CJ-7 Electric Fan Upgrade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-13-2021, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
86renegade
1986 CJ7 

Garage
CJ-7 Electric Fan Upgrade

While out on some trails today I noticed a pretty significant leak from the fins on my radiator. The CJ has the original radiator and belt-driven fan. I'm needing to replace my radiator and i figured this is also a good time to upgrade the fan from the belt-driven to an electric fan setup.

I used the search bar to see if I could come up with any good build threads on how to go about this, needing recommendations on a good build thread for this.

Also, what radiator would yall recommend I replace the original with? My goal with my CJ is to not modify her to much and keep the classic look so please keep that in mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-13-2021, 10:09 PM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

I would prefer the copper oem style radiator, but they are pretty spendy and you can get a good aluminum radiator for less then half the cost. So I went with an aluminum replacement for mine and I am going to be adding a protective grill screen to help prevent highway rock damage. Its working fine so far.

Dont know about the elec. Fan. I just went with a 5 blade flex fan to keep things simple. If my CJ5 had a clutch fan I would have just stayed with that.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-13-2021, 10:36 PM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

I would take the original radiator to a radiator shop and have them recore it. Cheaper than a new one, better quality than a new aluminium radiator. And when you open the hood, it looks original. Bear in mind it has managed 40 years already.

If you can identify the pinhole in a fin you have el cheapo bodges available such as crimping that fin, plumbing solder, JB weld etc. which can close it up.

My 1951 CJ3A has a 1951 radiator, no idea if the original one or how many times recored but it bolts up correctly. 70 years is not unusual for a maintained radiator.

Look up Contour fan and you will get many threads from junkyard upgrades to a dual fan. There was a thread here the other day on fan controllers which made interesting reading, using a Bosch temperature switch for a BMW and two heavy duty relays and a resistor.

I have stuck to mechanical fans, with new thermoclutches, as I do not have much luck with electrics.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER

post #4 of 12 Old 06-14-2021, 01:11 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

There are lots of us here who have a Champion 3 row radiator and are using the Ford Contour Dual fan. It is a great setup and the fan fits the radiator like it was a factory option.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-14-2021, 06:16 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Another vote for the Champion 3-row aluminum radiator.

However, I don't consider an electric fan to be an "upgrade". I'd stick with a mechanical fan with clutch.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-14-2021, 01:28 PM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

This what I have on our 74. I'll echo the above by saying before you buy new see if you can repair what you have now.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...base/year/1974

I modified one of these--either 14" or 15". https://www.summitracing.com/search/...rder=Ascending

I have delegated the electric fan to a manually switched backup fan which I have used only once.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #7 of 12 Old 06-15-2021, 11:32 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
I must stick with what came on my CJs.

Been behind the Jeep wheels since 1981 (all 7 daily drivers)

I never have come across an "upgrade" for the fan drive, as any other animal adds more possible things that can fail (more than what you already have)

That is, something more lower maintenance, more dependable, never thought about, until they come up with a nuclear self propelled model, I'm staying where I am.

I am running a flex fan, a normal fan fail might be a broken belt, bad water pump bearings, source of power failure (meaning my engine ain't working---this will kinda mess up the whole plan anyway!)

Sorry, I'm not buying in, Hard to fix a 75 year and older proven part.

Maybe you can experiment with a "spoiler" (wing) attached to the rear of your tub---those little sports cars seem to swear by them. Usually word of mouth spread these unfounded rumors, and the sheep lead the sheep into a auto parts store. Please save your unnecessary spending---send it to me, I have some actual repairs that may haunt me soon.

----JEEPFELLER
post #8 of 12 Old 06-15-2021, 12:14 PM
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a SPAL fan wedged between the grill and my OEM radiator.
Why electric??
I do a fair amount of deep water wheeling, and a mechanical fan was flooding everything, now matter how slowly I drove.
Electric fan solves that problem with the flick of a switch, just don’t forget to turn it back on!!

1977 CJ5 is a CJ build ever really done?
2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck

Last edited by stripperguy; 06-15-2021 at 05:49 PM. Reason: wedged, not edged!
post #9 of 12 Old 06-15-2021, 12:18 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

In the "stickies" there is some info and pictures for the fan swap. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/m...-swap-1164486/

The Ford Contour fan is the most common swap. I have it on my 5.0 in my Jeep and have driven at low speeds on 90+ degree days and never any problems. So they do work. If I had a factory shroud and fan I'd likely not use an electric fan though. A shroud and mechanical fan are a project for another day though. One big dislike for the electric fans is the noise they make.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #10 of 12 Old 06-15-2021, 01:39 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

...With your 5.0???, you need a louder exhaust. With a louder exhaust, you will not hear the fan.

Actually with my setup, I rarely hear the fan and it has only gone into high speed a couple of times on 110 degree days. I had much more noise with the Mustang clutch fan on hot days. That stock fan really made a roar.

I am curious why it your fan so loud. That is a Ford factory fan designed for a passenger car. Do you have an OEM Motorcraft fan or is it aftermarket? There are lots of aftermarket replacements and they are not all made to the same standards. I got mine from a junkyard and all has been good for 5 years and I daily drive the Jeep. The Dakota Digital really keeps the fan on time to a minimum.

I really like that there is no fan attached to the water pump. It makes working on the engine so much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
In the "stickies" there is some info and pictures for the fan swap. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/m...-swap-1164486/

The Ford Contour fan is the most common swap. I have it on my 5.0 in my Jeep and have driven at low speeds on 90+ degree days and never any problems. So they do work. If I had a factory shroud and fan I'd likely not use an electric fan though. A shroud and mechanical fan are a project for another day though. One big dislike for the electric fans is the noise they make.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-16-2021, 02:13 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post
...With you 5.0???, you need a louder exhaust. With a louder exhaust, you will not hear the fan.

Actually with my setup, I rarely hear the fan and it has only gone into high speed a couple of times on 110 degree days. I had much more noise with the Mustang clutch fan on hot days. That stock fan really made a roar.

I am curious why it your fan so loud. That is a Ford factory fan designed for a passenger car. Do you have an OEM Motorcraft fan or is it aftermarket? There are lots of aftermarket replacements and they are not all made to the same standards. I got mine from a junkyard and all has been good for 5 years and I daily drive the Jeep. The Dakota Digital really keeps the fan on time to a minimum.

I really like that there is no fan attached to the water pump. It makes working on the engine so much easier.
Factory Ford Contour fan. I've got pretty good hearing too.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #12 of 12 Old 06-16-2021, 03:21 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

As in Junkyard.... I was wondering if some of the reproductions were different and maybe that is why some people do not like them. I have a Flex O Lite black magic fan on my 1956 GMC that is down right obnoxious. Everyone has a different tolerance.
As I have said, I find the Contour fan to be one of the best changes I have made to my Jeep. It just plan works. I also have better off the line torque on a hot day. Those clutch fans really suck the horsepower on a hot sunny day. It probably did not help that I did not have a shroud when I had the stock Mustang fan but I had no heating problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Factory Ford Contour fan. I've got pretty good hearing too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in