CJ Aluminum Valve Cover Help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Old 06-20-2020, 05:14 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

So, up until 1982, the 258 engine already had tapped holes on the drivers side and not the passenger side? I have a spare cylinder head from a 1983 engine and the five holes on either side are not tapped. Only the front and rear 1/4-20 threads are there. AMC, in there infinite wisdom, decided to allow the plastic valve cover to leak even more during 1983 and 84 model years and as a fix, utilized the long cylinder head stud bolts on the drivers side by fitting bell shaped washers on them to hold down the cover for 1985-86. Chrysler finally saw this as a problem and made a fix with the 4.0L engine that now has 15 bolts for the valve cover.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #17 of 21 Old 06-20-2020, 10:14 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
My buddy that owns the body shop that I took my CJ-7 to, so he could put it on his frame rack to check my frame straightness, told me a little story.

Years back when the CJ-7’s were still plentiful, but old enough to start having maintenance problems, many caught fire under the hood due to the oil leaking on the exhaust manifold. The fires burned the paint and caused enough damage to “total” the Jeep. He said he bought about 8 or nine of them over the years, with engine compartment fire damage and drove them for a while before selling them. It was an
easy fix, most the time and he said he got them for $300-$800 depending on the age and amount of damage.

So don’t drive your CJ it if the gasket is leaking bad enough that the oil runs down the side of the exhaust manifold.
c82cj likes this.

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #18 of 21 Old 06-20-2020, 07:31 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
My buddy that owns the body shop that I took my CJ-7 to, so he could put it on his frame rack to check my frame straightness, told me a little story.

Years back when the CJ-7’s were still plentiful, but old enough to start having maintenance problems, many caught fire under the hood due to the oil leaking on the exhaust manifold....

So don’t drive your CJ it if the gasket is leaking bad enough that the oil runs down the side of the exhaust manifold.

Or, get a fire suppression system fitted under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
lVVibB9.jpg  
c82cj likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #19 of 21 Old 06-24-2020, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
c82cj

1982 CJ7 

Garage
One more question for everyone. The guy in the video uses a Fel-Pro do I need to get that one as well or just use the cork that comes with the cover?
post #20 of 21 Old 07-02-2020, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
c82cj

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Moderate Amount of Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
If you guys watch the video I posted, the guy swaps out the factory plastic valve cover on a 1982 258, just like the OP has.

He clearly states there are only 2 existing holes that need to be tapped. The OP should not have to do any drilling.

All he needs is a bottom tap in the correct size. He will also have to replace the 2 studded rocker bridges with regular bridges. They should be supplied with the aluminum cover.

Matt
I was taking off my plastic valve cover and I found that one bolt was broken and I think I must have broken the other. Any idea how to fix this or am I going to have to take my Jeep to the shop in shame?
Attached Thumbnails
Broken.jpg  

No Top No Doors please
post #21 of 21 Old 07-03-2020, 04:15 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

In order to get at the broken piece of the bolt, the cylinder head must be removed. Are you prepared to do that? If not, take it to a competent mechanic who can.
c82cj likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in