that goes in the motor unused port. I had the guy check the boxes of all three in stock and it was not there. Had to go to autozone.

X2 I got mine from NAPA and theirs did not have the plug either, I had to make one.
post #58 of 441 Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Jeep-N-0311
1984 CJ7 

I've been doing some looking and experimenting, Have used the Bronco blower motor on my CJ's for 15 years - an improvement, but still .... not REALLY perfect. Have found the Blower motor from the Grand Caravan (Late 80's). Has MUCH more "Bite" in the squireel cage fins, dual-sided squirrel cage, and REALLY moves the air (remember, it moves enough to heat a mini-van. We've run it (hand-held, straight wired to battery) side by side with the bronco fan ... NO comparison ... The Grand Caravan motor moves TONS more air. Unfortunately, (we think) that it's set up (bearings, etc) to be mounted vertically, rather than horizontally, so, there's another engineering issue. With the amount of air it moves, a custom made box could:
A) use a larger (or doubled) heater core &
B) (presumedly) BOTH, heat low (floor or waist), AND defrost, effectively.

Oh, and, I bought a full set of cables (Quadratec, I think) about 6 months ago
post #59 of 441 Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Skerr

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
$22, you can't go wrong, tonight will rebuild internal temp adjust cable(not available anywhere), will post results with pics
I would appreciate that.

Rich- Did you have any other cable problems? Broken ends, frozen, etc.? Besides what David is doing I'd like to see any pics you might have accumulated. Also, do you have a source for the teflon washers, or an alternative?

Thanks

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
post #60 of 441 Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I would appreciate that.

Rich- Did you have any other cable problems? Broken ends, frozen, etc.? Besides what David is doing I'd like to see any pics you might have accumulated. Also, do you have a source for the teflon washers, or an alternative?

Thanks
I didn't have any cable problems, Scott. What type of pictures did you have in mind? Most are in this thread, but I may have a few more.

I had the teflon washers in stock, but I bought them a few years ago from McMaster-Carr.com.

You probably don't have to use teflon... stainless, or steel ones would probably work fine. They're only used to center the flap and take up the extra space on the rod.

I haven't had a chance to install the heater box, yet. I've been so busy with everything else in life, that the jeep has taken a back seat. But, this winter I plan to make some progress, hopefully.

Rich

'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in