CJ 7 Choke wiring - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Subman

CJ 7 Choke wiring

I have an 84 CJ7 with 258 cid straight 6. It currently has a 1 barrel Carter Carb with manual choke. I want to replace with a 2 barrel with electric choke.Can anyone help with the correct wiring harness color code for the choke wire. Also, what electrical can be remoned, and still run correctly?
Terry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 PM
sweetguardian00
1946 CJ2A 

its called a NUTTER, and personally, if it were my Jeep (because i have DONE this to 3 Jeeps), i would get the Weber/EMPI carb, and the HEI distributor, then all you REALLY need is 2 wires, electric choke and distributor (which is the candycane colored wire going to the ignition control module, its switched on thwe column) so it will start just like normal, except she will have alot of power

1946 CJ-2A 225/T90/D18
1966 CJ-5 231/T86/D18
1986 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300
1984 C-10 6.2/SM465
Yeah it's a Diesel
post #3 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 10:07 PM
sweetguardian00
1946 CJ2A 

basically you remove the computer, OBD thing on the passenger fender, ignition control module, all the wires going to the carb, and a bunch of crap!

1946 CJ-2A 225/T90/D18
1966 CJ-5 231/T86/D18
1986 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300
1984 C-10 6.2/SM465
Yeah it's a Diesel

post #4 of 15 Old 12-31-2008, 04:48 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well if he currently has a 1 bbl he's not using he computer anyway and he's asking about the electric choke.

How much of the original wiring harness is left?
Are you planning on using the water heated manifold the 84 came with?

The choke and the Manifold heater are both used in 84 to help drivability in the cold weather.

Basically, there is an oil pressure switch that sends power to the electric choke once the engine is running. There is also a relay connected to the oil pressure switch that turns on the manifold heater. THe other side of the relay is connected to a temperature switch in the manifold to turn off the manifold heater when the water gets warm enough.

Some of the original wiring for the relay and electric choke run through the OEM computer harness. It gets tossed out when some people do a "Nutter bypass" That is why I ask how much of the original harness you have.

I'll post some pictures of the parts you need to see if you can eyeball any of it or you might have to do some rewiring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #5 of 15 Old 12-31-2008, 09:47 AM
KBONSIG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just ran a wire (red and white) off the oil switch direct to the carb after nutter.

2003 TJ RUBICON (CURRENT)
1985 CJ7 I6
2000 TJ I6
1995 YJ 4Cyl
1987 YJ I6
post #6 of 15 Old 01-01-2009, 03:20 PM
sweetguardian00
1946 CJ2A 

if he has an 84, then his jeep came factory with the computer controlled harness

no offense against the Carter carb. (i do not want to get flamed for this) but from MY experience with them, they are absolutly horrible to keep running

1946 CJ-2A 225/T90/D18
1966 CJ-5 231/T86/D18
1986 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300
1984 C-10 6.2/SM465
Yeah it's a Diesel
post #7 of 15 Old 01-02-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Subman

84 with 1 barrel carb

I am new to this jeep. I will have to look and see what is left of the original wiring harness. I have not noticed many new wires under the hood, nor have I noticed any cut wires under the hood. I will investigate the Nutter, but for right now, I just need to know how to wire the electric choke. I bought a Weber carb new, and it has the electric choke. The 1 barrel carter has a manual choke.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-02-2009, 10:22 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetguardian00 View Post
if he has an 84, then his jeep came factory with the computer controlled harness

no offense against the Carter carb. (i do not want to get flamed for this) but from MY experience with them, they are absolutly horrible to keep running
But he has a Carter YF 1bbl. THat was not available in 84. I bet someone put in an older engine. THats why I asked how much of the old harness he has left. You can put in a 79 engine harness right into an 84 firewall harness with practically no changes and cut out a lot of wiring. The gauges will matchip on the firewall plug and igniton and lights.

Since he has a 1 bbl YF then the computer harness isn't connected anyway because the YF 1bbl has no connection for feedback mixture control. The 1 bbl exhaust doent even have a O2 bong hole.

Also I wuld not run an electric choke off the ignition switch. If you have any problems starting the jeep in cold weather then the electric choke will warm up to quicly and you wil play bloody heck trying to get it started. I would run it off theoil pressure swith also. That way you will not have to worry about it heating up until the engine is actually running.

I would leave the manual choke on the 2bbl, wichever one he goes with. And get a 2bbl manifold for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 Old 01-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subman View Post
I am new to this jeep. I will have to look and see what is left of the original wiring harness. I have not noticed many new wires under the hood, nor have I noticed any cut wires under the hood. I will investigate the Nutter, but for right now, I just need to know how to wire the electric choke. I bought a Weber carb new, and it has the electric choke. The 1 barrel carter has a manual choke.
In my opinion the stock Carter BBD "2BBL" carb that came on your year's engine is far better than a weber, especially that cheap 34 solex clone folks get stuck with.

