CJ-7 Part Description - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-03-2020, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Kanjeep

1984 CJ7 

Garage
CJ-7 Part Description

Can someone tell me what this part is called? I believe my PCV tube is supposed to be connected to it, but it appears the PO just plugged it with a screw.

1984 CJ-7 258 4.2ltr with EFI

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9663.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-03-2020, 10:51 AM
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanjeep View Post
Can someone tell me what this part is called? I believe my PCV tube is supposed to be connected to it, but it appears the PO just plugged it with a screw.

1984 CJ-7 258 4.2ltr with EFI

Looks to me like a manifold vacuum port on the intake. Hard to tell with the camera zoomed in, but that is my guess based on the photo. Others will confirm I'm sure....
post #3 of 21 Old 08-03-2020, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Kanjeep

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks ccoyle71. It runs from the brake booster, down under the carb/intake to the position you see.

post #4 of 21 Old 08-03-2020, 11:29 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I don't think it has a name other than a "T" adapter for the brake booster vacuum port.

In the part list it's just called a Fitting. Part Number J323 9145
Attached Thumbnails
Intake Parts.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #5 of 21 Old 08-03-2020, 12:48 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

There used to be an additional vacuum port where the screw is. I suspect the PO broke it off, so he plugged it with a screw.

The PCV valve should be connected to a large manifold vacuum port at the base of the carb.

Matt

post #6 of 21 Old 08-03-2020, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Kanjeep

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks Matt and John. Looks like that part is discontinued so i'll have fun chasing down a new one. And if not, it'll be fab time!
post #7 of 21 Old 08-03-2020, 03:04 PM
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks Matt and John. Looks like that part is discontinued so i'll have fun chasing down a new one. And if not, it'll be fab time!

My vac advance runs off of that tee (where yours is broken off and have a screw). In your case, you must already have another source for vac advance? Are you needing another source for something? Or is it leaking? If not.....you could always just leave well enough alone.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-04-2020, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Kanjeep

1984 CJ7 

Garage
ccoyle71 - The PO appears to have put 2 PCV valves on top of the valve cover, run them together at a t-joint and then down the passenger side of the engine?????? The hose just hangs there and occasionally drip water/oil. I want to replace the rear PCV with a breather. Then replace the front PCV with a new one and run the hose over to this connector, as it appears to have been from the factory. Not sure what the PO was going for, but it sure doesn't make sense to me.
The PO did install EFI, and the vaccum advance runs from the bottom connectors of the intake. You can see it at the top left of my photo.
I just replaced the head gasket last month and noticed this crazy layout while putting it all back together. I'd like to get it back like it should be.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-04-2020, 09:15 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I don't think the factory ever used that vacuum port for the PCV valve. It was usually used for the vacuum advance. The PCV vacuum source was usually a much larger nipple (3/8" I think) at the base of the carb.

Matt
Attached Images

post #10 of 21 Old 08-04-2020, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Kanjeep

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Matt - I've seen pix of three CJ's and an AMC Hornet with the PCV hose attached to that fitting. Doesn't mean that the factory did it that way, but it seems to work and thats what i'm looking for.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-04-2020, 02:55 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The PCV is basically a metered vacuum leak. It was factored into the carb's design to provide proper air/fuel ratios. The port you are considering doesn't carry the same volume of air that the normal PCV port does. I don't recommend using it for the PCV, regardless of what hack jobs you've seen on the interwebs.

Matt
STJP and robblue6412 like this.

post #12 of 21 Old 08-04-2020, 03:29 PM
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
ccoyle71 - The PO appears to have put 2 PCV valves on top of the valve cover, run them together at a t-joint and then down the passenger side of the engine?????? The hose just hangs there and occasionally drip water/oil. I want to replace the rear PCV with a breather. Then replace the front PCV with a new one and run the hose over to this connector, as it appears to have been from the factory.

The above all makes sense to me....except the last step. I don't think it was ever designed that way. See the response below. Furthermore, IMHO, I'd say Matt is an expert on this and I would trust his advice - way more than a few pictures I've seen of someone else's Jeep. We've all seen some crazy hacks on these CJs, but that doesn't mean it's correct. I'd listen to Matt. Just my two cents....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
The PCV is basically a metered vacuum leak. It was factored into the carb's design to provide proper air/fuel ratios. The port you are considering doesn't carry the same volume of air that the normal PCV port does. I don't recommend using it for the PCV, regardless of what hack jobs you've seen on the interwebs.

Matt
post #13 of 21 Old 08-05-2020, 06:30 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Two PCVs? One should be a filtered source for outside air.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #14 of 21 Old 08-05-2020, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Kanjeep

1984 CJ7 

Garage
So, I'm following Matt's direction. I bought a new Breather for the rear of the Valve Cover and a New PCV valve just to be sure. As expected, upon closer inspection the vacuum fitting was indeed broken and the screw put in its place.
Attached Thumbnails
VacuumFitting.jpg   NewBreather.jpg   NewPCV-1.jpg  
post #15 of 21 Old 08-05-2020, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Kanjeep

1984 CJ7 

Garage
So, now I have to figure out where the PCV hose SHOULD connect. There appear to be 4 connections at the intake/carburator.
#1 - (Green) is a 1/4" hose that runs from the intake to the cannister.
#2 - (Red) is a 3/8" hose that runs from the middle of the intake down to the cannister.
#3 - (Yellow) is a 1/4" hose that runs from the intake to the advance.
#4 - (Blue) is a 1/4" post that has a rubber cap over it.
Attached Thumbnails
1Qtr-Intake.jpg   1Qtr-Canister.jpg   23_8Intake.jpg   23_8Canister.jpg   3Qtr_Advance.jpg  

3Qtr_Intake.jpg   OpenPort.jpg   OpenPortCap.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in