CJ Aluminum Valve Cover Help - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-15-2020, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
c82cj

1982 CJ7 

Garage
CJ Aluminum Valve Cover Help

I'm wanting/needing to replace my stock plastic valve cover with an aluminum one. My uncle said his was simply a bolt on with no modifications needed. Everything I am seeing is saying that I have to drill and tap holes. I am not the most handy person so this is giving me a little anxiety. Does anyone have videos or pics and very detailed descriptions of how I can go about doing this myself. I would really like to save the money and have the satisfaction from doing it myself. I have a 1982 CJ-7 with a 258 engine if this helps. Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-15-2020, 02:47 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Google is your friend.

Tinker0000 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old 06-15-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
c82cj

1982 CJ7 

Garage
thanks I watched this one a few times but I really wanted to see the bottom tapping up close. That is what seems to be the hardest part.

post #4 of 21 Old 06-15-2020, 08:53 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
i can tell you a trick i use alot for tapping a hole straight. when free handing the tapping you have the possibility of tapping at a angle. what i have is some small block that have a tapped hole in them . then what i do is screw the tap into the small block. then i set the block down over the hole i need to be tapped. with it sitting on the material that needs to be tapped i start to tap the new hole. the tapped small block guides the tap square into the hole being tapped.

the thing about tapping a shallow hole be gentle when tapping you dont want to break a tap. reverse alot and when you feel it stop dont try to get any deeper.

oldschool
post #5 of 21 Old 06-15-2020, 10:02 PM
MrPeter63
1983 CJ7 

It's really not that hard... You can do it!
post #6 of 21 Old 06-16-2020, 03:44 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

It's really not that hard, and if you want to rid yourself of the prone to leak plastic valve cover, then aluminum is the way to go.

You will need a 5/16-18 Bottom Tap for 5 holes, 3 on passenger side and 2 on the drivers side. You can drill the holes a little deeper but not more than 3/8" which will yield a 5/16 depth for tapping. A letter drill of 'F' is best and use a small shaft collar on the drill bit to control the amount of depth you drill, again 3/8" max.
Tapping cast iron does not require tapping fluid so don't use it. I would have a vacuum sucking away debris when drilling and tapping though.
JoonHoss and 258 like this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #7 of 21 Old 06-16-2020, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
c82cj

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello
i can tell you a trick i use alot for tapping a hole straight. when free handing the tapping you have the possibility of tapping at a angle. what i have is some small block that have a tapped hole in them . then what i do is screw the tap into the small block. then i set the block down over the hole i need to be tapped. with it sitting on the material that needs to be tapped i start to tap the new hole. the tapped small block guides the tap square into the hole being tapped.

the thing about tapping a shallow hole be gentle when tapping you dont want to break a tap. reverse alot and when you feel it stop dont try to get any deeper.

oldschool
Is there a place to buy the small block for a guide? I am definitely going aluminum it just depends of if I install it or take it somewhere to be installed.

Thanks everyone for the help and support. I am trying to become a little more hands on with my CJ but absolutely still a novice with repairs
post #8 of 21 Old 06-16-2020, 02:22 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I *think* the '82 head only requires tapping 2 existing holes.

OP, don't you have any mechanically inclined friends? If so, you could have the valve cover swapped out before you finished your first beer.

No time like the present to learn something new.

Matt

post #9 of 21 Old 06-16-2020, 09:49 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
I *think* your right. It's been 30+ years since I changed my 82 but I believe it's only the 2 on the intake side that need tapped. The 3 on the pass side were already using bolts. The drivers/intake side used fat washer nuts to clamp down on the rim.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

post #10 of 21 Old 06-17-2020, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
c82cj

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to look more into it before trying. I think I can but if I mess up with will be very costly. Unfortunately I just moved to Austin from Dallas and my mechanically inclined friends are up there. Any other tips or pictures of what holes on the '82 need to be tapped would be greatly appreciated.
post #11 of 21 Old 06-18-2020, 10:07 AM
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Not hard at all - one of the easiest upgrades I've done. You'll say the same thing after doing it yourself. The youtube video Matt posted is the one I watched beforehand, and it was straightforward after watching that. Mine is an 86, and only required 2 holes tapped if i recall......Good luck!
post #12 of 21 Old 06-18-2020, 10:47 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Honestly, I went through the same issue on my '83; I worried and obsessed over it, and yet the actual work to prep the engine and be ready to re-install was fully complete during my 30 min lunch at work.

I had an unKnown-to-me bad t-case Mount which made getting to the back nut a bit harder, and a couple of hiccups which seemed unique to my engine, but it really, really is not that bad at all. The flat bottom tapping was the easiest part of it all.

You got this!

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #13 of 21 Old 06-19-2020, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
c82cj

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks y'all! I am getting pumped up now after hearing so many say how easy this is. I am gonna probably go for it. I still welcome any advice but I will let everyone know how it goes.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-19-2020, 10:27 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
If you want to practice tapping threads in a hole, you could always drill a hole in some scrap cast iron the same depth as the holes in your cylinder head, and then cut some threads with a tap, in the scrap piece, before cutting the threads in your cylinder head. This would give you a little experience allowing you to get a feel for how the tap cuts into the metal. Clean & lube it often with brake/carb cleaner & WD-40, it will cut cleaner threads when clean & lubed.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #15 of 21 Old 06-19-2020, 11:03 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you guys watch the video I posted, the guy swaps out the factory plastic valve cover on a 1982 258, just like the OP has.

He clearly states there are only 2 existing holes that need to be tapped. The OP should not have to do any drilling.

All he needs is a bottom tap in the correct size. He will also have to replace the 2 studded rocker bridges with regular bridges. They should be supplied with the aluminum cover.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in