To see if you have the stock carb, look at the throat. It will have one hole at the top that splits into two 'barrels' lower down under the one choke plate and it has a large electric plug on the back side of the carb.

If you already have a different carb, then you need to see if the computer is still hooked up or it will be in limp mode which clamps down on the timing advance. To check, locate the ignition module way down on the drivers fender under the washer bottle and see if the one plug on it with the orange and purple wires has the purple hooked up. If it is hooked up, the computer has likely been disabled, if it terminates at the plug, then the computer is still in there affecting things.

Stock a wire comes from the oil pressure sender to power up the choke. It is a red wire with a white stripe with likely two wires in the one plug that goes on the choke.

Personally I hate those timer chokes that open according to how long they see 12 volts, not according to how warm or cold the engine really is so I went manual.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
post #10 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 12:18 AM
jorns
1986 CJ7 

I have allmost the same question about this two wires.

I have a 86 cj, with 258 engine. I have installed a painless 10100 wire set, and they miss out those wires from the oilpressure switch, They have the purple one wich goes to the oil pressure gauge.

On my oilpressureswitch i have a cable with two wires. One red with white stripe and the other red.
So is the conclussion this:
The red one gose to the wires that comes from under the manifold?
The red/white goes to the electric choke (same place as the Choke wire is connected on the carb?)?

Sorry for my english.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 04:41 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorns View Post
I have allmost the same question about this two wires.

I have a 86 cj, with 258 engine. I have installed a painless 10100 wire set, and they miss out those wires from the oilpressure switch, They have the purple one wich goes to the oil pressure gauge.

On my oilpressureswitch i have a cable with two wires. One red with white stripe and the other red.
So is the conclussion this:
The red one gose to the wires that comes from under the manifold?
The red/white goes to the electric choke (same place as the Choke wire is connected on the carb?)?

Sorry for my english.
On the 86 on solid red wires runs to the firewall plug (cavity CZ ). it also supplies power to the backup lamp. This is the source of power for the relay and e-choke and Backup lamps. The other wire (Red/White) runs to the Manifold Heater RELAY and then onto e-choke.

The power for the manifold heater is right off the fusable link and runs to relay.

post #12 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 05:22 AM
jorns
1986 CJ7 

Wow, this was great.

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll try this out when i get home.

Once again thanks.

Jorn
post #13 of 15 Old 11-19-2010, 02:58 AM
jorns
1986 CJ7 

Just to be sure. This is how i did it, and also another question.

1) This is the orange cable from the relay. It's connected to the red wire wich come from under the manifoild. Correct?
2) The green wire from the relay is connected to the bolt (small sensor) on the side of the manifoild. Correct?
3) This cable comes from the red/white wire on the oil pressure switch, and it's connected to the relay, and back of the BBD under the airfilter. Correct?
4) I have no idea where to connect it to the Painless wire system. It's not the same as the original wire system. On the old wire set it seems like it was connected to the battery side of the starterrelay. Correct?
5) Just the relay for the e-choke setup,correct?
6) no picture, but the other cable from the oil pressure switch (red). Where exactly can i connect it to the painless wire system (same place as no 4?)?

Thanks, Jorn
post #14 of 15 Old 11-19-2010, 08:00 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorns View Post
Just to be sure. This is how i did it, and also another question.

1) This is the orange cable from the relay. It's connected to the red wire wich come from under the manifoild. Correct?
Correct

Quote:
2) The green wire from the relay is connected to the bolt (small sensor) on the side of the manifoild. Correct?
Correct

Quote:
3) This cable comes from the red/white wire on the oil pressure switch, and it's connected to the relay, and back of the BBD under the airfilter. Correct?
Correct

Quote:
4) I have no idea where to connect it to the Painless wire system. It's not the same as the original wire system. On the old wire set it seems like it was connected to the battery side of the starter relay. Correct?
Correct, after the fuseable link need some sort of protection on that circuit.

Quote:
5) Just the relay for the e-choke setup,correct?
Correct

Quote:
6) no picture, but the other cable from the oil pressure switch (red). Where exactly can i connect it to the painless wire system (same place as no 4?)?
You could but It would be better to run it to a switched circuit such as the wire that supplies power to your backup lights or run it inside the jeep and connect it to the accessory circuit like the volt meter or something.

Thanks, Jorn[/QUOTE]

post #15 of 15 Old 11-19-2010, 05:07 PM
jorns
1986 CJ7 

Excelent.

I took the red/white wire and connected it to the bakcuplight as you said, and i took the other red (big one) from the relay and connected it to the cigarette lighter. Thanks a lot for your help.

Jorn

1986 Jeep Cj7, 258CID, Dana300/30/44, Automatic, frame off 2010/11.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in