civilianjeep.info is completely gone. Any suggestion on starting my own site? - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

civilianjeep.info is completely gone. Any suggestion on starting my own site?

Looks like Jeephammers civilianjeep.info site is gone.

I was hosting all my pictures up there and was able to download the majority of them a month ago.

Is it possible to host my own website so I can put my own pictures on that site?

Looks like it about 2 gigs of pictures I used.

Not really interested in places like photobucket anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 07:40 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

98blacktj on Pirate is a web host that a lot use and is into Jeeps. http://www.sbwinvps.com/

Also, I am seeing a lot of new sites popping up being hosted on Wix. https://www.wix.com/

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 07:46 AM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

No idea on the site part, but his junkyard genius site is also gone. And Mr. N's site (littlekeylimecj or something like that) that had amazing amounts of D44/D60 axle knowledge has been gone for awhile now.

I think we often take sites these for granted and assume the will always be around and forget that someone is paying (I assume) to keep that info available. I've been meaning to download the FSM from oljeep's page and save them in a few places (external HD & maybe an SD card or something) just in case.

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal

post #4 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 07:50 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Has something happened to JH that they are down? I read about backups of sites, maybe someone can contact and see if those backups are availavle to use to pick the site back up from him?

78 CJ5 302HO, T177/D300, 86 WT 30/44, Aussie F/R

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I recall something called 'wayback' that lets you retrieve old data off old sites. I got a bunch of info off the old CJOFFROAD.com site.
I'll have to look into that.

I was just wondering if I can put my old computer on the web and register my own domain name and store pictures that way that can be displayed on a forum somehow.

I remember doing something like at work a long time ago and it was pretty cheap.

post #6 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 08:34 AM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Sounds like it's not so cheap anymore.
https://www.whoishostingthis.com/blo.../website-cost/
Not sure how WIX went from oil filters to web hosting, but... https://www.wix.com/

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

post #7 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 04:06 PM
onemanarmy

yea...its pretty easy..and decently cheap

Either buy a domain from GoDaddy or the like (10-12$ per year) and then pay to host it somewhere (so your site will just be www.xxxxx.com) or pay and host through weebly/wix/etc (but your site will be www.xxxxx.weebly.com) Some places let you host a certain size site for 'free' if you buy the domain from them.

Or use Google photos or something like that, for almost free.

Good thing about buying the domain separate is that if somehow it blew up and stated making money, you could possibly sell it. Then you can upgrade space as needed for more $$$.
post #8 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 05:34 PM
DesertNV

1986 CJ7 

Looks like its parked at GoDaddy.
Permission will be needed by the owner.

http://civilianjeep.info/?reqp=1&reqr=

DesertNV
post #9 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertNV View Post
Looks like its parked at GoDaddy.
Permission will be needed by the owner.

http://civilianjeep.info/?reqp=1&reqr=
Yeah, not sure how that works. Sometimes if I type the name in wrong on a website I get transferred to one of these hosing sites asking if it's mine or I want to own it.

post #10 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 07:22 PM
onemanarmy

It's parked because they quit paying to host it (store data)

You can buy it if they are willing to sell. You'd have to contact the owner.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
post #11 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 09:15 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
It's parked because they quit paying to host it (store data)
So how does that work? Is the data that he had stored there now theirs, or do they delete what's there and repossess the name only? Who has the rights to that data? I'm ignorant to how all this stuff evolved over the past decade or so.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

post #12 of 47 Old 01-30-2019, 07:48 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

This is why I always try to download any useful info to my computer. Jeephammer's website was loaded with valuable diagrams. Unfortunately, I didn't download many of them.

Adventures Under the Hood is another website that we should consider archiving.

Matt
John Strenk likes this.

post #13 of 47 Old 01-30-2019, 07:54 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Here is the latest archive data from civilianjeep.info if anyone wants to grab the data. You can jump around on archive dates if the page you want doesn't come up.

http://web.archive.org/web/201808090...lianjeep.info/

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #14 of 47 Old 01-31-2019, 10:35 AM
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Here is the latest archive data from civilianjeep.info if anyone wants to grab the data. You can jump around on archive dates if the page you want doesn't come up.

http://web.archive.org/web/201808090...lianjeep.info/

Some of the links are dead, but here's the JYG website archive to fill in any blanks.

http://web.archive.org/web/201804100...s.com/toc.html

'84 CJ-17: 17" stretch, locked Toy axles, 5.5" lift, FI, AX15, D300 w/twin sticks, boatsides & junk.
post #15 of 47 Old 02-02-2019, 09:33 AM
newun
1985 CJ7 

So there are two costs to running a website:

• DNS registration: this is a yearly cost of about $10-13 that you pay to own the name "civilianjeep.info" and make it point at your server.
  • Hosting: this is usually a monthly cost, starting at a couple bucks and going up from there, which you pay to basically rent space on a web server to store your website and serve it out to visitors.
GoDaddy and some other companies will provide both of these as a bundle, but beware GoDaddy can be kind of scummy. Personally, I use namecheap.com to buy my domain names and linode.com to rent servers for $5/mo.

There are a few ways you can reduce these costs. If you want the free basic option, just skip to the last paragraph, otherwise read on.

The easiest is by using a free dynamic DNS service for the domain name; this means you can't get "my-civilian-jeep.com", but for example if you sign up at www.noip.com, you could get "joes-jeeps.ddns.net" and it won't cost you a penny. If you use dynamic DNS, you can actually run your own webserver on your home internet connection, but setting that up securely is challenging enough that I won't suggest it.

As for hosting, Dreamhost (https://www.dreamhost.com/) has a pretty good deal at $2.59/mo for a basic hosting plan. Combine that with a free dynamic DNS name and you should have a pretty solid site for about $30/year. Dreamhost isn't the only option out there, of course, but it's well-regarded and has been around a long time.

If you don't expect to store too much, Neocities (https://neocities.org/) is free and gives you 1 GB of storage. The cool thing about neocities is that it's all-in-one: they give you the DNS name (for example my-jeep-pics.neocities.org) and provide the storage for you. If you go over 1 GB of pictures and webpages, you can upgrade to a 50GB plan for $5/mo which is really quite reasonable.
John Strenk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in