• 1 Post By 43Duc
  • 1 Post By wkdavistx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-09-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
CJ full hard door window regulator grommets

In my efforts to restore the doors for my '78 CJ7, I ran across an issue of trying to find some replacement parts for the door glass.

Searching online it seems the little piece of plastic is called the regulator grommet.
grommet.jpg
It's the piece that snaps into the glass and allows the regulator slide to attach to via screws.
grommet2.jpg
The ones on mine were pretty brittle and a few of the 'legs' had broken off and after getting my door back together and rolling the window up and down a few times the little grommet broke and will no longer retain itself in the glass hole it snaps into.
Apparently this little grommet is a discontinued part. Still available if you dig for it however pricey. About 25$ apiece

epay

epay

Interested to see if anyone has come up with something that works thats not so costly. TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-09-2019, 08:31 AM
chatham

here are a couple of places you might try

https://cliphouse.com/

https://the-clip-house.myshopify.com/
post #3 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Here are some more pictures of the grommets
img_1486.jpg
img_1502.jpg
img_1488.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
It just so turns out that BMW uses a similar setup on some of their vehicles door glass as well. The holes in the glass turn out to be 1/2" in diameter same as our jeep glass. Replacement clips for these are readily available and about a $1.50 apiece.

I found several videos on Youtube on how they fix their issues and it works for our jeep as well
img_1495.jpg

The black clips are available from amazon. Just search for BMW X5 regulator clip

Then pickup a set of Hillman Truss Slotted 0.625 in License Plate Screws #884270 from Lowes

img_1496.jpg
img_1497.jpg

Insert the license plate holder into the black clip

img_1498.jpg
img_1500.jpg

Use the supplied screw with the license plate kit from lowes to attach the regulator slide rail.

img_1501.jpg

Hopefully this will help someone in this situation fix their problem by not having to spend 25$ per grommet.
jc_chandler likes this.

post #5 of 9 Old 04-27-2020, 04:51 PM
43Duc

1982 CJ8 

This was a big money saver for me this week! Worked like a charm - love this place!
cjoffroad likes this.

1982 Jeep Scrambler
post #6 of 9 Old 01-06-2021, 03:16 PM
wkdavistx

1983 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoffroad View Post
It just so turns out that BMW uses a similar setup on some of their vehicles door glass as well. The holes in the glass turn out to be 1/2" in diameter same as our jeep glass. Replacement clips for these are readily available and about a $1.50 apiece.

I found several videos on Youtube on how they fix their issues and it works for our jeep as well

The black clips are available from amazon. Just search for BMW X5 regulator clip

Then pickup a set of Hillman Truss Slotted 0.625 in License Plate Screws #884270 from Lowes

Insert the license plate holder into the black clip

Use the supplied screw with the license plate kit from lowes to attach the regulator slide rail.

Hopefully this will help someone in this situation fix their problem by not having to spend 25$ per grommet.
Thank you, cjoffroad!
Definitely saved me some money! My only problem is that one of the license plate screws in each door came out, so I had to go back in. I used some #10 stainless machine screws, washers and nuts. Works like a charm! Don't forget a little grease in the track to keep things moving smoothly.
Attached Thumbnails
20201225_141210.jpg   20201225_141236.jpg  
cjoffroad likes this.

1983 CJ7 on a 4" lift and 33's
post #7 of 9 Old 01-07-2021, 04:32 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Duc View Post
This was a big money saver for me this week! Worked like a charm - love this place!
It's the crowd here. Everyone is helpful and allot of experience!

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #8 of 9 Old 04-19-2021, 08:33 AM
GadgetsYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know where you can net new replacement slide rails? Or what the actual name or Part number would be.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-19-2021, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetsYJ View Post
Does anyone know where you can net new replacement slide rails? Or what the actual name or Part number would be.
I've seen them referred to as slide rails, guide rails, regulator track arm and any combination in between.
Unfortunately it looks like new ones are getting hard to find and quite costly.

New

Good used

Tags
door , glass , grommet , regulator , replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in