JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   CJ Grill - one of my favorite parts (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj-grill-one-my-favorite-parts-4443275/)

Islander13 09-22-2021 02:24 PM

CJ Grill - one of my favorite parts

2 Attachment(s)
The new to me '81 CJ7 came with a Champion 8000 pound winch and a big *** black bumper. And while I appreciate the value of both - I won't be heavy off-roading at all. One of my favorite parts of the look of a CJ is the grill. It was kinda bothering me to only see winch and bumper, with the headlights peeking over top.

So while waiting for my new fuel tank to arrive, I pulled the winch and bumper to see which look I like better.

For me, I like the clean look. I can easily remount the winch without the bumper - but this won't be a mud buggy/rock crawler... I may cut the upper frame off the big bumper and re-mount that. I'm looking for a clean - closer to stock look that shows that pretty smile.

What do you guys think?

JEEPFELLER 09-22-2021 03:49 PM

Just to get that ole nasty, in the way winch out of your way.

Send it to me.

I promise it will never bother you again.

----JEEPFELLER

STJP 09-22-2021 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Why not just go back stock?? Can't get much cleaner than that.

JS

Islander13 09-22-2021 08:50 PM

Yeah... I do prefer that clean stock look. I think its a pretty cheap bumper too.
I'll hang on to them for now - Especially the winch (Sorry Jeepfeller). I can use it around the property. My 82 year old neighbour was just telling me that he's got an old CJ5 in the barn and wanted to put a heavier bumper on. So maybe I'll see what he's got to trade.

bob4703 09-23-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER (Post 41360575)
Just to get that ole nasty, in the way winch out of your way.

Send it to me.

I promise it will never bother you again.

----JEEPFELLER

JEEPFELLER really needs a wench. He always has to move one that won't start out of the way so he can get the one that will start out of the garage. That's the price you pay for having two Jeeps. I also need him to come move one of mine.

I have friend who had the same problem with driving with a winch so he took his off ad put a stock bumper and put a receiver hitch on the front. He welded a draw bar on the winch mount and no only puts it on when he goes off road.

mudbfun 09-23-2021 11:24 AM

Well, the upside to no winch is that the radiator will breathe better. But I dont think the winch is the main offender, I think it is that fugly bumper.

Matt1981CJ7 09-23-2021 12:44 PM

I use my winch for a lot of things other than just a wheeling recovery device. I also consider my 8274 winch the crown jewel on the front of my CJ. It ain't going anywhere.

If it's just an aesthetic issue for you, I'm sure someone will gladly take that ugly winch off your hands.

As for the bumper...ditch it, IMO.

Matt

devildog80 09-23-2021 12:49 PM

Oh pick me pick me.... would take the bumper too. Need some square stock about that size for another project!

JEEPFELLER 09-23-2021 12:51 PM

I used to have a wench,

Divorced her in the early '90s,

I'm glad it's no longer a part of either of my Jeeps.

-----JEEPFELLER

dolsoncj7 09-23-2021 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ahh, without that big bumper and the winch, you're all set for this:

John Strenk 09-23-2021 03:44 PM

Oh my!
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/p...-Eyelashes.jpg

JoonHoss 09-23-2021 04:22 PM

Could always fab up a hidden receiver behind/in the stock bumper(s) so you could use your winch when/if needed, but retin the beautiful stock appearance!

Hoss

Axhammer 09-23-2021 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This for the win.

Axhammer 09-23-2021 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My junk.

JEEPFELLER 09-23-2021 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mr. Jeep got him a Forward Reese a long time ago.

My main thought was to build a Beefed up tow bar (Reese to Reese) without an "A frame" set up as with most have.

I also figured I could winch from the front or the back, as sometimes you must back out, or just leave it at the house.

I reckon the only thing I have used it for was to rearrange boat and utility trailers in back yards.

So, I never got me a winch. A come long, a 80' cable and chains have been my rescue.

Islander13----feel any sympathy?---Send the winch to me?

-----JEEPFELLER

The time now is 03:26 PM.